41.

My phone started to ring an hour before I had to get up and get ready for work.

In the groggy state I was in, I didn't read my mom's contact before hitting the green button and only became aware it was her once she spoke.

"Selene," she was crying.

"Mom?" I sat up slowly, pushing the comforter to the side, confused as to why she would call me this early to cry over the phone.

"Selene I need to tell you something."

My mind went to the worst, "Is Dad okay?"

She sniffed before replying, "Your dad's fine. More than he should be, actually."

I noticed the shift of tone that turned into something bitter.

"Then what is it?"

She was silent for a few seconds before sobbing, "He's found someone else."

My mouth went dry. I couldn't comprehend what in the world she was talking about- whether it was due to the shock or simply because it was to early for my brain to function.

"What do you mean?"

I heard her swallow down before she whimpered, "Your dad found a girlfriend. And now I'm-" she choked out a breath. "I'm in the guest bedroom. I've been sleeping here for a few nights and I guess it- I guess it finally caught up to me. I feel so alone, Selene."

The breath that blew out of my lips required much effort.

"You think I'm lying? Selene, your dad and I haven't been okay in a while. A long while. And if I'm honest, I don't think I can do this on my own."

I frowned as realization set in. The thought bothered me, but I had to ask for the answer that would make me curse softly to myself, "You want me to go back?"

My mom sighed. I could already see her punching the bridge of her nose, "Yes. I know that things didn't turn out so great after our last encounter-"

Or the previous.

"But it would help me out so much if I had someone by my side."

My hand ran through my hair before sliding down my face.

"Okay," I sighed. My mind was trying to come up with excuses as to why I couldn't go, even after agreeing. I had to push those thoughts away before they slipped out, "I'll be there as soon as I can."

She thanked me before we hung up.

It was strange to think that my dad had found someone else. It kind of even hurt a little. Two people you thought would be together until death did them part, and then it completely changing into such a broken picture.

Which I guess was the good part; that the majority of the memories were captured into a frozen image of something that once shone with life.

But I didn't know why I didn't feel such a big punch because of it. There was a part of me that guessed it was because I hadn't been the closest for a few years. The bond had been fading and that was even more sad to think about.

I shook my head before pulling the comforter around me once more. I still had about an hour left of sleep.

____****____

A/N: BLACK INK WAS #472 IN FANFICTION

I couldn't update sooner to announce it ):