Chapter Thirty Five

Eva spent her day in the manor under the watchful eyes of Alfred- he promised master Bruce that he would not allow Eva to scurry off and leave the manor due to the threat of Frank. So, Alfred occupied the woman with everything he got till Bruce came back. 

Alfred's brows were knitted and a small frown was placed on his face as Eva followed him down the bat-cave. 

"Hey, I know what you saw on the news upset you. But speaking from my experience, sometimes it's hard to avoid such things like that. Sometimes when you intend to do a lil' thing, let's just say shit gets outta hand, you know?" Alfred broke a smile at Eva's use of informal words.

But seeing Bruce Wayne dressed up as the big bat that criminals feared being chased down by the police all over Gotham stirred a sudden urge in the depth of Alfred's stomach to tell Bruce to give up being the cape crusader. 

As they entered the bat-cave they were met with hundreds of screeching bats and a sight of batman without his mask. 

"You alright there?" Eva decided to approach the man first as Alfred laid the tray of food on one of the cold metal tables as he stalked closer to the couple. 

Bruce hesitated before he answered, "I finally saw him." 

Eva knitted her brows in confusion, waiting for Bruce to explain further. 

"The Joker. He wears make up." The words that tumbled out of Bruce's mouth was sour, making Eva even more confused. 

"What do you mean? I thought you guys bumped into each other a couple of times before?"

"Not really, no. Just Harley Quinn, his devoted lover." 

Eva snorted and crossed her arms on her chest, "I think she's more obsessed with him than in love with him." Eva pushed herself on the table and crossed her legs, glancing over at Bruce's sweaty face, the shadows that danced under his eyes grew darker and his cheeks were rather red. 

"You look miserable." At Eva's words Bruce's lips twitched upwards as he met her honey orbs. 

"Thanks." Bruce simply said and before Eva could come up with another witty remark, her phone buzzed in her pocket. 

"Hello?" 

"Ev? Hey Eva, I think there's something wrong with M-Margo. You need to come fetch me. Now!" Veronica's voice was shaky as she spoke thru the phone, not waiting for a single response from her friend before hanging up the line. 

Bruce was alarmed by the horror that was written on Eva's face as her mouth gaped and her eyes widened, "Ev? Ev, what's wrong?"

"I think Margo is in trouble, Bruce I have to go." Before Eva could scurry off, Bruce caught her wrist to stop her. 

"I'm coming with you." 

It was already too late when Tigress finally got the chance to pinpoint where Margo will be. They found her body under the deck, her naked corpse slumped under the bloody words that was written on the wall.

This is where we kissed and ate Ice cream. You had cinnamon, I had vanilla. Margo is out the way, soon, more will go. 

The words on the wall made Tigress tremble in grief and anger while Victoria cradled Margo's dead body, until something too caught her eyes. 

"H-hey, there's an L on her c-chest." Batman stepped towards Margo's cold body and dug his fingers in the cut out letter in her chest and pulled out a diamond. 

"What the hell?" Veronica muttered as she finally let go of Margo's body letting it slump down to the floor and kissed her forehead before closing her half open lids. 

"F-first a ruby and now a diamond. What the fuck does that mean?" Tigress said in anger, not really asking anyone in general. 

As batman turned around, his cape swished behind him, "How did you know that Margo was in trouble?"

The usual growling of Batman's voice and harshness made Veronica jolt, she finally understood why the criminals feared him, "S-she texted me. All she texted was help. She didn't say anything else, I guess she was already running away from Frank while she decided to pull out her phone." 

Tigress' head hung low as thick tears threatened to spill out of her eyes. 

"Poor Margo, oh I'm so sorry." Tigress whispered to herself but Batman and Veronica heard her words. 

Batman had to shake off the pang in his heart and the urge to wrap his arms around Tigress for comfort, "he's targeting everyone close to Eva, I think you're next on his list." 

Before Veronica could open her mouth, she was taken aback by batman's words, "you know that Eva is the Tigress?!"

"That's not the point now." Tigress said as her eyes abandoned Margo's still body and shifted to her friend's dark orbs. 

"Does Bruce know about this!?" Veronica's questioning immediately as she pointed an accusing finger at Tigress. 

"No he does not, okay? Come on V, we gotta warn the others and get you to a better and safer place."