Butterflies

"Ugh," Lauren groans from beside me, finishing putting her empty paper sack into the trash. "I have science next. That class is always boring."

"Really? It didn't seem so boring yesterday, but I guess it kind of was because we did a lab and my partner wasn't there." I share, pursing my lips while Dinah stands up to put her tray away.

"It's always boring." Lauren sighs, laying her head in her arms on the table. She turns her head to look up at me, her eyes shining. "I don't have a lab partner. I sit alone because, apparently, Mr. Indigo thinks I don't work well with others."

"Oh my god, really?" Dinah laughs and Lauren nods pitifully, her eyes moving to Dinah. I suddenly feel insignificant.

"Yeah, that's literally what he said to me." Lauren chuckles humorlessly, rolling her eyes. "I like to think that I'm compatible."

"Says the girl who has never been in a relationship.." Dinah mumbles, earning a glare from Lauren.

"Hey, I dated that one guy for a week but he was stupid and, you know..." Lauren lets her sentence trail off, making eye contact with Dinah. Dinah nods in acknowledgment, letting the air stay silent.

"You were a freshman and you didn't know yet, it's okay, Lauren." Normani assures the green-eyed girl. Lauren smiles slightly, but it's enough to make me jittery.

"Mr. Indigo says that he placed me next to who he did because he thinks my talkative nature will rub off on her." I shrug, looking down at my hands. "I don't think I talk that much... only when I'm excited about bananas going on sale at Safeway."

"Wait, what period do you have science?" Lauren asks, her eyes fixed on my face. I feel like I'm in a spotlight when I'm under her gaze. Is that why I feel nervous?

"Third. Right after this." I huff, gesturing around the lunch table.

"Me too!" Lauren beams, a grin spreading across her lips. Realization spreads across her features. "What if he sat you next to me?"

"Would that be a good thing or a bad thing?" I ask before answering, unsure of how the beauty feels about me. One second, she is kind, tender, and sweet but then something happens and she becomes cold and timid.

"A great thing! You're really good company, Camila." Lauren grins, making me feel much better about myself. "Where do you sit in the classroom?"

I tilt my hand in a so-so manner. "In the middle, second row." I reply, biting my bottom lip gently in thought.

"That's where I sit." Lauren's emerald eyes gleam in the cafeteria light. "Awesome, I finally have someone to sit by."

"Is that all I am to you?" I fake offense, wiping away a pretend tear and clutching my heart.

"Never!" Lauren places the back of her hand on her forehead, casting her eyes over into the distance dramatically. "I would never do you like that."

"Don't lie to me!" I cry, my faux pain causing eyes to float over to us. Dinah sticks her tongue at them before turning to us.

"You guys are dorks." Dinah rolls her eyes, giggling nevertheless.

"Yeah," I giggle. "Cute dorks." I suddenly feel Lauren's eyes pass over me. I ignore the urge to glance over at her.

The bell rings, cueing us to head to our classes.

"Ew, I have english." Dinah complains, slinging her backpack over her shoulder.

"Hey! I have english with you!" Normani scoffs at her friend who laughs loudly, bumping her hip into her friend's. They flip around and begin to walk the opposite direction of us.