ten // next to me

Jordan Rodriguez - Next To Me

This chapter is dedicated to Multimalesforlife, who has some really interesting views on this book and I really appreciate all the nice things they had to say about it.

THIS IS A FAITH AND KLAUS CHAPTER. IT'S ABOUT TIME.

KLAITH IS BACK.

p.s. probably shitty editing, I'll get back to it don't worry!

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I remember telling Rebekah about the tether.

The tether I felt between Niklaus and I when we were completely and eternally in love.

The tether I felt had broken when Niklaus was desicated and killed.

When I found out Niklaus was alive, I thought the tether would magically tie itself back.

It didn't, or at least I didn't think it had.

But then when I woke up this morning, it kind of hit me like when I found out I was pregnant.

It was fast and powerful.

I felt him in the room with me before I even had the chance to process how I felt. As soon as my mind woke up and eyes fluttered open, I saw him, and knew the tether was back.

I cuddled further into my blanket, smiling to myself as he looked around the bottom of my bed. He found the thing he was looking for and picked it up, opening it to see if any of it was gone.

"I didn't use it" I mumble, knowing exactly what he was thinking.

He was holding the poison, wondering if I'd done the thing we fought about the night before.

I couldn't. I wouldn't.

"You're awake" he acknowledges softly, closing the bottle.

I watch him closely, seeing the wall he always seems to put up when he's vulnerable. That frustrated look, that gives off he's trying to fight off any real feelings.

I had grown to like it, because it meant I knew exactly what he wanted to feel.

He crossed the room, finding his way to the window, where he looked out intently.

"What stopped you?" I was shocked by his question. "You could have been free of all of this, of me."

It hurt me to hear, because I knew that was what I wanted yesterday.

Yesterday all I could think was that I couldn't bring a baby into this world knowing it would never be safe.

Yesterday I wanted nothing more than to be rid of this man. The man who was the reason my baby was in danger.

Somehow, yesterday felt like a thousand years ago.

I smile softly, scooting over to the other side of my bed. I pat the side closest to him, silently asking him to sit with me.

He's hesitant, but eventually makes his way over and sits on the space I once occupied. He lifted his legs onto the bed, leaning against the headboard, while I continue to lie down comfortably.

"Maybe because I still love you."

I spoke gently, wondering how he would react to the words coming from my mouth. It was strange. I'd told him I loved him countless times, but this time it felt different. We hadn't been connected since I woke up and now that we're having a baby and not at the break of death, it was nice. It was nice to just be here, together.