14

"Do you think they're done yet?" Jeremy asked his sister.
"Doubtful, but let's go anyways." They walked back down. Jeremy had filled Maria in with anything else they might have forgotten to mention, and Maria in turn told Jeremy about her life while they were away. Once they got to the entrance of the living room, Maria's phone rang. She ushered her little brother in and said, "You go in, it's Elena, I'll be in soon."
"Hey where are you? Bonnie's not answering my calls." Elena shot as soon as Maria answered. Maria, huffing, rolled her eyes. She may have been in a semi-friendly place with her sister, but it wouldn't last. It never did.
"She turned her phone off, earlier. Don't worry, we're at my place."
"Oh. So who are your two friends?"
"Oh, they're my friends." Maria replied, frustrating her sister. "Don't worry, little sister. Bonnie is fine. Look- Bonnie say hi." She added, moving into the room.
"Who am I saying hi to?"
"Elena. She's convinced something's happened to you." Maria handed the phone over to Bonnie.
"Hey, Elena. Don't worry, I'm fine. Just learning more about my powers." Bonnie lied. She would eventually tell her friend, just on her own terms, and definitely not over the phone. "I don't know what time I'll be back, or if I'm coming home tonight, so I'll talk to you tomorrow."
"You guys want water?" Maria offered. There was tension between Bonnie and Jeremy and it was getting to her. She couldn't stand it.
"I'm good, thanks." Jeremy replied, and Maria let her head fall back in exasperation.
"Let's watch a movie. I need to drown out this awkwardness." She said.
"What movie?" T asked.
"I don't know. Um, deadpool? I actually haven't watched it yet."
"I'll get the snacks. You set it up." Michael said, walking out.

The next morning, Maria snuck out. She left a note on the kitchen counter though. Michael was usually the early bird, and the kitchen was the first place he went.

Hey guys, I left early. Have an appointment with a lawyer, then I have something a little personal to do. I'll probably be back by 1 pm, help yourself to whatever's here. xxx Maria

She went to Lawson and co. Xander's law firm- the one he frequented- and asked for Mr Lawson. She'd laughed at Xander when he told her the name, the irony was hilarious to her.
"Hi, I was told you wanted to see me?" He said.
"Yes, I'm Maria Lorde. It is to my understanding that Xander left more things to me after his death?"
"Right, Xander. Xander Jones, what a tragedy it was."
"Yeah, his life was cut too short. I like to believe he's found happiness, that he's in some sort of Peace."
"I'd like to believe so too." He said. "You were his girlfriend, weren't you?"
"Yes, I was." She said, and smiled.
"Well I'm truly sorry for your loss. I know he loved you a lot. And there's the matter of his house. I haven't been able to sell it and I know he'd like it to be yours until it's sold, so here are the keys there. Of course the house will still be up for sale but the realtor will have to tell you when she's showing the house to potential buyers so that you can be prepared. There's also the money, we'll deal with that in a second." He explained. Maria nodded her head. He pulled out a box "Then there's the matter of this."
"What is it?"
"It's something he wanted to give to you, something I was to hold on to until you came to see me." He opened the box to show her a beautiful necklace with a diamond in the centre. As she stared at it's beauty, Mr Lawson handed her another box. "There was this as well. He wanted you to wear both."
"Oh my god! Is that an-"
"Engagement ring? Yes. He gave me this note to explain. I don't know why he was so prepared to die before he proposed to you, but he once said it could happen at any time. He wanted to make sure you got these no matter what." He handed her a red note.

"Oh Xander." She sighed after she'd read it, before turning to Mr Lawson. "Thank you."
"It's okay, my dear. Xander was a lovely man. He was like family. His father and I were best friends. He was there for me. Helped me out practically every month." Maria's eyes widened.
"You mean, you're a were-"
"You know?"
"Yeah, I'm a witch. Xander hadn't told me he knew a werewolf."
"Well, he didn't know. After his father died, there was this little kid. I couldn't bring myself to tell him I was a monster."
"Now you're being dramatic, Mr Lawson. You're not a monster, because you turn into a wolf once a month. That doesn't make you a monster. What makes someone a monster is what they do. Their actions."
"I suppose. Anyways, this isn't about me. It's about you. Now his money. I was given strict instructions to open a new bank account in your name, where the money goes so it'd be easier to give them to you." He said. "Here are the details that you need, and if you get stuck, I'm here."