Chapter 29

Chapter 29

~ Chanel P.O.V ~

I’m feeling tired , exhausted  and bored sitting here at this till , waiting for a customer to just pay for something, anything just please I need to interact with someone other than this white counter.  I’d rather be stacking or hanging up clothes , atleast I’d be doing something rather than daydreaming .Working at H&M in Brixton has its pros and cons, I get discounts on clothes and good pay, but the job is sooooo boring. The thing that keeps me going throughout my day is thoughts of Amarni , like today he didn’t do much , but inside I’m grinning teeth. His presence alone fulfils my needs to be honest.

“  Heyyy Chan ! “ This red head girl shrieked as she walked towards my till, she looked about my age and was round about the same height. For some reason, she knew my name , but I didn’t have a clue on who she was. I recognised that she had the H&M uniform on, so I’m guessing she works here. Might aswell be friendly.

“ Heyy …. “

“ Layla.” She replied , finishing my sentence as she shook my hand smiling.

“ don’t mean to be rude but , how do you know my name?”  I asked out of curiosity.

“ You’re Amarni’s Girlfriend right?” she spoke in an obvious tone.

“ correct.”

“ Well , he’s my friend and he goes to my college , he’s always talking about you. Its everyday Chanel. He even showed me a picture of you and that’s how I recognised you, because you have distinctive features, despite knowing that you already worked here.” She blurted out. It’s kinda cute that Amarni talks about me, but it’s also weird, that random people know me. Hes lucky I like the vibe of this Layla girl, she’s so smiley and cute.

“ He chats too much .” I laughed and Layla joined in.

“ That’s actually true you know, he acts like hes quiet, but Hes Not ! “ I couldn’t help but laugh at her raising her voice. It was like she was passionate about what she had to say.

“ How comes I never see you at work ? are you new?” I asked her.

“ naah, we’ve just got different shifts because I work part time,because of my college timetable, but now that’s changed, I can do different shifts, so u’ll be seeing me more often.” She gave me an exaggerated wink and I scrunched up my face, but really I wanted to laugh. Since the shop is ghost town I continued my conversation with Layla. We talked about a lot of things, I even know that shes got a boyfriend called Tyler and she’s been out with my cousin Trevor before, but he cheated on her so she dumped him.

“ What country are you from cos’ you look white, but your skin is quite tanned?” I asked out of the blew just to keep the convo flowing.

“ My parents are from Wales , but I was born here, what about you?”

“ Honestly.. I don’t know.” I said after taking in a deep breath.

“ Huh? How comes?” she sobbed sympathetically.

“ Well I know that I was born here, but I don’t know about my parents, because I don’t remember them.” I hate speaking about this , let alone think about it.

“ awww , that’s upsetting, don’t worry stay strong, you’ve got Amarni by your side and he will ride till the end.” She reassured me which cheered me up a little bit.

“ Thanks Layla.” Finally a customer walked up to the till to pay for items. I scanned their items and placed them carefully in the bags and smiled as I gave it back, but the woman snatched it out of my hand without even saying thank you. IS SHE DUMB? I should of threw the bag in her eye, about shes snatching things. I waited all day for that? If that’s gonna happen I’d rather have no customers. I looked to the side to see Layla at the other till, laughing her head off at my piercing screw that I gave the woman who was walking away. I think I’ve made a new friend. I’ve never really had a female friend before , except for Biola – but I think she’s more of Amarni’s friend than mines. Don’t get me wrong, I love her to bits , but hopefully Layla is my first official friend. At my old school, before I moved school, I never had friends, I went to a white girls private school and no one wanted to be my friend because I was mixed race. I was closest to black than anyone in that school and they all hated me for it, but I had to go there every day because the grandma wouldn’t allow me to bunk. When she died, I got myself into Amarni’s school and did everything all by myself. Cos I’m a self-sufficient made bitch. LOL , I’m joking , well I am self – sufficient , so that was like half a joke.