41

~~3rd person~~

"So what's this party for?" Caroline asked Hanna. The least she could do was snoop while her mother and Maria talked. She couldn't overhear them, because Maria was a witch who could do that privacy spell that Bonnie couldn't do.
"Maria." Hanna said.
"It's not her birthday, is it?"
"No, she's just been a little down lately, and Klaus wanted to cheer her up."
"Is he here?" Caroline looked around.
"No, he's not invited inside the house, and anyways, Maria still isn't talking to him." She said. Jeremy walked over.
"Hey, Caroline," he greeted. "This is Hanna- Maria's biological sister."
"Biological?" Caroline frowned. "I thought her entire family died."
"So did she," Jeremy said. "Hanna, this is one of Elena's best friends, Caroline."
"Elena, your sister?"
"Yes."
"And Caroline's the vampire?"
"Yeah."
"You know about us?"
"Yeah, Maria told me about almost everything."
"Almost?"
"Well, she won't say anything about what's got her upset."
"Because you are way too young." Jeremy said. "Hanna, you should go talk to Lindsay and Mabel. They wanted to know more about you."
"Okay, I'm gone."
"Mabel Fell and Lindsay Jackson?" Caroline questioned.
"Yeah. You know them?"
"That's why he wanted to know." She muttered. "Klaus came by the house the other day. He was being weird. He asked Elena if she and Maria could go five minutes without a screaming match, but Elena said Maria hated her."
"That's not true. Maria doesn't hate Elena. She just disapproves of her actions and dislikes her personality change."
"What personality change?"
"Elena's totally different, Caroline. The old Elena wouldn't betray her sister."
"Elena didn't betray her."
"Elena tried to give up Maria's magic to Esther in order to kill the whole original family. And then she told Maria, that it was her fault Esther even threatened Sara."
"Who's Sara?"
"Maria's daughter?" Jeremy said, in a 'duh' tone.
"Oh, Maria has a daughter?"
"Elena didn't tell you? I mean, she was only too happy to tell the Salvatores."
"That's not fair Jeremy. Ever since Maria got here, all you've done is judge Elena. Elena's new at all this too, and she might be your older sister, but she's only two years older than you. Cut her some slack."
"Seriously? Blaming Maria? Caroline, I love both of my sisters, and honestly Maria has never urged me to dislike Elena. I mean, she know I love Elena, and honestly, she's always telling me its okay, that it's totally fine."
"She shouldn't have to tell you."
"Yeah, exactly. She shouldn't have to. She doesn't have to. But she goes out of her way to make sure I know that I'd never have to choose between them. That I am free to do whatever, because they are both my sisters."
"What about her relationship to Klaus?"
"The guy killed aunt Jenna after they dated. And she hasn't forgiven him. She knows what he did is wrong and she understands that. She's not dating him, and she's not manipulating him either. Not like you and Elena?"
"Me and Elena?"
"Elena's got Damon wrapped around her finger. And you, more often than not, are used to distract Klaus, appeal to his better side when everyone's trying to kill him."
"I-"
"Look, I'm just saying, no matter what she feels for him, she couldn't be with Klaus. Not while aunt Jenna is dead. And she makes sure Klaus knows there's no hope for them. So what he does in an effort to win her back- that's nothing to do with her. She's not encouraging him or leading him on. So you're point about her relationship with Klaus is invalid."
"He threw her a party and you're saying she's not leading him on? If he knew there wasn't hope, he'd have killed Elena instead of asking her about her relationship to her sister, or about her sister's friends."
"Has it ever occured to you that he loves her, and that despite her continual refusals to his advances, he doesn't want to give up hope? That maybe she doesn't have to keep getting his attention to turn him down."
"Klaus doesn't love. This is the same guy who's daggered all of his siblings."
"He's different with her. I've seen it."
"Since when are you pro-Klaus. He tried to kill you. He sent his brother to spy on you."
"You know he apologised."
"And that makes everything better?"
"No, but it shows he cares about her. He loves her, and I've never seen love that strong. Not since my parents. And if Maria did give him another chance, I'd encourage her, because I care about her happiness."
"You've never felt that way about Stefan or Damon."
"Damon's just a dick. When Klaus tries, he tries with everyone Maria loves. Damon, knowing that Uncle John was Elena's uncle, killed him. Not knowing that he'd come back. Did you forget about that? I'm not excusing Klaus, god knows I hate him. But I'm just saying, he cares about my sister and once upon a time he made her happy. That counts for a tiny, little something." Jeremy finished. He looked behind him and saw Maria walking down the stairs. "Now, if you'll excuse, I'm going to go over to my niece."
"What's going on?" Caroline demanded as she walked over to her mom and Maria. Liz looked over at Maria who shook her head, slightly. "I can see that look you're giving each other."
"Caroline, I like you, but honestly, it's absolutely none of your business." Maria said. "Also, please watch your back, and tell Elena and her boy toys to watch hers too. There's a psychopath on the loose."
"A psychopath?"
"Yeah."
"And you still think it's still none of our business?"
"Now you're getting it." Maria smiled. "You're welcome to stay for the rest of the party."
The doorbell rang and Maria went to go open the door. Her breath caught in her throat as she saw who it was. "Cyrus."