Chapter 4 The Alpha's Mark

[Vander Tyler Laurent]

"She's something. That girl is something."

I saw a smile on Maurice’ lips. Draco nodded and I saw them watch her walked out of the cafeteria.

"She's not normal."

Nilingon namin si Laura. She's very serious now. There's no trace of excitement and joy awhile back.

"I told you. The first time I saw her wala akong nakita. Even now."

"How come?"

I keep listening, I'm in not in the mood to talk.

"She's just a human, Laura." Inayos pa ni Vince ang salamin matapos sabihin iyon.

"I don't know, Vince. I told you I can't see anything, her past or her future. Nothing. It was blank. I even tried a physical contact by hugging her. Mas magiging malinaw sana ang makikita ko but... I saw darkness. Nothing at all."

I can't help but frowned. How is it possible? It’s Laura's rare ability, she can foresee the future, and even past are no secret to her. It works in both human or other creatures beyond human nature.

"I can't smell her blood."

Natigilan ako. Nilingon ko si Draco, I thought I was alone. Akala ko epekto lang ‘yun ng gamot, lessening the pain and my senses. Kaninang magkatabi kami sa klase, wala akong kahit ano man’g naaamoy. Well, aside from her cinnamon and vanilla scent. What's with that woman? She's been creeping me out these past few days. Whenever I see her, I'm becoming irritable and mad.

"Yes, akala ko ako lang. I really can't smell her blood though I can hear her unstable heartbeat. On our first meeting, I tried smelling her blood but there's no scent. Her blood flow and heartbeat  are the only things I can hear."

How come? Surely she's a human. Not a werewolf or a vampire. Alam namin agad kung kauri o kalaban ang nasa harap namin. Kahit nga ilang daan’g kilometro ang layo, naaamoy pa rin namin ang isang dayo na may dalang panganib. But that woman, Cassandra, that's her name, she's a human. Kaya madali siyang nakatapak ng Mistletoe. She's not an enemy, just an outsider. But there's something about her. I notice her reactions every time our eyes met, her blood flows faster and her heartbeat’s unstable. I can't sense fear not even attraction. So what the fuck is with her? Is she heartless or something?

"Someone’s in deep thinking, eh?"

"What do you think of her?" ani Laura

"She's just an annoying and arrogant bitch roaming around Mistletoe, not a threat not even worth of my time and attention," I replied.

I decided to get out of there. I think the medicine is losing its effect. I'm becoming irritable even more. Ano mang oras ay makakaramdam na naman ako ng sobrang galit na gugustuhin kong pumatay.

I run, so fast that the whole world around me became distorted in eyes. Parang naka-fast forward ang lahat ng nadaraaan ko. Papunta akong gubat. I need to stay away and calm myself.

"Ahh!"

Natigilan ako. I heard a woman's voice. Nilingon ko ang paligid, I am at the old park. Nakita ko ang isang babae na nakaupo sa buhangin sa harap ng isang sira na swing. Mayroong bata na nakaupo rin sa tapat niya .

"I told you to be careful, Naih."

Hinihipan ng babae ang binti ng bata, shit. Blood. As instance, narinig ko ang mabilis na pintig ng puso ko, it’s so hard that I feel pain in my chest. I can hear everything.

"Mom, its painful."

Everything volumes up. Napakalakas ng pandinig ko. The child's heartbeat, her blood flow, the trickle of blood in her knee, her mother's blow in her wound… my hearing become vividly clear and strong. Shit, run! I should run now and stay away. But I can't move! They are humans, and you shouldn't touch them moron!

 Rust iron.

 Nag-iinit ang katawan ko, I can smell the blood. It will taste sweet dahil ang dugo ay mula sa isang bata, No! Shit! What am I thinking?!

"They are not enemy, Van. Not always."

Agatha

I closed my eyes and heaved a deep breath. I found myself running into the deepest part of the forest. Kapiraso na lang ang kontrol ko sa sarili. I saw my arms filled with furs, my nails became sharp and long. I found myself howling in the most powerful voice.

"Hear me! Remember this voice and never forget, because I am the Alpha."

That’s the message I wanted to convey. I heard replies from far distances before I lost my human instinct.

Gabi na nang makauwi ako sa Laurent mansion.

Nasa malawak na dining table ang buong angkan. Nasa hapag din ang mga pagkain na tila may isang malaking piging na nagaganap. Well, this is the usual scene here.

"How are you?" It’s my cousin, Lucius. Bakas ang pag-aalala sa mukha ng mga nasa hapag kainan.

Well, I created that powerful howl, so I know they heard me. Kaya tumango na lang ako at pumunta sa pinaka dulo ng mesa. The alpha's position is noticeably here.

Natahimik ang lahat at hinintay ang aking hudyat.

"Let's dine,” mahinang wika ko at masayang nag-umpisang kumain ang lahat.

"How's the medication, Vander?" It’s my Uncle Alastor.

"Good. But it didn't work for long. The blood is still greater and powerful. It resists any alien substance flowing within me. I’m considering to stop taking it."

Narinig ko ang pagkalansing ng kutsara.

"You can't do that, Van!"

"I agree with Laura. Maraming bagong salta na taga-labas ngayon. You can't take risk of losing control!" Tila sang-ayon din ang lahat kay Maurice.

"Well then trust the alpha." I looked at Uncle Alastor when he said that.

"Daddy!" suway ni Laura na hindi sang-ayon .

Well, they don't have any choice if I said I won't take any medicine anymore.

"I already made up my mind," I said. Hinawakan naman ako ni Laura sa braso dahil siya ang nasa kaliwa ko.

"Please, Vanie. Don't!" Nakita ko ang malambot na ekspresyon at pag-aalala sa mukha in Laura. "You're at the worst stage. Katatapos lang ng lotus moon, the sign that you will start to become more aggressive and... dangerous as you finally became the alpha. At alam mo na totoo yun after that incident. You can't just..."I held her hand.

"I am the alpha. If I can't control myself and try hiding by doing fucking medications, taking drugs and herbals, Lau, I'll be ashamed to claim myself as the new alpha, okay? So stop trying to stop me! All of you! Never! Try! To stop my decisions." Padabog akong tumayo at nagdesisyong umakyat na lamang ng kwarto.

Fuck. I am the alpha yet I feel so stupid and low, parang napakahinang nilalang na ang tingin ng lahat sa ‘kin! Like hell, I won't give the others who badly wanted the position the pleasure of knowing my weakness! Fuck them!