31

Maria sighed as she walked into her room. There was no way she'd be able to go back to sleep now. She looked over at her phone and saw hundreds of messages. Frowning she looked to see that the group chat Kara had made and called the British Supernaturals had blown up overnight. She read through them all to find out that a few of her friends had died two days ago. Maria woke up T, telling her what had happened and asked her to check on Kara next door. Maria wondered what it was that had killed her friends, at least five of her friends. She realised that they'd all either been sired by the same person. She stopped. Could that have had an effect on what it was that was killing them. According to those around them, they'd coughed up blood before dying within minutes, all at around the same time. Maria wondered if the Original were fine or if they had been the cause of it. She paused for a moment before deciding to call Klaus. He picked up on the first ring.
"Look." She said before he uttered a word. "This isn't a social call. We're not friends or anything,"
"Then why call?" He asked.
"Because I need answers, Klaus. My friends are dying and I have a feeling you know why."
"Even if I did why would I tell you?"
"You have no reason to. This one act wouldn't redeem you in my eyes or anything. I'm not manipulating you. I'm just asking because I thought you might know and it was worth a try. If you're not going to tell me, then just let me know and I'll find out another way."
"You really want to know why they're dying. Your sister's involved."
"What do you mean?"
"Elena. She and her friends murdered Finn. Kill an original vampire, and anyone who was sired by him dies too."
"What?"
"I didn't know. I just knew that your sister was going to try to kill us all, so I had Bonnie unlink my family."
"Using my brother as an incentive."
"Kol wasn't to harm him, don't you worry. Just to keep an eye on him so that my entire family wouldn't die."
"Elena killed Finn?"
"Yes."
"And that's why my friends have been dying?"
"Yes."
"Thanks for telling me." Maria said and hung up. She turned around to see Jeremy at her door. "Are you okay?"
"What do you mean your friends have been dying?"
"As usual, Elena didn't think about the consequences of her actions. I have a few vampire friends in England- ones who are actually good, who haven't killed, Kara's one of them. And I foundo ut this morning they died. Because Elena killed Finn."
"I'm sorry, Maria."
"Why? It wasn't your fault. My friends are dead because of Elena. You were in Denver, so it's not like you knew she was going to kill him."
"I didn't know all of his sire line died with him or that you had a lot of vampire friends. I knew he was dead- it's why they brought me back to Mystic Falls. Because Klaus was spying on me."
"Yeah- are you okay?"
"I'm fine."
"Elena came by a couple minutes ago. She told me Kol was spying on you in Denver. Then I called Klaus just now to see if he knew why random vampires were dying and he told me he used you to give Bonnie an initiative to unlink his family. I'm sorry you had to go through that."
"It isn't your fault, Mia."
"Well, I'm definitely meeting up with Elena later today. She wants to talk, I am definitely going to talk." Maria waved her hands around.
"Mia-"
"She asked for this Jeremy. She killed an Original vampire. What, did she not expect anything to happen? They were made by magic a thousand years ago. She didn't care about the consequences."
"Maria-"
"I know you love her Jeremy, and that's okay. I'm not asking you to hate her or to choose a side. But she's a selfish brat and I am so glad you are nothing like her."
"Maria, I was just going to say Klaus is still on the line." Jeremy pointed at the phone in her hand that showed that her call with Klaus was still ongoing.
"Oh." Maria looked sheepish. She raised her phone. "Oops."
"Don't worry, love." Came Klaus's cocky drawl. "It was quite entertaining. Do apologise to your brother for me."
"You are going to forget the last few minutes happened." She said.
"And if I don't?" He said.
"Goodbye Klaus." Maria said and hung up, this time making sure she actually did.
"What did he say?" Jeremy raised a brow.
"He said to apologise to you from him."
"Really? Apologise?"
"Yes. He was like 'do apologise to your brother for me'" Maria mimicked.
"Well, that's new." Sara moved around on the bed, and Maria turned around to see her waking up.
"Oh hey, princess." Maria cooed. "You slept in today."