9

"Come on, we won't have any alcohol." Maria coerced Xander. "We'll just go to the Grill and hang out. Like we used to."
"But people know I'm dead. They'll wonder how I'm alive."
"I'll do a spell."
"To change what I look like?"
"Yeah. Only people you want to see you, will." She said
"Fine. Before I change my mind."

"Do you think it's even possible to contact Lexi?" Elena was saying as Maria walked up to them, Xander in tow.
"What's going on?"
"Ghosts have a physical foothold on our side now." Elena replied and looked up. "Wait Xander?"
"Hey Elena."
"Why's he here? I've never thought of what happens to humans when they die." Maria waited for the penny to drop. "Unless... You're supernatural?"
"Yes, I am. I'm a warlock."
"Woah. Is there anyone in this town who isn't supernatural?"
"Doubtful. Hence the name Mystic falls..." Maria teased her little sister. "Why do you need to contact Lexi? She was Stefan's best friend, right?"
"I don't know if I can anyways. I didn't have an emotional connection with her. I never even met her." Jeremy sighed.
"Can we just drop it, please?" Alaric pleaded.
"No, I can't drop it, Ric. I don't know what else to do." Elena sounded exasperated as she said it. She was really determined to get her Stefan back.
"Don't you think we have a few too many dead vampires in our past to be sitting here thinking of them watching us?"
"Is Anna here right now?" As far as Maria could see she wasn't, but maybe her brother could see her.
"No, no. I'm going to go, uh, check my work schedule."
"Why are you so disapproving, Elena?" Maria asked once Jeremy was gone.
"Because he's dating my best friend. I don't want him to hurt her or end up hurting himself because he couldn't let go."
"And what if this is the closure he needs? His girlfriend was killed, Elena, by his uncle nonetheless. He didn't get to properly say goodbye, and this whole thing could be his way of trying to let go of the past. I know that this will probably be the only time I'll get to see Xander so I'm trying to make the most of it. Make a few last memories, and try to say goodbye." Elena stared. She opened her mouth to say something but Stefan came over.
"Hey, guys. Who forgot to invite me to the family and friends summit?"
"Well you know. You're not family, and right now, you're not a friend." Maria retorted. Xander looked over at her and she subtly shook her head. Stefan ignored her, and took one of the journals Elena had.
"Hmm? Wow. All these words. I forgot how much I used to care."
"I didn't."
"You know, Elena, it's probably best you not torture yourself with memories from the past. It's best we both just move on and accept things as they are."
"You don't have to be here, Stefan."
"You know what, Alaric, you're right. I don't. But Elena's here, and I look out for Elena. Besides, there's going to be people everywhere tonight. So there's going to be lots to eat."
"I won't let you do that, Stefan. Try to eat anyone tonight and I swear I will bring hell upon you, humanity on or off." Maria threatened.
"Ooh, I'm quaking in my boots." He laughed. "You're only human, which means you can just as easily die. Besides, I'm only kidding. Loosen up. I wouldn't eat in large crowds. Dodgy alleyways are much better. People are more scared then." He stood up and left.
"I can't drop it, Ric." Elena repeated.

"Let's go inside and get food. We can try to see if the spell actually works."
"It worked on Stefan. And you didn't mind everyone else seeing."
"Well Stefan doesn't know what I look like so he's hardly a test subject."
"Have I ever been wrong about a spell?"
"Well..."
"Fine, I get it, now come on. And don't forget it's linked to you, so if you want someone to see you but you know they shouldn't, they'll see you."
"I know. I don't want people other than you and friends to see me."
"Yes you will. But if they do see you, I'll be here every step of the way."
"And I'm glad about it. I know I'll have to go away, but you should know that I'm glad we got to spend today together. It really is closure. You can finally date your boyfriend."
"Michael isn't my boyfriend."
"Yet."
"Please tell me you've met girls I can tease you about."
"We're back to friends, aren't we? You like Michael. You don't care about me the way you used to."
"I still care about you."
"I know you do. But we don't seem to match anymore. It's like I look and see that we're not meant to be. Don't get me wrong, I love you, but I don't think I'm in love with you anymore."
"What's her name?"
"Naima." He replied. "How did you know? I told you there was no 'her'."
"Please, it's a girl thing. It's okay. I know exactly how you feel. I didn't think I would ever not be in love with you but now that we're in the same room, I don't feel like I used to. I love you too, but we probably work better as friends."
"That went better than I expected."
"I am not petty." Maria frowned. "Okay, maybe I'm a little petty, but I'm really happy for you. I know a girl who makes you smile like that is a lucky girl. I know that you would only fall for someone who has a good heart, and I know that you more than like her."
"Thanks."
"Tell me about her."
"I'm not sure about that."
"I'm pretty sure you've stalked Michael. You're a ghost and all that. I don't have the same privileges. The least you could do is tell me about her from your point of view."
"Fine. She's sweet, she's smart. She's like at genius level smart. She knows how to make me laugh. She has a tough shell, and she's not naive. She put up with coming to London with me while I basically spied on my alive girlfriend when I, myself, was dead."
"She sounds like a keeper. Don't screw it up." Maria said.
"What's her last name?"
"Why?"
"Relax. What's the worst I can do? I just want to know more about her. You probably know a lot about Michael."
"True. I'll tell you what you need to know. So before she died, she was a witch and wasn't the best person, and she, well, she died before she could turn her life back around."
"Well, right now, I don't hate her because she doesn't sound like some weak, whinging twit. I'm just happy you found someone who won't take your crap, and will challenge you. Someone who'll bring the best out in you. Sure she'll probably have her downs but if you like her, that's good enough for me. I know your type, and you would never date someone evil. I hope" Maria added.
"Definitely. Unlike normal exes you're not really a bitch." Xander coughed and amended himself. "Well not always."
"Rude. Remember who taught you your magic."
"But you refused to use it."
"I lent you my grimoire. And I didn't use magic back then."
"I know. I'm glad you're using it now. I know we don't have much time, and I wish I was alive but in death I met one of the amazing women in my life. Of course Sheila being up there, along with my aunt."
"What did you leave her?"
"She still had a ton of stuff from what she inherited from my parents, so I gave her my or what would be my tuition fee. I gave her my parents' beach house in Florida, and my dad's business."
"You're so sweet."
"Promise me tomorrow you'll go to the lawyer. There's something else. It won't mean anything really now, but it's charmed so I'd rather you kept it on you at all times."
"Sure, of course." Maria replied. She had no idea why he was so adamant about it, or so nervous, but she'd do this for him.