62.

One Year Later

I laughed at the screen as Anne complained about Liam naming their small dog, Bear.

"Would it have killed him to name him Teddy?" She rolled her eyes. The small dog licked her face, causing her to grin and kiss him.

"What time are you leaving for work?" I set the knife down before throwing the pieces of chicken into the pan.

Anne shuffled around before saying, "In about an hour, but I have to finish cleaning up. Liam cleaned yesterday, so it shouldn't be too bad."

The noise that emitted from the sizzling pan blocked out Anne's words, so I put the fire to low, "What was that?"

"I said, why don't you come over to visit? Liam and I have an extra room. We haven't hung out in ages."

A sad smile played on my lips as I moved the chicken around.

Anne and I hadn't seen each other since I moved, well, since we both moved. She was busy with her new make up store and I had been too busy getting my degree in Journalism. The diner was more than what I had asked for, and it was true that I preferred the new life I had created.

The town wasn't too big, but I had made new friends, and established new relationships with the people that came and left the diner.

At home it was just me, I was free to do whatever I wanted, whenever I wanted. I had saved enough to sustain myself without any faults.

"Maybe I'll try to go this weekend," I finally responded.

"No," she countered. "You are coming over this weekend... it's been too long."

I looked over to catch the sad expression on her face. She had invited me over a few times before, but I had become an expert at making up excuses and changing the conversation to avoid touching the past.

"Okay," I grinned.

***

As I packed my small duffle bag for the weekend, I suddenly became self conscious. Was this enough?

Deciding not be an Anne, I zipped up the last of my things and walked over to my car. The drive would be long, so I went to the liquor store first.

"Hey, Selene," Tim greeted from the counter. "Buying some of your favourite chips?"

I chuckled as I made my way over to them, "You know me too well. But I'm also going to need a few more items today and fifty for gas."

I looked over my shoulder as he spoke, "Sounds like you're going far. Hope you're not leaving us so soon."

As I shook my head, I grabbed some water, "I would never leave you, Tim."

His eyes wrinkled at their edges, his glasses rising up slightly from his nose, "That's good to hear." He checked my items before I bid him goodbye.

I felt nervous as the "Come Back Soon" sign flew past my line of vision. It was strange though. When I lived in the city and I headed back to my parents, it was like walking back into the past. Now it would feel the exact same way as I headed back to the city.

I stopped along the way more times than I should have, but I couldn't help and stall and when I finally made the last exit, I had to convince myself not to turn back and tell Anne something came up.

Liam's place came into view, and slowly I made my way into their driveway.

Anne was the first to come flying out, but I couldnt help it. Leaving the car on, I scrambled out and wrapped my arms around her.

We stood like that until Liam peeked out and Bear came running out from behind him.

"Come inside, you must be tired," Anne pointed out as she led me inside. She wasn't wrong, I was physically and mentally exhausted.

We didn't do any more than catch up with each other. Liam and Anne were genuinely happy together, and as a close friend, I couldn't be any happier for them both.

Since I had arrived later than I should have, it had become late and Anne finally let me have some sleep.

It was strange. We used to sleep with one wall dividing the both of us, and in a way, the nostalgic sense of déjà vu brought a smile to my lips.

I fell asleep to the sound of the cars driving past the highway, finding it odd that I had missed it as much as I had missed Anne.