Labs & Conversation

I walk into first period, sitting down in my assigned seat next to Lucy. She gives me the normal flirty smile, but it doesn't spike my attention. Not today.

"Good morning, Camila." She says when I don't return her smile. I advert my gaze from the door where my eyes were looking for Lauren.

"Hello, Lucy." I smile softly, just to be polite. Her face glows when my lips reflect her smile. Expect, my smile doesn't have the same amount of passion.

"How've you been?" Lucy asks kindly, her whole body turned toward me. That's how I can tell she is into me. Her flirty phrases and gestures don't help either.

"You asked me this yesterday." I laugh, my smile growing.

Don't get me wrong, Lucy is a very attractive girl but she is no Lauren. She doesn't have that mysterious edge to her. There is no danger with her. No silence before the storm.

"Yeah, and I'm still curious." Lucy winks.

"Well, I've been alright. Same as what I said yesterday." I answer, my eyes looking past Lucy and back at the door. Where is Lauren?

"Any reason why you are just 'alright'?" Lucy inquires, concern in her tone. I shrug, taking a breath.

"Nope." I lie, pushing down the bubbling emotions of yesterday. That's in the past.

"You can always talk to me, you know." Lucy hums, reminding me softly. I nod in acknowledgment, my eyes not leaving the door.

Through the month and half I've been here, I've learned that Lauren and Lucy aren't very friendly. Whenever Lauren used to come over to our desk when we were on good terms, Lucy would completely bash her. What's weird is that Lauren doesn't do anything when she does.

I don't know if it's Lucy being possessive or jealous or if it's something else. I've decided not to ask quite yet.

"Of course." I finally say to Lucy.

Suddenly, the bell rings and the door closes. Everyone is in their seat except Lauren. Ally notices my glancing around and waves. I wave back, smiling at her but right when she looks away, my smile fades.

Not this again. Whenever Lauren skips school, it isn't good.

Maybe she is just late.

-~-

Lauren didn't show up to lunch. Dinah seemed extremely worried about her and Normani was, too. Ally didn't sit with us today; she sat with Troy and his friends. I'm happy for her.

I was, too, concerned as to where Lauren is. I know, I shouldn't be obsessing over her every move and whatever but I can't help it. I'm a concerned friend.

And that whole scene yesterday doesn't help.

Right now, I'm in science alone while Mr. Indigo explains our lab for today.

"Your partner and you will combine the correct chemicals to make the reaction in your book." Mr. Indigo says, clasping his hands together. He paces the room, clomping his feet loudly.

All of the students today have their partner with them so I have to do the lab alone. Sounds like hell.

"Don't forget to wear your goggles for the whole experiment!" Mr. Indigo reminds us harshly, narrowing his eyes at all of us.

I huff, blowing a strand of my hair out of my face. I pull on my goggles, already feeling like an idiot.

Picking up a test tube and swirling it awkwardly, I wish Lauren was here. It would be so much more fun if she were here.