°fourteen°

Several knocks on the door later and Jungkook was peering over his shoulder as the door opened, and Y/N popped her head in, smiling at him sweetly.

Jungkook smiled back awkwardly, pulling his t-shirt over his head and smoothing out the creases as he turned around, looking down at his feet.

He still didn't think he'd earned the privilege to look at Y/N's face yet, so watching the creases in his shirt disperse to the bottom of his shirt and soon disappear seemed like the best thing to do.

"Do you have a minute to talk?" She asked softly, closing the door quietly behind her and standing still for a few seconds.

Although she would probably never admit it, Y/N did feel just as awkward as Jungkook - maybe even a little more than he did.

Jungkook didn't say anything, just nodded, as he sat down on the edge of his newly-made bed and patted the space next to him, silently telling Y/N to sit down too.

She did as she was gestured too, perching herself stiffly next to Jungkook as the two looked down at their hands, neither of them knowing quite how to start this conversation.

"Jungkook," Y/N started, and Jungkook felt a bead of sweat roll down his forehead. This would be bad if he was already sweating before he'd even began practicing. "I need to discuss with you what happens next."

Jungkook braced himself for the worst, clenching his fists in his lap so hard, his knuckles turned white. Y/N noticed and placed her hand over one of his, causing Jungkook to look up at her in alarm.

She wore a small, reassuring smile that told him it was going to be ok, and for a moment Jungkook actually believed it would.

"Don't be worried," she insisted. "The worst is over, and you did a good job telling us, even if it wasn't in the most...convenient way."

"I'm sorry," Jungkook whispered, sounding close to tears already. 

"Stop apologising," Y/N shook her head, squeezing his hand tighter. "None of this is your fault and you need to realise that. You're still young and everybody makes mistakes--"

"I'm not talking about that!" Jungkook interrupted, his voice cracking as tears slid down his cheeks. "I'm talking about you - I could've saved you all of this stress if I'd just let you do your job, if I'd helped you out a little bit! But all I've done is treat you as if you don't exist. And now they're after you too!

"They said if I tell you or anybody about this, they'll kill me and I didn't want to put the others through that. So, I'm sorry...I'm sorry!"

At this point, Jungkook was in tears again, and Y/N didn't know whether to hug him or just let him be.

She did neither and simply rubbed his back up and down, doing her best to calm him down without actually doing anything.

"You were just scared," Y/N tried to propose. "You didn't want others to suffer because of your mistakes, so you pushed them away - that makes sense.

"But you don't have to do that anymore, because now...now you've got everyone fighting for you. Your family, your fans: they won't give up until this case is solved and neither will I."

Jungkook's sobs reduced to sniffles in a matter of minutes, and Y/N pulled her hand away from his back, returning it back to her lap stiffly and taking a deep breath.

"Right now, we need to be cautious of every possibility, which means I'll need your phone so I can trace these messages back to their source. You said you gave them your number?" She asked and Jungkook nodded with a sniffle. "And they've been texting you?" Another nod. "Ok, so I'll need your phone."

Jungkook got up from the bed and walked over to the desk, picking his phone up and tossing it to Y/N, who barely managed to catch it.

"I won't go through your personal information or anything else you don't want me to see," she thought it necessary to say before anything else. "You can trust me, I promise. All I'll do is take this down to the station and trace some numbers."

Jungkook nodded again and Y/N continued.

"For now, stay close to the others and if you have any worries or concerns, for the love of God, tell them. Or tell me; we're all here for you," she emphasised and Jungkook - unsurprisingly - nodded. "You concentrate on living while I concentrate on cracking this case."

And with that, Y/N stood up, Jungkook following suit immediately.

"Y/N, wait," Jungkook said urgently, and Y/N turned around. "C-can I call you Y/N?"

Y/N smiled and nodded, and Jungkook gulped.

"I just wanted to say thank you for, you know, not giving up on me and all," he mumbled with a blush and Y/N laughed lightly.

"Don't thank me yet," she replied, turning the door handle and opening the door. "I haven't saved your life yet."

~*~

word count: 812

slowly beginning to like this book now.