Chapter Sixteen

"You have to tell Bruce, Eva!" Dick said while folding his arms on his chest, staring at Eva as she shrinked under his gaze. 

"I-I will!" Eva said nervously. 

Was she going to tell Bruce? She was scared to tell him. After all, Bruce was batman. How could she?

Dick and Eva made their way back to Wayne Manor in an awkward silence that killed Eva slowly, but they found themselves bickering at each other in the kitchen. As Eva kept biting her nail, looking anywhere and everywhere besides Dick, the boy came up with a conclusion. "You're not gonna tell him are you?" 

Eva sighed loudly, almost pulling her hair out of her scalp. "Dick, how can I tell him? its him! Bruce is Batman, and I'm part of the scums that thrive on robbery and- Dick," Eva cried out, "Bruce is so much more different than I am...if I do tell him, he'll never look at me ever again." As Eva spoke her own words, it finally hit her. She was convinced that she was right. 

Eva pouted, resting her chin in her palm still avoiding Dick's gaze. Dick's hard gaze softened, he sighed silently. He couldn't help but feel bad for Eva. He was disappointed to find that Tiger was actually just Eva, but Eva wasn't entirely a bad person. 

"How'd you end up like this?" Dick mustered up the courage to ask her, finally she met Dick's eyes. All of a sudden, as Dick took a closer look and dived into Eva's brown eyes that glittered from the sunlight, he saw truly, deep down, she was broken. But he saw it for a second before she blinked and licked her lips before speaking. 

"I was an orphan, and at the age of nineteen..I met Veronica. She was mixed with the wrong people- at that time she was only twenty- we mixed and we mixed with different people till we met Sam and Margo then all of a sudden, we met Ashley and Frank and- oh Dick," Eva sighed before she continued, "we were so desperate, we were so young too. I had the skills, we all had the skills and all of a sudden, we were making deals to steal and rob for other rich people who couldn't do it themselves. When we did that...more food was in the fridge. I managed to stay a year longer in college." Eva smiled sadly at Dick. "But then, we were in too deep. We couldn't stop." 

"We joined the other scums of Gotham." Eva snorted as she rolled her eyes but Dick saw right thru it. "It doesn't matter Dick, its not where you come from, you know? its what you make of it later." Eva sighed at her own words. 

Dick noticed that today, there were a lot of sighing being exchanged between the two. 

Dick leaned forward and his gaze lingered on Eva, "Eva, Bruce is not like that. Bruce is far from that. He had his share of misery in the past. I had a rough past too, Bruce took me in." Dick suddenly had flashbacks of his parents' death, he blinked several times hoping that the flashback'll go away. 

"At least think about telling him, okay?" Eva nodded at Dick's words. "Thank you, Dick." Eva offered him a half smile that Dick returned too. "But you have to tell Bruce-"

"Tell me what?" Both Dick and Eva jumped in their seat as they turned their heads to the figure at the doorway. 

"Look Dick! Its Bruce!" Eva emitted a nervous laugh that made Bruce raise a brow. "Eva! It definitely is Bruce! Would you look at that!" Dick smiled nervously, as he slapped Eva's shoulder.

"What were you two talking about?" Bruce said as he removed his coat and threw it gently on the kitchen table. "Uh...umm.." Both Dick and Eva tried to figure out something to say under the stare of Bruce but they couldn't.

"Dinner?" Dick said but at the same time, Eva said another thing that made Bruce even more suspicious, "Party?"

Bruce folded his arms on his chest, glaring at the two, "What's going on?"

"Would you look at the time," Dick glanced over his wrist which had no watch wrapped around it, "I g-gotta go." Eva glared at Dick for leaving her alone with Bruce, he gave her an apologetic smile before dashing out the kitchen. 

Bruce cleared his throat as he waited an answer from Eva, "So...are you going to tell me?"

Eva stood up and made her way to Bruce, she had to find something quickly before he became suspicious. In an instant something came to mind, "We were just talking about Dick's crush on this girl." She smiled wickedly, it was revenge for Dick leaving her alone with Bruce. "And how does that involve me?" Without Eva realising, Bruce faced her and leaned closer, trapping her as his hands leaned on the counter on both her sides, surrounding her. 

"Well, he was too embarrassed to tell you so he asked me to tell you." Eva's smile grew bigger, invisible horns growing out of her skull. "Since you're good with the ladies and all." 

"Oh, am I?" Bruce said, a grin of his own grew too. Eva didn't realise what she said until she saw Bruce's grin. "Don't flatter yourself, Bruce." Eva said, smacking him on the chest only allowing him to catch her wrist and pulling her closer towards him. 

"You don't flatter yourself." Bruce chuckled while Eva rolled her eyes. 

Eva noticed that Bruce was leaning in for a kiss but she didn't want to kiss him. She already felt guilty. The moment she remembered what she had discovered, she was in shock again. He really was batman. 

Before Bruce could reach Eva's lips, he was interrupted. 

"Oh I think I walked in at a bad time. I did, didn't I?" Jason said folding his arms across his chest as he leaned on the fridge with a big goofy smile on his face, "oh no, don't stop there, carry on." 

Little did Eva know, Dick sent Jason downstairs to save Eva from bruce. 

Eva connected his sarcasm with another character she knew. Jason was Red Hood and she figured that Tim Drake was Robin. 

Eva walked on the sidewalk, hurrying back to her apartment until she saw a familiar figure in front of her making his way to her building. 

"Frank!" Eva shouted in relief, finally after a long time, she finally managed to see him. Eva ran towards Frank and grabbed him by the shoulder. 

When the man turned around, it was like he was a totally different person. His eyes were blood shot red, his usual pink lips were now pale and chapped, his hair was in a mess and he looked unusually yellow. "Frank..?" Eva managed to wheeze out. 

"Eva." Frank greeted harshly. Eva noticed that his usual bright blue eyes were now dark, almost black. How could that be?

"Frank, I wanted to speak with you for awhile. Frank- I'm sorry." At Eva's words, Frank started to shake, "what's so special about Bruce Wayne?" Frank said Bruce's name with disgust and hatred. "Is it because he's a billionaire? Is that it?" 

"Frank! No that isn't it-" 

"Then what is it Eva! Hmm? Tell me Ev, tell me what's so grea-t about the prince of Gotham? Is it because he's such a charming billionaire? His big mansion? His fast cars, hmm? Or is it because, whenever he fucks you, the money's bigger and nicer than what he has to put in between your legs!" Eva's mouth was agape, her eyes were wide, she never expected those particular words to come from Frank. 

"I've loved you ever since we've met, I've always been there for you, why Bruce Wayne!?" Frank shouted at Eva, his face close to hers. 

"Then why didn't you just fucking tell me!?" Frank didn't know how to respond at Eva's words, his body started to shake violently and before they both knew it, Frank threw a hard punch at Eva's face.