33

Jeremy and I didn't get to finish our disagreement. I heard someone knocking on my door, so I decided to check it out. I opened the door to Lydia's house to see the sheriff at mine next door.
"Hello sheriff."
"Maria?" She looked to her side and saw me. "Did I get the wrong house?"
"No, this is my neighbours house, and we all decided to hang out here. Is there something you need?" I heard a pitter latter of tiny feet running towards me and latching onto my leg. I looked down and saw Sara. I picked her up, smiling warmly at her before turning back to the sheriff.
"No, nothing like that, I just heard you were in town and I wanted to see how you were." She said.
"I'm fine, I heard you killed my brother though." She looked at me, slightly shocked. "Look, I get it was an accident, and I definitely understand the urge to kill Damon, just next time, don't miss."
"I didn't miss, he sped out of the way. I'm sorry. How is Jeremy?"
"He's fine." I smiled at her.
"Look, Maria, I know you asked me to stop looking into what happened when you left town, and leave it unsolved, but please let me try again."
"Don't you have a serial killer on your hands?"
"Doesn't mean I don't want to help you."
"You spent half a year on it, I don't want to see you go down that rabbit hole again." I told her. "It all but consumed you the last time."
"It's been a few years, I can do it this time, please?"
"Okay." I backed down. "You should come inside. You can meet Sara properly."
"You named her Sara?" She asked.
"Yeah. Sara Hanna Lorde."
"She's beautiful. She looks like you." She commented.  I walked into the house to the front room letting Liz trail in.
"Sheriff?" Jeremy asked. "Is everything okay?"
"She just heard I was back. Hey you guys stay here with Sara, I'm going to go check on Lydia." I said and walked upstairs. I knocked on her door twice, just in case she was asleep. "Lyd?"
She opened the door a few seconds later. "Hey."
"Are you okay?" I asked her.
"I'm fine, just super tired."
"Oh, Okay. You sleep, and get your rest. The sheriff's here, I hope you don't mind my letting her in."
"Is everything okay?"
"Yeah, she tried my door and I heard it and taking Sara next door is actually quite a bit of work. You just rest, yeah?"
"Are you sure?"
"Positive." She nodded at me and closed the door as I walked away. I went back down to join everyone else.

"So how was England," Liz asked when I entered the room.
"It was fun." I smiled. "For a while it was great."
"I'm in the room, you know." Kara spoke up. "And I feel offended."
"Hey, I loved England. Then I came here to all of this." I amended,
"Well, you'll be going home soon, to happiness and rainbows." Jeremy commented.
"We talked about this. I go, you go. You stay, I stay." I glared at him.
"You're planning on going back to England." Liz stated.
"Sort of." I told her. "Not without Jeremy who is refusing to go."
"Oh, I should hurry then." She said. "I have some work."
"Promise me you'll be okay." I asked. "I don't want to see you way too into it."
"I'll be fine." She assured and stood to leave. Sara opened the front door with her magic.
"What?" Liz asked.
"Don't," I shook my head. She nodded and walked out.
"Do I wanna know what you guys were talking about?" Jeremy asked.
"Yeah." Kara replied and I glared at her.
"Its nothing. Last time she had a big case she got really immersed, and I don't want her to get as bad with this serial killer case."
"Liar." He accused.
"I swear. I just don't want to see her so consumed by the case she's working on."
"That's true." Kara added.
"Stay here with Sara for a sec, would you Jer?" I asked. "I need to talk to Kara."
"Just tell me what's going on." He pleaded.
"It's nothing." I assured him before grabbing Kara's hand and leading her outside.
"He has a right to know." She said once I closed the door behind us.
"No. No he doesn't. No kid deserves to know his big sister went through that."
"He's not a kid, anymore. Look at him. He's lost people, he's died. He can handle it."
"He will always be my baby brother. Always." I glared at her. "And he's gone through so much suffering already. He doesn't need any more. It's not your decision to make, Kara. I know you're just trying to help, but how is this going to help him? It's just going to hurt him, and I don't want that."
"I get it, but if Crystal had gone through what you did, I would want to know about it."
"It's not about want. Jeremy doesn't need this, Kara. I mean look at him, two of his girlfriends died. He's lost his parents, and his aunt and uncle. I mean, I couldn't handle all that. It's why I went to England."
"That and Sara, and crazy out of control magic."
"Just trust me, Kara. There's no reason to tell him." Kara just nodded and walked back into Lydia's house, and I followed.