11 |:| How it Began

a/n: the following chapters will be a flashback era.

[ONE YEAR AGO]

As this was the last year for the junior high third-years, a replacement of a manager was needed.

It was a tough time for Momoi to look for a substitute since everyone was occupied in their own clubs, but strangely, Rindou didn't attend any clubs and had too much free time on her hands.

Rindou would rather spend her free time doing absolutely nothing, which is the only thing she's good at; but due to her passive trait, Rindou couldn't bring herself to reject Momoi's request.

A week later, standing expressionless besides the court, Rindou watched the second-string practice with each other.

Her sharp and slightly squinted eye-shape, paired with her straight and diagonal eyebrows gives off a constant unintentional irritated glare; along with her noticeable frown, completing her permanent scowl.

Regretting her existence, she heavily sighed at her current situation. She knew little to nothing about basketball, and at this state, she might just be a useless addition. Management is important for a strong team like Teiko, so she can't act like a dead cell within the system.

Rindou closed her eyes shut and she scratched the back of her head as she let out an irritated groan.

"Rindou-chan!" Momoi called as she ran over to her.

"Senpai, where were you?" She asked.

"I was scouting our rival team. Look!" Momoi showed Rindou her notes; filled with charts and diagrams of many players.

"That is a lot of information. . ." She replied as she examined the pages. "She's surely giving it her all. I wouldn't even write this much for school, let alone a sports team"

"Isn't it? This data helps the players know beforehand about our opponent's playing style and habits"

She stared silently at the notes while nodding.

"This is personally how I contribute to the team. You aren't required to do all this spying if you also have your own way of doing things" Momoi smiled.

"My knowledge of sports and athletes are lacking. So I can't figure out my own personal contribution any time soon" Rindou replied indifferently.

"That's okay. I'll just tell you the important things. From then on, you'll start to find your own style" Momoi explained in a reassuring manner.

"That's really easy for her to say. She seems like she had a connection with basketball for a while, or before she even realized it. Judging by her passion. . ."

"Is that okay with you?" Momoi asked from out of the blue as Rindou was deep in her thoughts.

"Oh--yes, I look forward to working with you" Rindou stated politely to the senior.