38

"Maria, I'm bored!" Hanna said, making faces at Sara. "And so's Sara."
"Sorry, what would you like to do?"
"Can we go outside?"
"Not today," She frowned. "Would you like to watch a movie?"
"No."
"Bake?"
"Kitchen is too hot." She rolled her eyes.
"You can do anything you want as long as we stay inside the house." I told her.
"Anything?" A smirk grew on her face.
"Sure." I rolled my eyes.
"Makeover!" She squealed and picked Sara up before dragging me up the stairs to Lydia's room. She pushed me on my bed and put Sara next to me.
"Ouch." I told her. She walked over to the dresser, pulling out a makeup bag. I groaned playfully. Truthfully, I'd have let her do absolutely anything as long as she stayed inside. Jeremy followed us and walked up to the room.
"Don't you know any guys?" He groaned.
"There's Michael."
"Where is he?"
"I don't know," I swat Hanna's hand away from my face. "Gimme a sec, Hanna. Let me call Mikey."
"Mikey?" Jeremy raised a brow. I shrugged. I took my phone away from Sara. "Do you like him?"
"Yes." I replied simply, dialling Michael's number.
"Does he know that?" Jeremy asked.
"Yes."
"Are you sure?"
"Positive. It's just timing. Mystic Falls. Bad guys. Klaus." I told Jeremy. "I guess sometimes liking one another isn't enough."
"That sounds like an excuse. If you like him and really see something there, I say go for it. Forget about everything else for a moment. About everyone else. Try it out." I held out a finger, as Michael picked up.
"Hey, Mikey. Where are you?"
"Um-" He said. "That's sort of complicated."
"Next door?" I asked. That made sense, I was technically about to have a party.
"No?" He replied, unsure.
"I'm going to send Jeremy over to you. He's just about to go crazy."
"Okay. How did you know where I was?"
"Long story, Mikey. But, thanks." I said. "I will see you later, okay?"
"Okay, I'll see you later, M." He hung up.
"Michael is next door." I told Jeremy. I stood and knocked on the wall and placed my hand on it- it was a contingency plan I'd made with Lydia. In case one of us invited the wrong vampire in. It'd open up some kind of portal allowing us to travel to and fro each other's places without technically leaving a property. No vampire could intercept us with the outside and with Cyrus lurking around, I didn't trust my brother wouldn't get taken in that second he was between Lydia's house and mine.
"Awesome, this is like, so cool." He put his hand through, and brought it back. "Awesome."
"Just go through already." I pushed him. I tapped the wall, closing the portal. "Hanna, I am all yours." I smiled at her, sitting back down.
"Good." She smiled. She held up some mascara, eyeliner, eyeshadow, concealer, foundation, lip liner, lip gloss, and lip stick. It didn't really seem like it was much, compared to T and Kara. "We're doing simple."
"Have you ever done this before?" I asked her.
"Yeah, of course. The girls and I did this all the time at back at Little O," She shrugged.

An hour later, she let me look in the mirror. "You're really good." I told her.
"I know," She flicked her hair over her shoulder. "I wanna be a makeup artist when I'm older."
"Then that is what you'll be."
"Okay, come on. Now, we have to dress you."
"Who put you up to this?" I asked.
"No one, I just want us to have fun." She shrugged. She went through Lydia's closet.
"You'd never go through Lydia's room, unless you had permission. Which means, this was all planned. For the party, right?"
"You know?"
"Yeah, I do. All I know is that there's a party to cheer me up."
"Who told you?"
"Well, now. That's my secret, isn't it?"
"Fine." Hanna got a dress out of the closet. "Wear this."
"What is it?" I unfolded it. It was a black skater dress.
"Quick! I still have to do your hair." She said. I rolled my eyes before disappearing into the toilet. I came out five minutes later.
"Zip me up?" I said. She was halfway through doing her own makeup.
"Sure, that was freakishly quick."
"Well, I'm awesome like that." I shrugged. She quickly zipped the back of my dress before pushing me into a chair. She plaited half of my hair, and straightened the other half. "I will find you an outfit while you finish off your own makeup, kay?"
"Okay." She grinned. I rummaged through Lydia's closet, only to finally find a top. I narrowed my eyes before realising, it could make a decent dress. The arms were lace, and it was kind of a long top, something that would normally come up to my, or Lydia's mid thigh. Since Hanna was pretty small, it would be a perfect dress. I found a thin brown belt.
"Okay, got it!" I said turning around.
"That's a top." She said. "Nothing here's going to fit me. So I brought my own."
"Just try it on?" I told her. "You can wear your own outfit, if you don't like it." She nodded and slipped out of her clothes putting it on. I helped her adjust it then added the belt.
"I love it!" She grinned. "So, I guess, T bought me a new dress for no reason."
"T bought it?"
"Well, she chose it and all, but she used Klaus's credit card."
"Klaus?"
"Yeah."
"She shouldn't have." I groaned. "She's not supposed to be encouraging him."
"Encouraging him?" She raised a brow. "He wants to help you, so just accept it."
"What he's trying to do is get me to forgive him and fall for him again and I can't, and I don't want to encourage him knowing there's no way I will get past this. Not with Jenna and John dead. It'd be cruel and manipulative to let him believe I can ignore all of what's happened. I won't get his hopes up, and I'm not going to just take his things and play with him and drop him later on. Maybe if he cuts his losses now and moves on, he can find someone who can love him."
"But you do love him."
"I do, but I can't. I shouldn't. And no matter what I feel, I can't ever be with him. Not really. To let him shower me with gifts, and take advantage of him? That's just not me. Maybe if I was Elena, I could. But I can't. And I have to help him realise. I don't want to hurt him. Not like this."
"Well Jenna says, your happiness is what matters most."