27

"You know, Lydia. You're a pretty great neighbour." Michael said. T had to give him a 'herbal' alternative to anaesthesia to help with his pain, it turned out he had some internal bleeding and he didn't mention he was hurt more than the girls could see. Nobody said magic came without a price. So this alternative made him quite loopy and immune to pain- but seriously crazy.
"Are you drunk?" She asked him, and turned to Maria. "Is he drunk?"
"He had to undergo this procedure, and he's still suffering side effects."
"You're pretty too." He smiled. "I think Maria's really beautiful. And she's so nice. And a great mother to Sara. I just wished she liked me back."
"So you like her?" Lydia asked, keeping his focus on her.
"I love her. But she doesn't love me. She's in love with this other guy and he's a dick."
"Are you sure she's still in love with him?"
"Maybe. I don't know. She likes him, I know, but I don't know if she loves him anymore. He did some bad things but it's practically impossible to fall out of love. I should know. I tried to not love her when she started to date him."
"I do fancy you, Michael. I mean, when I got to England you were there for me as well as your sister. You were always someone I depended on. I kinda wanted you to ask me out, but you never did. Then Nick came along and I started to like him and he openly returned my feelings. Then after he left you were still there. You never left me and you were just sweet." He looked up and noticed her next to him.
"That's not good. I'm totally friend-zoned now." He mimicked a gun and put it to his head and shot himself.
"No, you're not. I would love to go out with you, idiot. I'm just scared Klaus will come after you. You know he's got a temper."
"I can protect myself. I'm a big strong boy, now." Michael flexed his muscles.
"I should probably stop him before he embarrasses himself even more, shouldn't I?" T whispered. Now Lydia was in the background with her, as Michael focused on Maria.
"Eh, you're his sister. Which means you can be evil enough to let him carry on." Lydia whispered back.
"Michael, just get some rest. We'll talk about this when the medications wear off. I can't take you seriously right now." Maria chuckled. She put the blanket over him and kissed his forehead. He pouted. "Don't give me that face, young man."
There was a knock on the door. "Called it." T smirked.
"Hey Lydia, let me introduce you to my sister." Maria smirked. The two girls walked to the front door to see Elena, Caroline, and Stefan at the door step. "This is my sister Elena, her best friend Caroline and my sister's boyfriend? Ex boyfriend? Whatever he is, Stefan."
"Hi, nice to meet you. I'm Lydia." She turned to Maria, "So you're sisters?"
"I'm adopted, Lydia. Didn't I tell you?"
"No. I don't think you did."
"Oh. Well I am. Technically, so's she. But she didn't know until- when was it, two years ago? But then, she's like Grayson's brother's daughter. So she's still biologically related. It's a seriously long story."
"Nice to meet you Lydia." Caroline smiled perkily. "Hey Maria, we were wondering if you're still pissed at Damon? And if by any chance you could just leave him alone and ignore him?"
"No." Maria didn't even pretend to think about it.
"I'll be the first to admit that he's a dick, and a douche, and he probably doesn't deserve to live in this world and-"
"Do you have a point, Care?" Elena asked.
"I did when I started. Let me try again, Damon- never mind I forgot where I was going with it."
"What did this Damon dude do, for it to take three people to come speak on his behalf?"
"You know how beat up Michael was, and how he is now? That's because of Damon."
"Then why are you three defending him? He beat up a guy. A pretty sweet guy, by the looks of it. A pretty sweet, very hot guy."
"He is seriously hot, isn't he? And they're defending him because Stefan's his brother. Elena's in love with him, and Caroline's just on their side."
"Oh. And I thought my life was messed up."
"You haven't seen the half of it."
"I was talking about your sister, but sure." Stefan glared at Lydia for her insult, while Maria just snorted.
"This is why I absolutely like you, Lydia."
"Why, because she insulted your sister? I get what your issue is and correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't there a time where you would get pissed at anyone who insulted your sister. Like last week with Elijah?" Caroline asked.
"That was before she said she didn't regret letting Esther threaten my daughter." Maria raised her brow. Lydia sucked in a breath.
"That- that's low. Damn girl, you screwed up." Lydia said to Elena, disliking the girl even more. She couldn't stand this girl. How dare she side with the guy who beat up her sister's friend, soon to be boyfriend? Who was she to not stick up for her sister when some other woman threatened her daughter?
"You don't know me." Elena said.
"I don't want to know you. You let your niece get threatened, and didn't help. Then you tell your sister you didn't regret it? That's messed up. And have you seen how Michael looks? That other guy, Dustbin? Dustin? I don't even remember, did that to him. You'd have to be really messed in the head to do that to another person."
"Let me fill you in, Lyds." Maria turned to her. "So you remember that old boyfriend we were talking about. So he's in mystic falls, and he's obsessed with finding my sister because she looks exactly like this girl he used to know. You know how there's like 7 people in the world who look exactly like you? Well that's actually true because I've seen more than one girl with that face. Anyways the first girl my ex knew that had her face, died but he loved her. Then he knew another girl who betrayed him and now he hates Elena but he's curious because she's the third girl who looks like that. Damon and Stefan and Caroline and all of Elena's friends band together against him. Now he's pretty dodgy, but so's Damon and Stefan. At least they say they used to be. Then Klaus, my ex, well his family came to this town. It was their home town too, a really long time ago then they went travelling. Anyways, so they're all here, and their mother- who was supposed to be dead- isn't anymore. She threw a ball to mask the fact that she wants to get rid of her kids, all of them and enlists Elena and my help. Of course I say no because well, it's obvious. Elena, on the other hand, is so freaking eager. So the woman, tried to force my help but I'm too smart for her to manipulate so she kept me upstairs in her room and wasn't going to let me go home until it was too late, but then let me go and told me if I warned any of her kids, she'd kill me and leave Sara motherless. And that's the gist of it."
"When you say get rid of-"
"Let's not go there."
"No no no, why don't you enlighten your friend?" Stefan challenged.
"Actually, I'm good. If you want me to know something, I probably shouldn't know. You guys all seem dodgy as hell." Lydia grimaced and walked back into the house leaving Maria at the front door.
"Are you really going to kill Damon?" Elena asked, horrified.
"I don't know. Why don't you wait and see?" Maria smirked. "Now if you'll excuse me, I have an injured guy to look after. You can thank Damon for that."
"Don't act innocent. You started it, he told us about how much you hurt him."
"Yes and he killed Jeremy, and I also hurt Klaus. I don't see him beating up Michael. He knew he crossed a line, and he's not going to retaliate. Now ask yourself, who's worse? Klaus or Damon? I say Damon."
"How could you even ask that? After everything Klaus has done to us."
"I'm not saying he's a fucking angel, but you seem to forget Damon has done a few things, and you just forgave him. Damon is worse than Klaus to me, because even though you say he's a changed man, he continues hurting people we care about. He's hurt more people I care about than Klaus has."
"Why don't you list them and we'll see?" Elena challenged.
"Okay let's see. Klaus has killed Uncle John, Aunt Jenna, and he's hurt Jeremy. Damon has killed Vicki, he's killed Jeremy, and Mason, and he went after Michael. Oh and let's not forget Mr Tanner."
"Technically I killed Vicki." Stefan corrected.
"Plus Mr Tanner was a jerk." Elena chimed.
"You're defending his killing a human? And Mr Tanner wasn't a jerk to me."
"Yeah, well everyone liked you. The poor orphaned girl adopted by the Gilberts. You always had an excuse."
"You think Mr Tanner excused me from trouble? That guy pushed me. He was the one who wouldn't let me be weak. He told me, and this is when I first realised he wasn't a dick, 'If you use losing almost everyone you know as an excuse then I was wrong. Life is going to be hard, you'll lose people, but you need to focus on those you still have. No one will replace your parents, but you need to work now and make sure your future is better.' That guy saved me from the haze of destruction I put myself in."
"That guy picked on me, when mom and dad died. He picked on the whole class. He hated me."
"He didn't hate anyone. He was the only teacher who actually cared. Yeah sure he'd make some dicky comments but, he'd motivate. He was the best teacher I've ever had. He really impacted my life. And Vicki? Yeah, sure. Stefan might've delivered the final blow but Damon turned her because he got bored and in doing so, doomed her. I blame him for that."
"You forgot me. Klaus killed me." Elena tried. Nothing else was working.
"Yes, but you came to life and in doing so uncle John died. He didn't kill the two of you. You're right, I should just blame Klaus for your death, but that doesn't change his count. Because if I blame him for you, then I have to blame John for himself. John sacrificed his own life. Klaus didn't know what happened. Also Klaus didn't kill Jeremy, Damon did. Klaus knows where there's a limit. Damon obviously doesn't. And if you're just going to go ahead and brush over the fact that Damon beat up Michael to the point where he was almost dying, as well as keep him captive, then- actually never mind, Elena. I'm not surprised at anything you do right now. So please, get out of my face. As long as you surround yourself with your vampire boytoys, I don't want to see you or hear from you."