°nineteen°

Getting excused from a case was never a good thing, but Y/N was relieved.

She felt like she'd been liberated by the lord himself, not having the weight and responsibility of Jungkook on her shoulders.

But Y/N did have to admit, she felt bad for just leaving like that without at least giving the others a proper explanation - especially Taehyung and Seokjin, they'd been extra nice to Y/N while she stayed with them.

When she'd actually gone to work that day, Y/N marched straight up to her superior's desk and turned in her case file, stating that she was officially resigning from the Jungkook case, and when her superior asked why, Y/N was dumb enough to say 'personal reasons'.

And now here she was, boredly browsing through the list of cases her superior had emailed all the detectives, trying to find another case that suited her.

The whole thing with the Jungkook case was that Y/N didn't actually decide to take on that case - like the detectives in her precinct were supposed to do - she was assigned to that case by none other than her superior, who clearly thought she could manage it.

Y/N would never forget the look of disappointment on his face when she turned in her case files.

All this thinking about Jungkook was starting to frustrate Y/N, and she suddenly remembered his phone was still locked in the safe.

Now, as much as she never really wanted to see Jungkook again, Y/N couldn't not give his phone back - poor boy was probably going crazy without it.

Standing up from her desk, Y/N headed over to the safe and input the password, stopping by her superior's office before she left.

"Sir, I'm just going out to return Jungkook's phone from the safe," she stated, carrying herself out of the precinct with the grunt of approval given to her by her superior.

She was about to leave when the phone suddenly dinged in her hand, and Y/N was so shocked she nearly dropped the thing.

Glancing at the screen, Y/N's eyes scanned across a message that she wouldn't be able to just forget without doing anything about it.

Unsaved number
Jungkook. We need you to meet us at Avenue Park tonight at 10. In front of those metal containers. Can you do that for us?

Y/N couldn't believe her eyes, or her luck.

Technically, she shouldn't even be doing this, but how could she ever pass up on a golden opportunity like this?

Granted, she could've always tried to act as the hero, but quite frankly, she wanted nothing to do with Jungkook and she was fairly sure that he didn't want anything to do with her either.

Turning round on her heel, Y/N trekked up the never ending stairs back to her precinct and lightly knocked on the door to her superior's office.

"Come in," he grumbled from inside and Y/N did just that.

Closing the door behind her, she cleared her throat, which definitely granted her with Leehyun's attention, which sort of scared her in a way.

"Uh, sir, I think I may have found a way to solve this Jungkook case once and for all," she stated, and Leehyun raised an eyebrow at her.

"I thought you gave up on that case," he more or less mocked her, and Y/N resisted shooting a glare at him.

"I did, sir, but look at this," she took a step forward and handed him the phone, which Y/N said was Jungkook's. "I think we've found our guys."

"Excellent work, L/N," Leehyun beamed, suddenly standing up from his place behind his desk, and Y/N managed to smile back at him.

'Even though I didn't actually do anything,' Y/N added on in her mind but kept her mouth shut nonetheless. It wasn't everyday that she got praised by her boss.

"I should probably go warn Sejin about this and tell him to keep the boys away from Avenue Park tonight," she proposed and Leehyun nodded.

"Good idea, you do that," he agreed and Y/N smiled at nothing in particular as she sped out of the office and down those stairs faster than she ever had in her life.

~*~

"Detective!" Sejin exclaimed when Y/N stumbled through the revolving doors of BigHit, and Y/N pressed a finger to her lips in an effort to silence the manager. "What are you doing back here?"

"I just came bearing some information you might find useful," she replied, smiling brightly. "We think we've found out who these people grooming Jungkook are and we're apprehending them tonight at Avenue Park at 10, so I need you to keep the boys away from there at all costs."

Sejin was smiling so brightly that it made Y/N smile brighter, if that was even possible.

"Oh, I can't thank you enough!" He beamed, even resorting to pulling Y/N into a tight hug. "Honestly - especially with the way Jungkook's been acting lately, it's such an honour to have you complete this case until the very end."

Y/N shook her head dismissively. "It was no problem at all." Lies. "But I would appreciate it if you didn't tell the boys I dropped by to tell you this."

"My lips are sealed," Sejin concluded and Y/N left BigHit smiling brighter than she had ever smiled in a long time.

~*~

word count: 871

thank you for 1k reads! <3