°seven°

Sweat dripping down his forehead, Jungkook raised an arm to wipe the moisture off with his sleeve before the group broke formation, taking a quick break for water.

Despite having his back turned, Jungkook could practically sense Jimin looking around like a lost puppy, like he was looking for something - and Jungkook knew exactly what he was looking for.

"Hey, where's Y/N today?"

There it was.

"I think she decided to stay at the house," Taehyung answered. "Something about making phone calls from what she said to me last night."

"She talks to you? Lucky!" Jimin whined. "I wish Y/N would talk to me aswell."

"I think there are so many of us she doesn't know which one to talk to," Seokjin suggested with a laugh. "You're always sleeping so there's no way she'd ever talk to you."

Jimin pouted and Jungkook clenched his water bottle tighter when he heard Hoseok sigh.

"I feel sorry for her," he said, and the others nodded in agreement. "She's working really hard and when I went to go wake her up this morning, she was face down at her desk."

"Can you all just stop talking about her, please?" Jungkook snapped, finally turning around to be met with the disapproving eyes of his hyungs. "She's not here so why do you keep going on about her?"

"What's your problem, eh?" Namjoon asked, his voice more louder than usual when he spoke to the maknae. "What's she done to get you so worked up?"

"I just don't like her!" Jungkook yelled in response, shocking the others. "She comes into our house acting all high and mighty like she half owns the place!"

"Well, it's that high and mighty persona that might end up saving your ass!" Seokjin stepped in. "You complain that she's not doing the right thing, but how is she supposed to do the right thing if you say everything she does is wrong?"

Jungkook didn't reply, and Seokjin took that as his cue to continue.

"She's working hard just for you and if you can't appreciate that, then you need to grow up," he concluded just as Sejin opened the door.

"Jungkook," he said firmly, and all heads in the practice room turned. "Come with me."

As if in perfect harmony, the other six members watched as Jungkook took the walk of shame to the door.

"You six continue with practicing while we have a little talk," Sejin smiled reassuringly and Seok nodded as he closed the door. "Jungkook, look at me."

The maknae did as he was told and stared directly into his manager's eyes, his gaze cold and fierce.

"Calm down," Sejin said softly, noticing the boy's anger. "I'm not here to yell at you. I'm just here to have a civilised conversation like adults."

Jungkook nodded and exhaled calmly, letting Sejin lecture him.

"Now I understand that have a certain distaste towards Detective L/N, is that right?" He asked and Jungkook nodded. "And why is that?"

"I just don't like how she sucks up to the others," Jungkook replied, referring to the other members. "She makes an effort with them but not with me."

"Have you ever considered the fact that that may be because you're not putting in the effort with her?" Sejin asked, and Jungkook looked down at his feet. "You may not know or even care, but she's coming here thinking she's doing things wrong because you don't give her the benefit of the doubt."

Jungkook continued to stare down at his feet, not wanting to give his manager the benefit of the doubt right now.

"I don't want to lecture you about respect, but small gestures go a long way," Sejin reminded him. "The detective is her own person with her own problems too, but despite that, she's still coming here and trying to help you with yours. A little gratitude goes a long way, you know?"

Sejin patted Jungkook on the shoulder a couple times before opening the door for him.

Jungkook had taken in everything his manager had said, and he had a strong feeling that coming to terms with his own was going to be a task.

~*~

word count: 669

i'm sorry for making jungkook like this.