48

Klaus complied to Maria's wishes. She walked out to his car and pointed out which twin was the good twin and which twin was the bad twin. She took out Chris and guided him to her house, while Klaus promised he'd deal with Cyrus personally. He drove away again as Maria dragged Chris into her house, only stopping to invite him in. She didn't have much of a choice. Laying him down on the couch, she instructed T and Lydia to take her daughter next door. She didn't trust Chris at all. Lindsay rushed into the living room, confused by all the noise, only to see her boyfriend on the couch.
"What happened?"
"Elena happened. She took both Cyrus and Chris."
"Where's Cyrus?"
"Klaus is dealing with him."
"Klaus? The original?!" It was then that Maria realised she hadn't exactly told Mabel and Lindsay of her history with Klaus.

"I forgot, I didn't tell you. There's a long history between Klaus and I, but he's leaving anyway. Klaus and I dated."
"You and Klaus."
"Yeah."
"What do you mean he's dealing with Cyrus? Is he going to kill him?"
"I really don't know. He could do anything from waiting for the vervain to get out of his system and compelling him to killing him. I don't care."
"Don't let him kill Cyrus. I mean, I hate the dude, but he's Chris's twin. And no matter what happens they'll always be brothers."
"I'm sorry, but I can't. Even if I wanted to, I had to plead Klaus to leave Chris alone. I'm sorry, but Cyrus deserves it, anyways."
"What happened to you?"
"Life happened, Lindsay. I'm not the same happy-go-lucky girl anymore. There's bad in this world. And I'm not going to go on like there isn't."
"You're her aren't you?" Chris said, sitting up. "My brother- you're the girl he ruined. He told me about you. He was obsessed with you. That night, he'd been following you."
"Wait tune out. What did he do? What do you mean he ruined her?" Lindsay asked her boyfriend.
"Maria's right. My brother deserves whatever happens to him."
"What?!" Lindsay was confused.
"Cyrus raped me. And that's how I got pregnant." I said without emotion. I didn't care to keep it a secret anymore. I felt more free. I don't know what it was. Maybe it was the fact that he'd be out of my life for good, maybe it was knowing that it really wasn't my fault- that he would've found some other night to do what he did, but I felt like a weight had been lifted off me.
"Oh my god, Maria!" Lindsay said standing up. "What?"
"Wait, you were pregnant with his baby?"
"Yeah. Gave birth to a beautiful baby girl."
"You kept her?"
"She was my baby. I couldn't get an abortion and kill her."
"That's what he wanted. That's why he came to Mystic Falls."
"I guess. Look, I'll leave the two of you together, I need to get check on Sara." I left the room and headed out the front door over to Lydia's. I used the key she'd given me and let myself in, before heading straight upstairs, to where I thought I'd find my daughter.

"Maria, are you okay?" T asked.
"Yeah. Lindsay's with Chris next door. I told her. I told them both. I just- I don't know. It came out. Chris figured it out, and I told Lindsay."
"Told them what?" Lydia asked.
"About Sara's origin. Cyrus, everything. I'm done keeping secrets. And I'm done with this town."
"Maria-"
"No. I'm leaving tomorrow."
"Then I guess I'm coming with you."
"What about your sister?"
"She has keys to this house if she wants to come back and I'll tell her."
"Thank you."
"What else are friends for?" Lydia smiled.
"I should tell everyone else." Maria said. "Do me a favour? Look after Sara. Maybe I should have one last chat with Elena. At least to say goodbye."
"Of course." Lydia smiled sympathetically. I pressed a kiss to Sara's forehead before heading out. I found Elena at the Salvatore house.
"Maria-" she started.
"Look, I'm done, Elena. I came back to town to see my sister and brother again. I thought maybe we could have a real life here. And when Sara's adoptive parents died, I brought her here because I believed she'd be safe. She's not. Especially not around you. I'm leaving, with my friends and with Sara and Jeremy. I can't let him stay in a town he's already died in twice. If he died one more time, who's to say he'll recover and come back."
"Maria, I'm sorry."
"Sorry's not going to cut it this time. This is my daughter I'm talking about. I have to think about her."
"Look, I'll stay away from that Cyrus guy. I know I've been a bitch, but I won't do it again."
"Elena, I'm sorry, but Cyrus was the last straw. You've changed, and I don't recognise this person you've become. The old Elena was a bitch, but at least I could trust her, and count on her."
"I'm sorry." Tears started streaming down her face.
"Me too." I sighed. "But I can't gamble Sara's life and future. I've tried, Elena, but I can't put Sara through any more."
"Are you talking about Sara or yourself?" Damon asked.
"I wouldn't expect you to understand Damon, but I actually know how to put someone else needs above mine."
"So you're just going to leave your sister?"
"If that's what it takes to keep my daughter safe."
"Let me tell you something, I know a thing or two about being selfish. And that's what you're doing right now. Hating your sibling? Never really works out."
"You're never going to be a mother, Damon. Or a father. Judge me all you want, but motherhood is doing whatever is necessary to keep your child safe. It's not about being petty and letting personal feelings affect how you raise your child. It's about doing the best you can for the little soul that started out in your belly. And this town isn't where I want to raise my baby. Not if I want her to be safe."
"She's right, Damon."
"So what, packing up to live with your evil boyfriend is keeping your daughter safe?"
"What?"
"Klaus."
"I'm not going with Klaus. Because that wouldn't be safe for Sara either. I want her to have a good life." Damon scoffed.
"You should do what you think is right for Sara. I get it, and taking Jeremy is the only way to keep him safe. But I'm going to prove to you, that I'm still me . Please let me prove it. Don't cut me out."
"One more chance. Stay away from the Mikaelsons. I don't want you to get hurt and they're just trouble."
"Definitely. Thanks, Mia." Elena suddenly surged forwards and gave me a hug. "Be safe?"
"You too." I turned to Damon. "If I hear that you or your brother got my sister killed or hurt- well, just remember, I am not someone you mess with."
"I'd like to see you try do anything." He scowled. I laughed at him.
"So naive." I walked out of the room and the boarding house. For the first time since I stepped foot in this town, I felt slightly peaceful. I didn't feel like I had a heavy weight on my shoulders. I had Sara, and Hanna, and Jeremy, and Lydia, and T and Michael, and Sara senior, and Kara. I had my friends. I had my family.