01

"Hyerin-ssi!" a small voice whispered behind me. I turned around to see the quietest girl in the class looking at me. When she saw that I had my full attention on her, she continued, "I'm Juyi, can we be partners? I know you have no one to partner up with." I didn't really like her attitude but I had to accept the request anyway because I really had no choice. 

A normal day at Hanguk high school couldn't get much more boring than this. Going home was the best thing for students like the two of us, friends just don't come our way. Paying attention during class wasn't our thing either but we always managed to do well.

When finally the lunch bell rang, I packed up my stuff and quickly rushed to the cafeteria. First come first serve, except the fact that you can cut in line if you were given the permission to. I dashed over to the end of the line as I lightly bumped into someone, without looking up I gave him a small bow, "Sorry."

But I stopped when I noticed a pair of familiar black track shoes. I turned around just as he walked away into the crowd, Woojin I thought. Every little brain cell wasted on him made my heart ache but I did my best to ignore it, like always.

I quickly got in line just as my one and only friend, Sejeong, came charging through the crowd, she stopped in front of me to take a breath after running. I laughed lightly as she wiped off the newly formed sweat on her forehead, "Aww, dang it. You beat me again! Stupid Mr. Son, he had us clean up with Daehwi who had spilled all his pencil shavings!"

"What?" I giggled, covering my mouth, "Pencil shavings? Who uses actual pencils anymore?" Sejeong nodded in agreement and laughed without any sound coming out of her mouth, "H-he is so behind on the trends! Oh my god, you should've seen his face! He looked so stupid!" I watched as she continued laughing until the boy walked up to us and punched her on the shoulder.

"Hey!" he barked, except it didn't seem scary at all, "Stop it!" Sejeong didn't say anything but continued laughing. I gasped quietly and quickly looked away as Woojin walked up to Daehwi and swung his arm over his shoulders, "We should go now, Yoojung's waiting in the front of the line for us."

The two exchanged small insults before Daehwi was dragged away by the ear. I sighed as the line finally started moving, "Hey Se-" but when I was just about to say something, she had already taken out her phone to start playing.

"Hey." I told her, "You should stop studying so much. Tell your parents to cut down on your tutoring!" She looked at me like I was crazy, "But you know already! They won't! I have to do homework every single day! Study every single day!"

I groaned as I walked forward a little, seeing the lunch trays come to view, "You're top 10 in this school! What more do you have to study? This is why you never get to go out with me!" She looked up from her phone and pouted, "At least we went bubble tea twice."

I mentally rolled my eyes. Oh god. I couldn't blame her for being so hard working. It was my fault that I always get friends like her. Well, at least I have a friend.

-------

I sighed as I sat down with my tray of food across from Sejeong. I watched her as she pulled out her notebook and got to studying while at the same time trying to play her RPG battling games. I poked at my side dishes and slowly started eating. I felt as if the world had their eyes on me as I eat, I ate carefully so I wouldn't look messy.

I ate in silence as I looked around the cafeteria for something interesting to watch. But like any normal day, there was usually only a small argument in the back. Just then, I glanced at Woojin who was sitting a few tables away from ours. And then we locked eyes as I felt my heart beat like crazy. I quickly looked away as I felt my body grow uncomfortably warm.

Any eye contact of sorts in school had almost always made me uncomfortable. It was as if they were staring down at you, really watching your movements. But truthfully, I knew most people didn't have time to care about what new pen I got or new SNS update. They really didn't care.

I finished up my food and put my tray away before coming back to the table to study. I scratched the corner of my textbook with my fingernail for a minute before lifting my pencil up and starting to do something. But I didn't get far and ended up doodling idol group logos.

Sejeong, who was almost invisible to me for most of the time, looked up and shook her head at me, "No no no. Hyerin-ah, study! You have a test next period! Study!" I frowned slightly but did what she advised me to do, I flipped open my math notebook and started studying, Oh god I thought to myself as I looked at the number of pages to study, Cram study time.

-------

A/N: I'm sorry for a really decent and boring chapter but don't worry, it's only the beginning! Next chapter will be out in 48 hours so please anticipate! Thank you very much for reading the first chapter of Trust Me!