Chapter Fourteen

After spending the night with Bruce, Eva decided to go back to her crammed flat with Veronica.

The minute she entered the apartment, many questions were thrown her way. Except Frank, who kept quiet and looked at his phone pretending that he was busy. ​

"Where have you been?!" Ashley clung onto Eva's arm and before Eva could answer, Veronica answered for her with a bright smile on her face that could rip her cheeks. "Oh, I'll tell ya where she been!"

Margo drum rolled on the table while Veronica sang, "Bruuuuceeee Waaaaynneeee!"

Frank immediately flinched at the name but kept his eyes glued to his phone. His actions didn't go unnoticed by Veronica, Margo and Sam.

"Oooo! Did ya guys do it yet?" Ashley winked at Eva as Eva pushed her off playfully and sat on the sofa beside Frank who instantly tensed. "No! We didn't do it yet. He just invited me to one of his parties and I fell asleep on his sofa, by the time I woke up, it was already too late to come back home. So, I slept over."

"Sounds like they did it to me!" Ashley clapped her hands while Eva rolled her eyes playfully.

Frank, however, couldn't take it anymore. He immediately stood up and grabbed his jacket. "You alright?" Eva asked him, surprised by his out burst.

Frank though, didn't answer Eva as he stormed out the apartment. "Frank!" Eva called out, chasing him. "Ev!" Veronica called out in protest but it was already too late to do so.

"Frank, wait a minute! Frank!" Eva caught up to Frank and pulled him back by his arm.

"What?" Frank answered harshly, his usually bright blue eyes were now dark.

"Frank...what is wrong?" Eva said nervously.

"What is wrong? Ev-" Frank shut his eyes tight, exhaling loudly in frustration before licking his lips. "Who asked you out to dinner first? Bruce or me?"

Eva filled with guilt, suddenly remembering that Frank asked her out to dinner before Bruce did. The silence of Eva made Frank confirm that it was him who asked her out to dinner first before Bruce did.

"Forget it." Frank muttered before walking away. This time Eva didn't chase after him as she was drowning in guilt.

Usually Eva would wait for Batman at one of the designated rooftops, she'd even come earlier to watch Gotham from the top. This time though, it was different.

As she reached the rooftop, batman wasn't alone, he was with Nightwing.

"You're late." Batman said as he watched K climb the fire escape stairs towards him and Nightwing.

"You do know we live a double life right? I had errands to do. Supermarket and all that." K said with a little sigh behind her mask as she approached the two men.

"Oh, I thought you only robbed banks and did all those criminal stuff, you know, the usual." Nightwing said sarcastically. Usually, K always had a comeback but this time she didn't. It made batman curious as to what was bothering the girl behind the mask.

"Nightwing." Batman warned his sidekick.

Working with the girl though, made him feel that she was very familiar to him but he couldn't put his finger on it.

The most he found familiar were her eyes.

"You'll be working with Nightwing tonight, see if both of you could track Crane. There are already some clues, but the rest you two will have to find." Batman said. "I'll work on finding Joker."

"Yes, sir." Nightwing said before he looked over at K, "think you can catch up with me?" Nightwing said in a cocky tone, obviously up for a competition to prove who was best.

"Oh don't get cocky with me wingy." K said as she began to walk off with Nightwing. Only, batman grabbed her gently by her forearm to grab her attention. "Are you alright?"

K could hear the concern in his voice even though he tried to cover it, "getting soft on me already?" With the look that batman gave her, she knew he wasn't amused at all.

She sighed before replying, "I'm fine, just a little dilemma is all."

"Alright Wingy, Batty gave us some of the few areas where Crane could be, where do you wanna start first?" K said from behind Nightwing as she followed him.

She noticed how flexible he was that at some point, it bothered her that the boy could be that flexible.

"The name's Nightwing." Nightwing said as he rolled his eyes.

"Whatever you say Wingy." A playful smirk grew on K's face when Nightwing groaned.

"Here, there's one of the locations that batman sent. Crane could be here." Nightwing abruptly stopped almost making K crash into him.

K stood beside him and watched that Nightwing was scanning that particular building along with the area, she immediately knew that the gadgets were shared between batman and his sidekicks. That meant that they all knew each other's identities.

"There are 20 of them, think you can do this?" Nightwing challenged the girl. "Oh boy, do you even listen to the words that come outta that mouth? I was born ready, I could do this any day!" Nightwing, yet again, rolled his eyes at the girl before leaping and leaving her to stand alone.

"Then let's see what you got!" Nightwing called out as she leaped after him.

"You're on!"

Nightwing and K were constantly combating non stop, K could feel the swear pile up under her mask and suit.

Unfortunately, Crane was not there but his crew was. Some were rather larger than the others, allowing Nightwing and K to team up and take them down, others carried different weapons that would electrify you if you touch them.

However, K noticed that Nightwing was a bit in trouble. He faced a fast moving man with a sword.

"Wing!" K shouted as she realized how close that sword was going to cut his arm off, as she ran towards Nightwing and pulled the boy back the sword only manage to slice through his forearm a little. If his suit didn't protect him enough and she didn't pull him back in time, he would've been done for.

Although, as she pulled him back, one of the goons managed to hit her in the rib cage, making her fall to the floor and wheeze.

"Okay...now I'm definitely mad!" K pulled herself together and couldn't feel the pain anymore because of her adrenaline.

At the end though, Nightwing noticed that K's skills weren't ordinary. She was skilled. It was no wonder batman had difficulties chasing after her all the time.

"How's the forearm?" K asked, genuinely concerned.

"Its alright. Your rib cage?"

"Oh, just peachy." K replied sarcastically.

A smile grew on Nightwing's face, "hey, we definitely work great together though." K turned to him with a smile he couldn't see but he manage to see that she was smiling by the way her eyes lit up and crinkled.

"Hell yeah we did, Wingy! Fist bump!"