6

Elena's blood ended up being the whole solution to the problem. So of course, Klaus kidnapped her. What sane person wouldn't? The plus side was that it meant Tyler was alive... ish. He was dead technically, but alive. He was walking and talking and breathing which counted for something. Maria paced the living room floor as she waited for some sort of clarification that Elena was alright. But no matter how long she stared at her phone, Damon didn't call. Getting fed up she went to Jeremy's room where she found her bag full of her witchy objects and got out her map. She got some of Elena's hair from the brush in the bathroom and some salt and started a tracking spell.
"Phesmatos tribum. Nas ex viras. Sequitas sanguinem." She chanted over and over. The salt formed a path to the Salvatore house. Realising her sister was probably alright and over there, she headed to them to see for herself.

"Where were you, Damon?" Maria heard Elena say. She just walked right into the house which meant Damon was probably too distracted to realise. She tiptoed not wanting to make unnecessary noise.
"I shouldn't have left. I promise you...I will never leave you again."
"Just a simple call to tell me Elena's fine would have helped."
"Maria." Elena gasped. She enveloped her sister in a hug, whilst Damon looked annoyed at the interruption. "I was so worried."
"Clearly." Maria rolled her eyes. "But you were the one who was kidnapped. And it's not like I've never dealt with stupid vampires before. Trust me, I'm pretty sure I knew about them before you did."
"When did you first encounter one?"
"I know a vampire saved you in that crash. And there was this one a few years before who murdered Xander."
"Oh my god." Elena hugged her sister again. "Why didn't you wear vervain when you were dating Klaus? You were dating him right?"
"I did ingest vervain, and yes I was dating him, but I eventually ran out. I was going to get more the next day, but Klaus compelled me before I got the chance."
"Well, isn't this cosy?" Stefan's voice cut in.
"What are you doing here brother?"
" Last I checked, I live here. Klaus is gone, but he's asked me to keep watch on you until he returns. From now on, you're under my protection." He looked at Elena and turned his sight to Maria. "That and wondering who Elena's 'frenemy' is."
"Frenemy?" Damon asked. He hadn't been at the school or filled in by Klaus as Stefan had.
"Yeah, I met her ages ago, and we've never gotten along properly. Petty fights and all. But this kind of trumps all that. That's all they know. Hmm should I tell my full history and stuff to a guy who wants to murder and needs Elena's blood so that people can suck on it and his little sidekick who right now will do anything to aid his master."
"What's to stop me from tearing your throat out?" Stefan asked.
"Well last I checked a friend of mine put a protection spell on me, so if you touch me you'll be in excruciating pain. Man, I love her." Maria smiled. "Elena, do you have that perfume I got you?"
"Weirdly enough yes. It's in my bag." Elena said walking over to get it. She tentatively handed it to Maria.
"Stefan, you should get used to this smell, since Elena will wear it a lot." Maria sprayed it in his face. Stefan started choking and retching, his face burning. "Or not, I mean I doubt she'd want to harm Damon."
"What is that?" Damon asked scrunching his nose. He was as far away from Stefan as he could get.
"A vampire pepper spray. It has vervain. My friend told me it was for the smell, but its obviously not.It was supposed to be protection against vampires, until her friends all turned out to be one."
"I'm scared of you now. Elena, she scares me."
"Stop being a baby. If I really wanted to hurt you, you'd be hurt. I think I'll call over a friend from London."
"Where will she stay?"
"We'll find a place together."
"Who's your friend?" Stefan asked as something finally interested him.
"You don't know her. Although, I'm pretty sure you met her ancestor."
"Who's her ancestor?"
"You'll find out when she comes." Stefan rolled his eyes and walked out of the room.
"Come on, Damon. Take me home. Maria's staying over for a while."
"Right." Damon said, going along with the girls, knowing Stefan might overhear.
"And we can gossip and stuff." Elena joked.
"You can tell me if Damon's any good in bed." Maria smirked at Elena's immediate frown.
"I'm offended you'd think I'm good. I'm amazing in bed."
"Hmm, I don't know. Guys usually talk a big game for nothing."
"Does she have to stay? She has weapons against vampires, a witch on her side- a witch who supplied her with the weapons. And she's mean." Damon pouted as they walked out to his car.
"Do you want to be pepper-sprayed with vervain and a spell that was used to mix it?" Maria raised a brow.
"Which spell?" He asked.
"Well I can't be going around telling you all of her secrets." The car came to life as Damon turned it on.
"Elena what's that old rickety house in the woods?" Maria asked suddenly, knowing Elena would probably have answers.
"Um that's probably the site where a hundred witches were massacred. They haunt the place and once gave Bonnie their power. Bonnie also had them help bring Jeremy back to life."
"Back up. Jeremy died?"
"Yeah, he did." Elena said, upset that she hadn't been able to look after their little brother properly. "Actually Damon killed him the first time, but he was brought to life by a ring."
"You killed Jeremy?" It didn't matter that Jeremy was alive.
"Oh crap." Elena swore. "Maybe I shouldn't have mentioned that."
"He killed Jeremy and you just forgave him? So would you forgive Klaus for killing Jenna?"
"No."
"So how is this any different?"
"Because Jeremy is still alive!"
"What if he wasn't, Elena? You rag on me for not being there for him, but you, his blood relation, are in a relationship with the man who murdered him. That's not okay, Elena. You might as well just forgive Klaus."
"Well Jeremy is still alive and Damon's changing."
"I'm going to start looking for a place to stay. Jeremy's coming. I don't feel safe knowing he could be killed the next time your boyfriend has a temper tantrum."
"Firstly, Damon's not my boyfriend. I'm dating Stefan."
"He's your ex. I doubt he feels anything for you right now seeing as, you know, he doesn't feel."
"Secondly Damon won't kill him again."
"Again!" Maria threw her hands in the air. "He shouldn't have killed him in the first place. Yeah you have a special place in Damon's heart or whatever but Jeremy will not be killed again because you scolded Damon for doing it the first time. Stop the car Damon. I'm walking."
"It's fine."
"If you don't stop the car, I'll hurt you." Maria threatened. Damon reluctantly stopped the car. Maria threw the perfume bottle back at Elena. "Keep it."
"Maria-" Elena started.
"No, Elena. I can't look at you right now. You are such a little hypocrite."
"Says you. I tried my best to protect Jeremy but I'm only one person in the world of vampires and witches."
"So you just befriend the people who've killed your little brother." Maria stared at her sister. "Goodbye."