°twenty-one°

"What do you mean you got fired?" Jimin shrieked, his face among the other six members pulling back into a look of disbelief.

"I mean, I got fired," Y/N repeated calmly, and Jimin shrieked again.

"Wait, why did you get fired?" Namjoon asked, placing a hand on Jimin's shoulder just so the younger would shut up.

"Prolonged possession of evidence," Y/N answered, tilting her head towards the phone in Jungkook's hand. "I used his phone for means I shouldn't have which is against the rules, so I got fired."

"That doesn't seem very fair," Taehyung scowled, folding his arms over his chest. "You did solve the case after all."

"A case that wasn't actually mine since I handed over my case files early," Y/N replied, and the others wondered how she could be so calm when she was curled up in a hospital bed, now unemployed.

"That sucks," Hoseok thought aloud, turning his nose up in disgust, and the others nodded in agreement.

"So, what do you plan to do now?" Seokjin asked, trying to change the subject from the one that had just occurred.

"I don't know, I haven't really thought that far ahead," Y/N answered, sitting up in the hospital bed and pointing to her laptop case on the table near the door. "Could you pass me my laptop please?"

Yoongi, the closest to the table, grabbed the laptop bag and passed it along to Y/N, where she let out an unfocused 'thanks' as she opened it up.

"I'm going to have to look up jobs somewhere close to home first and then wait until I recover to begin working again," she continued, typing away on her laptop.

The room was silent for a moment until Taehyung nudged Jungkook rather hardly, tilting his head towards Y/N like he wanted him to say something to her.

Jungkook cleared his throat and everyone except from Y/N looked up at him. He figured she was still angry with him but the most he could do was be nice since she did literally take a bullet for him.

"I heard," he started, and Y/N eventually did look up at him. "From Sejin that one of our bodyguards quit around the time I was almost killed because he felt like he was under threat. If we speak to Sejin, then maybe we can get you that job and you can continue working close to home."

"Only if you want to," Namjoon added on at the end. "Don't feel obliged to do so just because Kookie feels guilty for what he did."

Jungkook's whole face turned red at that and he turned to glare at Namjoon.

"Are you guys sure you still want me around?" Y/N asked. "I don't want to impose anymore than I already have."

"Are you kidding?" Yoongi asked. "We've been through a lot with you and one thing we know for sure is that you're a great detective and a great person. Honestly, we'd be honoured if you'd consider working with us again."

"Hyung is desperate," Jimin teased, causing the others to laugh - including Y/N.

"I mean, only if Sejin says it's ok," she agreed, and smiles spread themselves across the seven happy boys' faces, even Jungkook's.

~*~

A few hours later, after Y/N had texted her parents to let them know she was ok and working on getting another job, she heard the door slide open on her left.

Looking up from her phone, Y/N managed to smile a little when she saw Jungkook standing in the doorway looking extremely uncomfortable.

"Don't make yourself a stranger, come in," she laughed softly, and Jungkook scurried inside, closing the door behind him before he sat down in the chair next to Y/N's bed, looking off into the distance awkwardly. "Is there something you wanted to talk about or...?"

"I wanted to apologise again," Jungkook answered, and Y/N watched him. "I know you probably won't believe this but I didn't want you to get involved any further because I knew just how ruthless these guys were. They carried guns with them everywhere and when Sejin warned us about Avenue Park that day, I knew you were going to be there.

"The truth is...I've grown to be really fond of you and everything you do, to the point where I would feel obliged to keep tabs on you just to make sure they hadn't found you yet."

Y/N smiled slightly, not saying anything yet just in case Jungkook wanted to continue.

"The amount of effort you'd put in to helping me even though I didn't deserve any of it made me feel like I owed you something, and I wanted to help you out too, but I ended up just messing it up even further and I'm sorry," he finished, and Y/N reached over to pat his head.

"Silly boy," she said more to herself than to Jungkook, but it caused him to look up nonetheless.

Their faces weren't even that far apart and if Jungkook wanted - really wanted - to, he could've just leant over and pecked her quickly. Just like that.

But Jungkook didn't have to.

Mainly because Y/N did it for him.

~*~

word count: 832

epilogue after this and then 'process of elimination' is finished!