45

The next week had gone by without much incident. Lindsay had gone out for a few hours per day to be with her boyfriend. She'd never asked me to invite him in, thankfully, because that would've been an extremely awkward conversation. Klaus still hadn't managed to find Cyrus, and he seemed to be a little furious at his sister for allowing him to escape. I didn't blame her. Maybe I should've- Rebekah was an original and Cyrus was practically a newborn compared to her. But I didn't, because I knew what it was like to underestimate him, firsthand. Elena and her gang had been quiet and I had no idea what to think of it. I spent every minute with my daughter, afraid I'd take my eyes off her for a second and lose her. Another week had passed, and another, until I got the news that Alaric had died. Jeremy had been devastated- he'd been close to Alaric. Alaric had assumed a fatherly role in his life, and for that I was grateful. It was that night that Elena had come again.
"I know who he is." She said.
"Who?" I asked as Elena brushed past me and walked into her house. I looked around before closing the door and walking in after her. "Shouldn't you be in mourning?"
"Don't." Her face dropped. "I'm talking  about Cyrus. I know who he is, and I get that you hate him, but-"
"Elena, what exactly is it you think you know?"
"He's Sara's father." She stated. I grabbed her and dragged upstairs to my room. I got out the last of my sage before beginning my privacy spell.
"Who told you?" I asked her, once I was done, my voice dangerously low.
"He did." She shrugged indifferently.
"You saw him? What did he say?"
"Actually, he wanted to know how you were. It was kind of sweet." I gaped at her. Surely she didn't know the full story.
"What were you told Elena?"
"He said you guys were friends back in high school, and you both got drunk and you ended up pregnant. He said you never told him."
"When was this?" I gritted my teeth.
"This morning. He said he didn't want to hurt you, not like you think. I believe him, Maria."
"Elena, please don't tell me you did anything stupid."
"I promised him five minutes with his daughter?" She said, though it ended up a question.
"He's not her father. Her father's name was Leo. He's dead. Courtesy of Cyrus. There's no way he's seeing my daughter."
"He said you'd say that. And that when he killed Leo and Faith, his humanity was off."
"He doesn't have any humanity, Elena. He was a psychopath as a human. I'm not exaggerating."
"Give him a chance. He's got to be better than Klaus."
"He's not. There's a reason I had to go therapy in England. A reason why Jenna had been staying with us before our parents' deaths. Elena, he's the worst person I have ever met. Way worse than Klaus."
"He should get to see his daughter. You shouldn't keep him away."
"Elena, she's not his daughter. Honestly, I didn't even know Cyrus's name until Klaus told me. I met him once in my life."
"Then why are you so defensive?"
"I'm not telling you Elena. I don't trust you. You just promised him five minutes with my daughter. I haven't even told half the people I trust the full story. Stay away from him, Elena. He's the worst kind of man there is."
"You can see good in almost everyone. In Klaus, but you can't do the same for the guy you once slept with? He can't be that bad."
"Yes he can. Leave it, Elena. Please, just leave it. And stay away from him."
"Not unless you tell me the full story." I rolled my eyes at her.
"Go home, Elena. You're not getting any more out of me." I shook my head and got out of my room heading downstairs. The door was wide open, and Cyrus was standing at the door. I knew it was him, this time. I could just tell. "What are you doing here?"
"I want to see my daughter."
"You don't have a daughter." I looked at him, disgusted.
"Oh, but don't you remember our magical night together?" He grinned at me as I flinched.
"Leave me alone, Cyrus. And leave my family and friends alone."
"I want to see my daughter, and I get what I want, sweet Maria. Or don't you remember."
"I'm not the same girl anymore." I said to him. "You can ask my sister, I am against killing anyone, but I will happily get rid of you if you try to come for me."
"You wouldn't really kill him." Elena stated. "You wouldn't kill Klaus, and you said you'd kill Damon but you didn't."
"You're right, I wouldn't kill Damon or Klaus. I have never killed in my life, but I would most certainly kill Cyrus, Elena. Everyone has their limit, and he's mine."
"I don't believe you." Elena shrugged.
"You don't have to believe me, Elena. I don't care if you do."
"I promised him five minutes. What harm could that do? Please don't let me break my promise."
"It wasn't your promise to make. This can have no happily ever after, Elena. I trust Klaus to look after Sara more than I could ever trust him. Honestly, I'd trust Damon with Sara more than I'd trust him."
"What did he do?" Elena frowned.
"Like I said." I put a hand on my hip, signalling the finality of the conversation. "It's none of your business."