22.

Moment of silence for this song that fits this chapter ever so perfectly...

"For Your Eyes Only"

_____*****_____

"Nope," I shook my head, spinning back to my drink.

Anne's loud sigh came from beside me, but she didn't say anything. Instead, she kept playing with her drink.

"Anne," I nudged.

Despite her hidden annoyance, she answered, "Yes?"

"I already tried with him. He has a girlfriend."

Her shoulders shrugged, "Okay. There's also that old man in the suit over there. Doubt he doesn't has a wife."

My eyes rolled, "For fuck's sake, Anne." Before I cowered down, I hopped off the stool and readjusted my dress. I didn't miss Anne's beaming smile.

The closer I got to him, the more nervous I became. That is until I actually reached him and almost walked past him.

"Harry?"

He seemed distracted, lost, and even a little gone. For a moment I decided to just pretend I never came over, but I would end up feeling ridiculous. So I called his name once more, tapping him on the shoulder as I did so.

His eyes snapped over to mine, widening up a bit before turning his body towards me, "Hey, Selene."

He gestured for me to take the seat next to him. "Thanks."

"Of course," he sounded a bit tipsy. "What brings you here?"

I nodded over to where Anne was pretending not to stare. He chuckled in response, "I see."

There was something different about him. Had it just been the drinks hitting him hard, I would've dismissed it, but there was a dullness in him that I couldn't push aside because right now, he looked... broken.

Maybe it was the fact that I had already interacted with him before, that gave me the courage to ask in a blunt whisper, "Are you okay?"

He gave me a lazy smile in amusement, "Why wouldn't I be?"

My teeth bit my bottom lip, it was a nervous habit. I shrugged my shoulders, head tilting sideways in a sublimal way of letting him know that it was okay to speak his mind.

"Not sure," I answered pathetically.

He drank from his glass, swallowing hard as if whatever was bothering him would burn down his throat as well.

In an attempt to lighten the mood and direct the tense atmosphere elsewhere, I asked about what he seemed so happy about the last time I saw him.

Even though I dreaded the next words, it gave me an opening to create small talk, "How's Jane?"

But instead of the smile I was excpecting, his body froze, eyes hard and fist clenching. His knuckles turned white and his breathing became sharp. The sudden change in demeanor threw me off guard.

This wasn't the reaction I was hoping for, "Harry-"

His frown and the small head shake he gave me cut me off. My shoulders slumped, I really had blown it.

With no time to lose, he took his wallet out, placing a crisp bill under his glass before standing up in front of my seat. He was going to tell me to mind my own business, which apparently is what I deserve. Yet another embarrassing moment in front of him.