44

"So you dated a psychotic guy who ended up killing Jenna and Elena?" Sara asked. "Since when do you go for bad boys?"
"Sara!" I smacked her shoulder lightly, grinning.
"I'm serious. I mean, Xavier was like the boy-next-door type, and Michael is also the boy-next-door type." She shrugged. "But between them, you dated an evil vampire psychopath?"
"He wasn't always a psychopath." I defended. "The year that we dated, he was kind of sweet. And I don't have a type, you know. Just as long as they're not evil."
"He is evil."
"Hence the reason we're not getting back together." I told her.
"You're defending him. Next thing you know it'll be, He only bit me when he was drunk."
"Actually, it was only during sex." I smirked at her. "It was kind of hot."
"Maria!" She said, scandalised, then leaned in. "Wait really?"
"Sara!" I smacked her shoulder again.
"Ow! Enough with the abuse, woman." She grinned. "Okay, tell me more about this Klaus guy."
"Why are you so eager to know more?" I asked her.
"He's the first bad boy you dated."
"He's the second and last guy I've ever dated!" I shook my head.
"Just come on. You date the guy for a year, and all you're telling me is that he's a psycho vampire, and he may or may not have bitten you during intimate times."
"When I was with him, I didn't know him as Klaus. None of us did. His name was Nick. I knew he was a vampire, but he's never been anything but good to me, and he was really good with Sara. He saved my life a few times, and I fell in love for him. We got serious, and I was head over heels for him. And then he just left. He was pretty much a dick about it. He tried to compel me to forget about him, and I played along. I never told him I was a witch. I don't know, I just kept it a secret. Then I came back to Mystic Falls and Elena dragged me to her senior prank night that he crashed and then he tried to compel me to remember and I never really told him outright that I was a witch. I don't know, I guess he found out when his mother tried to kill him and his siblings but we never talked about that."
"His mother tried to kill him?"
"Yeah, she asked to meet with both Elena and I, and I didn't exactly trust her so I put my magic in one of Sara's teddy bears. One Nick got for her, actually. I let Elena believe that I wanted to keep it somewhere close, at the ball when we were meeting Esther, the mother, and pretended to put it in Caroline's pendant. I was just being careful in case someone tried to compel her to tell them. Esther wanted to meet with us because she wanted our help in linking her kids so that she could kill Finn, her eldest, and all her kids would be linked. She wanted my help to ensure that there's be no way to unlink them, and Elena sold me out. She went to get what she thought was my magic but was just a necklace."
"The same Elena who wouldn't hurt a fly?"
"Yeah. Anyways, Esther linked myself and her, but I couldn't exactly defend myself. It took half the night for T, Michael and myself to unlink us and the next day I went to go warn them, but I was kind of late, because Elijah had a back up plan, although that plan was to kidnap my sister so that the salvatores would help them or he'd get his sister to do whatever she wanted to Elena and Rebekah really hated Elena."
"What?"
"Yeah, and then I don't know I guess I never said it outright but since almost everyone knows about the whole me being a witch since Elena decided selling me out to the original witch wasn't enough and told her boy toys."
"Wow, I guess Elena has changed."
"She's only getting worse from what I've seen. She doesn't care who gets hurt as long as Klaus ends up dead."
"I'm sorry." Sara sighed. "Just to be clear we don't want Klaus dead?"
"We don't want to kill Klaus. We don't want people around us to kill Klaus."
"We still love Klaus?" Sara and I sometimes did this thing where we'd talk as a 'we' rather than an 'I' because it was easier to say things when we used 'we'.
"We will always love Klaus, but we won't get back together with him. Klaus hurt us. Klaus hurt people we love. Klaus killed people we loved."
"Klaus killed people before we knew him. We forgave him for that?"
"We didn't judge Klaus for his past. Klaus is a vampire."
"But they're people still. We can't judge him for killing people we love if we don't judge him for killing people, period."
"We don't judge him for killing people we love. We judge him for leaving a life of no killing and happiness to go kill people we love. We'd feel the same way if he left us to go kill people, period."
"We don't hate him. We're hurt?" Sara asked.
"Yes. W're hurt and we're angry, and we can't forgive him."
"But we love him a lot."
"Love has nothing to do with it."
"He makes us happy."
"He makes us sad."
"He cares about us."
"It wasn't enough for him then. It's not enough for us now."