1

"Fuck's sake Elena, this isn't about you. For once, it's for me. Our parents died less than two weeks ago. By staying in this godforsaken town, I might as well be signing my death sentence. It's alright with you. This town holds more good memories than bad, but not me. I lost way more than just our parents in this town, so I'm going to London. I'm going to try and fit in there and leave this town because if I lose one more person here I will lose it." I explained.
"What about Jeremy, Maria? He's still a kid who's just lost his parents. You're going to take his big sister away from him too?"
"I spoke to Jeremy already. He wants me to do this, because he understands. Music has always been my way of blocking out the bad, and he knows that it will probably help. He doesn't want his big sister to be able to live in a town where everyone she's ever loved has died. I won't risk that happening to the only people I have left."
"By leaving you're losing us anyway."
"What is this actually about, Elena? Cut the crap, you've always hated me so don't act like you give two shits about me leaving."
"You're my sister, of course I care." Elena whined. I sighed, running my hand through my hair.
"Yeah that act might have worked on mama and papa Gilbert but I'm not falling for it. You forget I'm immune to your doe eyes. Besides, you're the one always reminding me we're not actually related. After all, I was adopted."
"Whatever. Maybe leaving would be best." She snapped.
"Don't worry Elena, I'll be back to visit Jeremy."

Three years later, Maria walked back into the Mystic grill. Nothing seemed to have changed. She saw Elena and a bunch of other people standing at one of the pool tables. Jeremy sat at the bar talking to someone. She walked over to her little brother. "Jeremy."
"Mia?" He asked. It was something he called her when they first met, when he was five.
"One and only little brother." He hugged her tightly, not wanting to let go of his older sister.
"Hey stranger." He mumbled into her ear.
"How has your life been? I swung by the house, but no one was home."
"Yeah, Elena's over there, with some friends and stuff." Remembering he wasn't alone, Jeremy reluctantly let go. "Um, you remember Matt, right?"
"Of course I do. Elena's ex, right?"
"Yeah. Just friends now though."
"Sorry, I totally made things weird right now, didn't I?"
"You always did have a habit of doing so." Jeremy teased.
"Well, I should probably say hi to Elena." Maria said, dread shown clearly on her face.
"Don't look too excited!" Matt joked. She gave a small smile. She turned to the back of the grill and walked over to Elena and her friends.
"Aren't you going to introduce me to your new friends?" Maria asked Elena gesturing to the two men she didn't know. Elena looked up to see her older 'sister'. "Hello Caroline, hello Bonnie."
"M-maria?" Elena asked shocked. "What are you doing here?"
"I did tell you, I'd be back."
"That was three years ago." She deadpanned.
"I needed time."
"We needed you."
"All you had to do was pick up the phone." Elena's group stared at the exchange.
"Why didn't you?"
"Because I was just starting to recover, but if you really needed me, I would've raced over in a heartbeat."
"Would you have really?"
"Contrary to what you believe, Elena, I actually care."
"Which is why you ran out three years ago."
"You know why I left, Elena. Don't pretend you understand. Until you've lost your birth parents, your adoptive parents, your twin brother and your baby sister, and the guy you love, and an uncle all in one town over the course of a few years, you tend to need a breather. I know I did. Besides, you have Jenna, it's not like you were completely alone."
"Don't lie. You left for you."
"Yes, Elena. I did. For the sake of my sanity, and I'm not much help to Jeremy if he sees his big sister depressed and insane. So yes, I left for me mainly. I've never denied that." Maria said, getting angry.
"Big sister?" The guy with the black hair and piercing blue eyes asked. "Damn we have another Gilbert in town? How many more are there?"
"I'm adopted. My name's Maria Lorde. Who are you?" Maria narrowed her eyes.
"I kinda got that." He replied, smirking. Maria rolled her eyes. "I'm Damon Salvatore. This is Alaric Saltzman."
"I'm dating Damon's brother. Well sort of right now. And Alaric's a long story. We need to talk."
"About what?"
"Aunt Jenna."Elena had a grave look on her face. A look Maria knew all too well by now.
"No."
"I'm sorry."
"No, Elena. I refuse to believe it. Aunt Jenna is not dead."
"I'm sorry." Elena repeated.
"When?"
"Before the summer."
"Were you going to tell me?"
"You were the one who said you couldn't handle one more death in this town."
"No, Elena. You can't not tell me our Aunt died a few weeks ago. Were you even going to tell me?"
"No." Elena admitted. Maria turned around and stormed out. She knew if she stayed she'd lose control. Her magic was too powerful to be controlled when she was mad. She stormed to the woods nearby to let out her magic. As soon as she entered the forest the trees seemed to be more alive, taking in the magic she seemed to leak. She wandered aimlessly before ending up at a house. It was more of a ruin, with rotten woods and the like. Sensing magic in there she walked right in.
"Hello?" She called as she walked in. "Who's here?"
"Maria Lorde." A voice whispered not that anyone was there.
"Who are you?"
"Spirits of witches massacred here."
"Lovely. Creepy. Why are you talking to me?"
"You're one of us."
"I'm not dead."
"Are you sure it's her?" Maria heard another voice say, mockingly.
"Quiet." The first voice ordered. "Child, I meant a witch."
"I know that. I met some nice witches in London, too. Plus I lived as a witch for the first few years of my life. God, I can remember the time my parents first gave me the talk. I thought my mom was crazy, talking about magic."
"We can gossip later about your life. Right now, we have something to say. Something terrible is on it's way. Something dangerous. It's only a matter of time before Klaus comes, and you need to be ready."
"Who's Klaus?"
"The man who murdered your aunt."
"I will kill him."
"That's not your destiny."
"Then what is?"
"Protect your sister."
"Who Elena? I might not be properly motivated enough right now."
"No, Maria. Though you would protect Elena with your life if it came to it, we're not talking about her. We're talking about Hanna."
"Hanna's dead."
"Find your way to Little Orphanage. You will find her there. She survived, but no one realised who she was. Now more than ever, she will need you." The voice told her.
"Why now? Why not show yourself to me before, when I needed my little sister more than ever."
"It wasn't time."
"I love witches, but I hate your vagueness. Sometimes a straightforward answer is the way. What's going to happen to her?"
"Our vagueness. Remember, you're a witch too."