10

Xander and Maria sat at the front of the bar talking, and just chilling when Maria saw Damon walk up to Alaric.
"You know, I've had enough vampires today, thanks." Alaric said.
"Oh, come on. Have a drink with me. We've got trouble."
"No, you've got trouble. See, we're not a team. You tried to kill me. All right? We're not friends. I don't like you anymore." Maria inwardly cheered Alaric.
"Ah! But remember back when you liked me and we conspired to kill Uncle werewolf Mason Lockwood?"
"Yeah, and?"
"I think he's still a little pissed." Maria smirked. Since the dead were coming back, she could assume Mason Lockwood did too. Then Mason came, unexpectedly.
"Mason." Alaric said, tense.
"Mason!" Maria said happily.
"Maria." He replied. "What are you doing here?"
"Well, I'm just hanging out. How are you? I heard you were dead."
"Well, nice to see someone cares."
"How do you know him?"
"I've lived in Mystic falls my entire life. He used to live here. Do the math."
"And nice to see someone else hates Damon."
"Why wouldn't I? He's killed my brother before, there's you as well, and a bunch of other people I held dear."
"Elena doesn't seem to."
"I'm not Elena. But how is it there? Come here." She stood up, and gave him a huge hug. "I'm so sorry about what that dick did to you. You didn't deserve it."
"Thanks, Maria. I've seen you around. I'm glad you're being happy."
"Don't make the Other side not fun for you. You may not be actually able to feel things you touch but you can still touch. Go to funfairs, the beach. Have fun in your dead life."
"After I make sure Tyler doesn't screw up his life, I will. If I can. I don't think I can. I definitely won't be able to feel it."
"Try, for me. Please?"
"Of course, Marie." He gave her a side hug. He took a glass and drank contentedly. "God, I miss whiskey."
"Told ya." Damon said to Alaric as Mason smashed the glass on his head. Damon and Alaric looked at each other as Mason just drank. Damon got a text message on his phone- probably Elena- and said something to himself. Maria wasn't really listening to his drama, right now. She tuned in once she heard revenge. Damon continued, "-venge. Get in line."
"Actually, I want an apology." Alaric laughed and looked at Mason.
"Good luck with that." He said taking a sip.
"Don't you have a family to haunt? You know your nephew has turned into a mindless hybrid Minion."
"That's why I'm here. To help Tyler." He looked at Maria. "And Maria of course."
"Me?"
"Yes you, Maria. I do watch over you sometimes too, you know. You're practically family."
"She is? Funny I don't recall the Gilberts and co, other than Jenna being friends with you."
"Shut up, Damon. He was best friends with my uncle."
"Oh."
"Yeah, you insensitive little rat."
"As much as I would love him to get the full Maria-hate treatment, don't forget he means something to your sister."
"My brother meant something to my sister. She forgave Damon for killing him. If not, I can live with it."
"Come on, Maria. He's not even worth your energy. Revenge is actually pretty pointless, really. I'm here for Tyler and you. Remember Darkness cannot drive out Darkness only light can do that-"
"Hate cannot drive out Hate, only love can do that. I know, but I'm never going to love him."
"Not saying you have to it's just Hating someone makes them important-"
"Forgiving them makes them obsolete. I know. Those are like your two top quotes about hatred. But I'm not forgiving a murderer, Mase."
"No-one's saying you have to. Just don't kill him." Xander butted in.
"Well, either way, half of your problem is, well, a problem. Sorry to break it to you, buddy, but Tyler can't be helped. At least not while Klaus is alive. Which is, like, always."
"Not necessarily. Not if you found a weapon that could kill him."
"There is no weapon that...What do you know?"
"I know you need to apologise." Maria smirked as she leaned into her ex-boyfriend, in a friendly gesture of course.
"You've got to be kidding me."
"Are you incapable of remorse? Just apologise!" Alaric seemed to be fed up of Damon.
"You did after all, kill the man. Honestly, I'd probably forgive Klaus before I forgave you." Maria said.
"Really?"
"No. I could never forgive Klaus. He murdered my aunt. That's a huge no-no. And even if I were to forgive him, I couldn't ever actually forgive him because that would mean I'd have to forgive you, and I can't forgive you." Damon sighed and turned to Mason.
"You're right. I didn't have to kill you. I do a lot of things I don't have to do." Mason stared at him before laughing.
"That's good enough." Maria rolled her eyes.
"Xander, come on. Let's have fun."
"This is fun."
"We already watched a soap opera. We don't need another."
"Fine, where to?" Xander sighed reluctantly.
"No idea. You can't leave Mystic falls can you?"
"No, and I'm pretty sure the grill is the only place to hang out."
"We could always go to school. Show you around."
"You're not in school."
"I have no clue. We'll find something to do. Wander the forest and whatnot." Maria suggested.
"Or instead, we could wander the streets of mystic falls. Like normal people." Xander replied back, sarcastically.
"I guess. Well, it's the illuminations night, so we could go to the town square."
"Let's go!"

"Anna! Anna!" Jeremy called, looking around. Maria bumped into her little brother.
"Hey, Jeremy. What's going on?"
"I can't find Anna." He said, looking around.
"Hey! Hey!" She tried to get his attention. "We'll find her."
"Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. Mr. Fell seems to have been detained, so the history department's very own Mr. Saltzman has agreed to fill in." Carol said. Alaric headed towards the stage.
"On behalf of Mystic Falls High School Historical Society, let's light 'em up!" Someone screamed and Maria's head snapped up. She looked around to see one of the history teachers strung up. She recognised him as one of her teachers in 8th grade. Mr Fell.
"Oh crap. No more supernatural nonsense today. No doubt the Mystic Falls' very own crime fighting crew is on this."
"They don't fight crime... just people who want to kill your sister."
"Whatever. Anything to do with a vampire or some supernatural and they're there."
"Come on, then. Where to?"
"Any place."