six // and suddenly, we're strangers

Terrible love - The National

"Niklaus." Elijah calls as his brother continues to stomp his feet on the ground, walking to  nowhere in particular.

"It's a trick, Elijah." Klaus states, his denial eating away at him.

"No, brother, it's a gift." Elijah chimes, Klaus' feet coming  a to a holt. "It's your chance. It's our chance-"

"To what?"

"To start over." He steps forward, wanting nothing more then for his brother to listen to him. "To take back everything we've lost, that was taken from us. Niklaus, our own parents came to despise us. Our family was ruined, we were ruined. Since then, all that you have ever wanted, all that we have ever wanted was a family."

Elijah had always dreamt of them being a real family, to stand together united. The moment he found out about Faith's child, he knew he would do anything in his power to protect her. Nothing would hurt the child. Nothing would take this chance away from them. He would love the child like they were his own.

"I will not be manipulated." Klaus growls, his body turning to his brother.

"So they're manipulating you. So what? You think that gives you the right to treat Faith like you did? Like every moment you sent with her, meant nothing to you?"

"She left me Elijah!" Klaus pointed out his arm, as if pointing at Faith. He was fuming. "She's been alive this entire time and she didn't think for one second that she should come back to me."

"You're not the only one we lied to Niklaus." Elijah replies, his voice soft. Klaus' hard look fell, as his brother stepped forward.

"Rebekah and I knew Faith would never find a life of her own if she knew you were alive. We never told her you came back."

Klaus is silent. He knew that if he opened his mouth, he'd say something he'd regret.

"Come back to you Niklaus?" Elijah asks confused, bringing up Klaus' last statement. "You just told the witches to kill her. What would she have come back to?"

"She knows I would never let them hurt her." Klaus says strongly, not liking the way he was being spoken to.

"Does she? The way I see it, you're here, and she's with them."

Klaus shakes his head, refusing to hear anything more his brother had to say.

"With them, Faith and her child, your child, live."

Klaus ignores him, turning his back on Elijah.

"I'm gonna kill every last one of them." His first instinct has always been to turn to violence. To kill his demons, to kill those who threaten him and his family. Although now, the list is extending. Even if he won't admit it.

"Then what? Return to Mystic Falls to resume your life as the hated one, the evil hybrid? Is it so important people quake with fear at the sound of your name?"

"People quake with fear because I have the power to make them afraid. What will this child offer? Will it guarantee me power?"

Elijah was thankful Faith wasn't there to hear this. It would crush her if she knew what he was saying. The way he talked about the child like an object, without a benefit. 

"Family is power, Niklaus." He couldn't make it clearer. "Love, loyalty, that's power.This is what we swore before life tore away what humanity you had. Before anger, before paranoia created this person before me, someone I can barely even recognize as my own brother."