Chapter Thirty Three

After Eva and the rest found out that they couldn't perform a funeral for Ashley because her body was going to be in a freezer until the investigation was over, Eva had been avoiding people- including Bruce- for awhile.

Dick sent her many messages along with Bruce but Eva only replied to them with a short answer that really irritated Veronica whenever she had to text the woman. Bruce even passed by Veronica's and Eva's apartment hoping to catch Eva in time before she left the house but Veronica always gave him the same answer, "sorry, I didn't even know she left the house, handsome. She probably used the fire escape to leave. Or her window."

Before Bruce could leave with a tight smile on his face and a slight nod, Veronica sighed loudly and held him back, "I'm really worried about her, after Ashley's death...she's been running around, doing God knows what."

Although, Veronica knew what Eva was probably doing -she was prowling Gotham in search of Frank- Veronica was oblivious that Bruce knew who was Tigress.

"She's barely eating, barely home, she left all her books and doesn't read them in her free time anymore." Veronica said, a quiver in her voice that she could not hold back, "she barely even talks to anyone."

"Can I...can I see her room, if that's okay?" Veronica didn't hesitate to let the billionaire in their dingy apartment- Bruce didn't care about what their apartment looked like, while Veronica was trying to clean up, afraid that the man found the area odd. Bruce told her to stop and just relax and she obliged.

Eva's room was the same as last time but it gave Bruce the feeling that it was abandoned. Some of Eva's clothes were no longer hanging on the handle of her cupboard and her books that used to be sprawled out on the edge of her bed was now on the floor, Bruce picked up the latest book she was reading and read the front page; Elif Shafak - The 40 Rules of Love.

Bruce's eyes scanned over the books on her table and on the floor only to find variation of books that didn't seem to correlate with each other, some were fiction, non-fiction, classics, psychology, biography, comics and some other books that Bruce didn't get the chance to lay his eyes on.

However, something else caught his attention.

Blood stain on Eva's bed.

Bruce's rough hands gripped the blankets and sprawled it over on the other side of the room only to find several blood stains on the bed. The stains were rather big and it was at the edge of the bed where she'd usually rest, as Bruce slightly panicked, his eyes traveled to the floor beside the bed- several drops of blood was printed on the floor. Then, Bruce found some on the wall below her window, where it trickled down.

Immediately, Bruce took big strides towards Veronica who was sat on the sofa, stress smoking.

"Do you have any other safe place to stay in?" The sudden comment made Veronica scrunch her face at Bruce in confusion.

"I-I mean, I can stay over at Margo's? Why what's wrong? Did you-"

"No, that's not good enough. I'll send Alfred to come and get you and stay in a hotel."

"Who the hell is Alfred- that's not the point- Bruce! What's going on?"

"There's no time-" Veronica grabbed Bruce's forearm and squeezed hard, pulling him back.

"If there's something going on with Eva, I need to know now." Veronica glared at Bruce, waiting for an answer as she spoke dictatorially.

Bruce sighed before answering the inpatient woman, "I found blood on Eva's bed."

"I mean it could be her period- but actually, we're always in sync. We only get it in a few-"

"Veronica." Bruce cut the woman off, "wait here for Alfred, do you understand?" Bruce's dark orbs that turned Veronica's skin into goose-skin immediately obliged, Veronica watched the man take big strides out of the apartment in confusion.