35

*3rd person*
"What did you find?" Elena asked Caroline as soon as she walked in.
"I couldn't get at it. I mean, my mother literally treats it like an extremely precious something. Never lets it out of her sight. She's always in her office and when she's going to the bathroom, she puts it in a safe and keeps the key around her neck."
"What about when she's sleeping?"
"She puts the key somewhere and I've checked everywhere but I can't find it."
"Does she have a copy online?"
"No. It's just a hard copy. It's totally impossible."
"Maybe Bonnie can-"
"No, Bonnie wouldn't approve of this plan. Also she's helping her mom out."
"Could you compel another officer?"
"Half of them are on vervain. And I tried the other half but they don't know anything."
"Who else would know what it is?"
"Jeremy?" Caroline asked.
"Even if he knew, he wouldn't say."
"This is impossible! Why don't you just ask her?" There was a knock on the door. Elena narrowed her eyes and went downstairs with Caroline right behind her.
"Klaus." She spat. "What are you doing here?"
"You murdered my brother, Elena, so you're not exactly my favourite person either." He rolled his eyes. "But how close are you to your sister right now? Would you say you two can stand each other? Or can you not go five minutes without engaging in a screaming match."
"What are you up to?"
"Nothing bad."
"Which is..."
"Look, if you don't want to answer, I'd gladly take this conversation to your brother." He smirked.
"No!" Elena said. "Look, Maria totally hates me right now. Ever since you turned her against me."
"I did no such thing. She called me, asked me if I knew why her friends were dying. I told her you killed Finn and his sire line died with him." He said. "Thank you for the information. Is there anyone in town that your sister likes? Is really close to? Except for those at her house?"
"I mean, she used to be really close to Mabel Fell and Lindsay Jackson. But that was when she was a teenager." Klaus just nodded.
"What are you planning?"
"Well, love, that's a surprise now, isn't it?" He walked away, leaving the girls confused.
"I thought he was supposed to like you!" Elena commented.
"So did I." Caroline frowned.

Klaus was in a store in Mystic Falls. He had his eye on a Brunette who was working there.
"Hi, Mabel Fell?" He asked walking over to her.
"Who's asking?"
"You're an old friend of Maria Lorde's right?"
"That's a name I haven't heard in a long time. Who are you?" She asked. T walked up from behind Klaus.
"Hi." She grinned. "I'm Tiana, people call me T. Klaus over here can be a bit blunt. Anyways, we're having a gathering for Maria, and we thought it'd-" Klaus cleared his throat and T corrected herself. "Klaus thought it'd be a good idea to invite a few friends of hers."
"That's so sweet." Mabel cooed, as T fought to hide a grin. "Are you her boyfriend?"
"He wishes." T said. "But he blew it. Anyways, are you up for it?"
"Yeah, sure. When?"
"Later tonight."
"Tonight?!" She widened her eyes.
"Hey, we only decided this a few hours ago." T told her. "What time do you get off?"
"In five minutes." She said.
"Do you know where we can get a hold of Lindsay Jackson?"
"Yeah, she should be at college right now."
"Could you take us to her, after your shift?"
"I don't really know you guys, and you know what they say. Stranger Danger and all that."
"We can call Jeremy if that'd help. He'll confirm that I'm her friend."
"Yeah, sure. Let me just finish up." She smiled at them and walked away.
"I hate you." T told Klaus. "But this is a nice thing you're doing for Maria."
"Well, we have your brother, Jeremy, Kara and Lydia there with her."
"I should be there too."
"She'll be fine. What she really needs is to be surrounded by friends. I was planning on inviting Elena until she told me Maria and she were still on the outs."
"You went to Elena? To not kill her but to try invite her to a party?"
"I don't know why you sound surprised. You know I'm willing to do almost anything for Maria."
"I did know that. Until you broke her heart."
"I'm not an idiot. I know she likes your brother. And I know he's in love with her. But I know she still loves me. And I am going to keep trying. You of all people should know I would do anything for her."
"I'm rooting for Mikey, you know."
"Of course you are. He is your brother. But that won't deter me." Klaus stood and smiled charmingly at Mabel who walked over. "Ready?"
"Yeah."

"So, Mabel," Klaus started as he drove. "How long has it been since you saw Maria?"
"About four years, give or take," she shrugged.
"Oh? Why so long since contact?"
"I don't know. We kind of just drifted apart, I guess. I mean after high school, Maria took a gap year, I got this job here and Lindsay went to college. We still talked but it was more strained I guess. Then afterwards we just kind of all got pretty far from each other. Then Maria left to go England and we just haven't talked." She shrugged.