19

my life line

hyerin💖
hey
could you help me with hw

hyerin💖
where u at
fam?

hyerin💖
why arent you answer my calls
hey, did i do something wrong
are you ignoring me?

hyerin💖
fine
be like that

-------

I groaned as I shoved my phone into my pockets and ran over to Jinyoung who was walking ahead of me, "Boo!" I shouted as he flinched and pulled out his earplugs from his ears, "Hey! Hyerin, don't scare me like that!" I just shrugged and sighed, going back to the condition I was in before, "Yah, Jinyoung."

"Yeah?" he mumbled as he swayed side to side, bumping into me every few seconds. I shook my head, "Never mind." And walked ahead of him as he tried to follow, "Hey, why are you running away now?" I don't reply him and he gets where I'm going so we stay quiet for the rest of the walk to school.

Lunch time wasn't fun at all, I stuck onto Jinyoung who kept on trying to make me feel better but every time I watched the two walk pass us, I couldn't help but feel disappointed. The table was as loud as normal, but on one end, Woojin and Yoojung were laughing the whole time, they didn't even finish their lunch because they were so busy talking. I just poked at my food, thinking I don't have the appetite, but as always, I finish eating my lunch.

"Hyerin!" Woojin shouted from the other end of the table, I sighed and look up at him without saying anything. I can't believe he could call me so happily even knowing that he ignored all the texts and calls I sent him, "You want to go to the market after school?"

I frowned and went back to eating without answering, leaving Woojin hanging there. Jinyoung poked my forehead and scoffed, "She doesn't want to hang out with you, she's busy you know." I mouthed a thank you to Jinyoung as he mouth back no problem.

It hurt to watch him have so much fun with someone else even though I was happy he was smiling. I was jealous and I hated it. It pained me to think that he liked Yoojung and there was no way he would like me. But at the same time, it would hurt if you were forced to love someone that you have no feelings for.

-------

I sighed as I put down my finished cup of coffee. I pouted and placed my face on top of my hands, squishing it. Jinyoung laughed as he put down his cold americano, "Hey, stop sighing. You're making me sad." I immediately put on a smile and mumbled through my closed lips, "Ow aout his? (How about this?)"

"Dork," he chuckled as he pinched my cheeks. I heard the door open and subconsciously, I turned around to see Woojin with Yoojung on his back. I spun right back to look at Jinyoung, I grimaced at the thought, "Oh god. We told him I was busy." Jinyoung nodded as he pointed at my backpack, "Take out your notes."

So we did and just in time too, Woojin had seen us fiddling around with our notes and walked over, "Hey, I thought you were busy." he said, messing up my hair with his hand. I looked at Jinyoung for help and he was already on it, glaring at Woojin, "Can't you see we're studying here?"

"Are you avoiding me?" he asked but I kept my eyes away from him, looking down at my notes and whispering some math formulas, pretending to memorize them. Jinyoung, too, looked down at his notes and waved Woojin off. Finally, after irritating us for a minute, he walked away.

At the same time, we looked at each other, whispering, "Let's get out of here." and then, again, at the same time, "Agreed." and so we grabbed our backpacks and notes before striding out of the cafe, trying to look like we weren't being chased. I sighed, "Oh god, why doesn't he know?"

"Know what?" Jinyoung asked as he flipped his backpack the other way so he could put his notes back into it. I pulled out my phone and showed him the texts, "This. He didn't text me back at all." Jinyoung stopped in his tracks and pulled out his phone and showed me his texts with Woojin. He only texted Woojin a little bit earlier than I did and Woojin did reply.

I sighed as I sat down on one of the benches in front of a store and buried my head in my hands, "Jinyoung," I whispered as I felt him sit down next to me, "I'm scared." He rubbed my back, "Could you tell me what you're scared of? I mean I doubt hiding it will help you."

"Oh come on," I groaned as I looked up at Jinyoung who was beaming, "You can't smile at me like that." Jinyoung stopped smiling and turned his whole entire body towards me, "Hey, don't change the subject." I sighed as I nodded, "You're right, you deserve to know."

"I'm scared of losing Woojin," I sighed, "I mean like as a friend. In fact, I'm scared this whole thing will make me feel biased towards Yoojung and since we drifted away as friends at one point, I'm afraid I'll do it again. I'm scared I will become who I really fear, that girl who talks too much and speaks her mind without thinking. The one who keeps ordering people around to do things, the one who isn't funny. I'm afraid of what Daehwi and Somi think of me. They might look like they like me but I can't tell, I just... can't trust people."

I paused as I stole a glance with Jinyoung, "And... I don't trust you either." I gulped as I waited for him to reply but he doesn't, instead, he flashes a small warm smile, encouraging me to continue. I rubbed my thumbs together, hesitating but I decide to say it anyways, "I'm scared of what you think of me. Maybe we used to be really good friends but as kids, we didn't know what it meant to be mature. We were all innocent and making friends was easy but now I really don't know what you think about me."

"M-me," he stuttered nervously but when I looked at him suspiciously he calmed himself down, "You mean as a f-friend right? Well, let's be honest. I love you. And I don't think you should be a different you. Just be yourself. I miss the person you were before and I'm sure Woojin does too so don't worry because I love the way you actually are."

I blushed at the comment and keep quiet so I don't say anything stupid. Jinyoung rubbed the back of his neck shyly, "You know I mean it as a friend right? Don't look at it the wrong way." I laughed lightly, "Yeah, I know."

"I really do enjoy being your friend," he smiled as he pulled me in for a hug, "Trust me."