36

~~Maria~~
"Hey Liz," I smiled. I'd gone down to the station to go check on her. And to tell her that she could stop searching.
"Hey, Maria. How are you? Is something wrong?"
"I'm fine, just came to check up on you." I said. "Good thing, too. You don't look so good."
"I'm fine. I got some sleep last night." She shrugged.
"Liz..." I raised a brow.
"You can ask Caroline." She promised. "Speaking of, she's been snooping around- I think maybe Elena put her up to it."
"Why would Elena do that?"
"I bumped into her the other day. I thought she knew about it, and I let it slip that I was working on your case."
"Liz!" I said.
"All she knows is that there's a case, that has something to do with you, and is big." I groaned.
"It was an honest mistake, but don't worry. He's not a threat anymo-" I broke off as I saw something.
"What is it?" She asked, looking behind her.
"It's him." I said. I got out my phone and dialled Klaus.
"Maria. I have something to tell you." He said as soon as he picked up.
"You lost him."
"Technically, Rebekah lost him." He said. "Are you okay?"
"He's here." I looked back up, but he was gone. I swivelled around and tried to look for him. "He was here."
"Where are you? I'll be right there." He promised.
"Police station." I told him and hung up.
"What's going on?"
"When I was in England, I was in no condition to raise a baby, so I put Sara up for adoption. Her adoptive parents, Faith and Leo, they were amazing. I was always welcome, they were good to Sara. I came back to Mystic Falls to see my family, but the whole Klaus mess was here and then he told me, someone killede Faith and Leo and sent Faith's heart to my house. I went straight back to England and it was true. That's when I brought Sara back here. But Klaus found out who murdered them. Liz, it was him." I told her. Her eyes widened. "He's a vampire now."
"Maria, oh my god. When did you find out?"
"Earlier today. I came here to tell you to stop. He's not human, anymore, there's only so much you can do to him as sheriff. Klaus had him, but he got away."
"What's Klaus's involvement in all this?"
"He's my ex boyfriend. Before Mystic Falls, I knew him in England." Her jaw dropped.
"You?" She looked disgusted. "And him?"
"I loved him. He wasn't the Klaus you know and hate." I sighed. "He was just Nick."
"Just Nick?" She asked. "You and I need to sit down and have a long chat about your England life. Dating a vampire- what, next you'll tell me you're a werewolf like Tyler."
"More like a witch, like Bonnie." I grinned. I'd been close to Liz, she was always so nice and welcoming. She was the first person I'd trusted after my parents' death. My smile dropped as I caught sight of him again. I took an involuntary step back and Liz frowned. She turned around, but by the time she did he was gone.
"Come with me." She said. "I'll be by your side the whole time."
"Maria!" Klaus called.
"Come home with me?" I asked her. "I need to be somewhere he can't get in." She nodded as Klaus walked up to us. He took a deep breath.
"Where is he?"
"I don't know." I shook my head. "He's somewhere, but he keeps disappearing."
"Let's get you home." He put an arm around me. I stiffened before relaxing. He wasn't acting like Klaus. Not the Klaus I met when I came back to Mystic Falls. He let go of me after a second, keeping a hand on my back. "Sorry, habit."
"It's okay." I said, and linked arms with the sheriff. "Liz is coming too."
"Mom?" Caroline said walking up to us. I liked Caroline, I did, but I really didn't want more drama. Her eyes centered on Klaus's arm on me. "What's going on?"
"Nothing much," Liz shrugged. "Maria was just filling me in on her life back in England. Apparently she and Klaus have a history."
"Yeah, they dated." Caroline dismissed.
"What is it, Caroline?"
"What's going on with you?" Caroline asked. "You're acting really... I don't know. Frantic, scary. You're so immersed in some case. We were supposed to get lunch. Remember?"
"Right, I forgot." Liz threw her head back. "Can we do that tomorrow?"
"It's okay, Liz." I said. "Be with your daughter, you know you want to. I'm fine."
"Are you sure?" She asked, a concerned look on her face. I nodded and shooed her.
"Hey, you can scold me all you like tomorrow about my poor choice in men," I gave her a smile. "I'll take the files and burn them."
"Don't burn them just yet. Just keep them somewhere safe." She said. I nodded. I looked around before muttering a quick spell, sending them away. "Wait, where did they go?"
"Told you I was a witch," I waved at her. "Go, you two have fun."
"Okay," She said reluctantly.
"Poor choice in men, huh?" Klaus said as he led me to his car.
"Well, you did end up murdering people I care about." I shrugged. "Klaus, my sister is at home, Hanna. If I invite you in, I'm trusting you not to kill her."
"I won't. I promise. You should know I was going to surprise you with a party, earlier, but with everything going on, I don't think people jumping out at you is what you need. I had Rebekah looking in on him. And I went to find some people that I hoped would make your day brighter." I frowned.
"Who?"
"That's going to be a surprise." He told me.
"You planned a party to cheer me up?"
"Yeah. I was going to invite Elena, but even she admitted you guys weren't on the best of terms, and this is supposed to be a relaxing evening."
"Stop." I said. "Stop being so Nick like. I can't hate you with you acting like this and I have to hate you. You killed people I loved. Before, I could handle knowing you'd killed because that was your past. You had changed, and you'd never been anything but good to me and Sara. But then you broke up with me, you left me, to go kill people. And I can't love you knowing that. Knowing that it was my family you left to go kill. Regardless of whether they were my family, you left me to go kill other people."
"Maria-"
"I can't love you. I can't. But I do and I hate myself for it, because I shouldn't."
"No, you're right. I'm a monster."
"No, you're not." I sighed. "There are worse people in the world. I can't forgive and forget, because I'm never going to see my aunt again. You've got a bit of good in you, Nick. Don't let go of it. Because there's still hope for you. You're not a monster, you're damaged. I thought maybe I'd be enough, and maybe I would have been. But the timing wasn't right. Maybe if we'd met later in life, we might have worked out."
"I'm sorry. I would do anything to stop myself from killing Jenna."
"But no matter how much I wish it, it's not enough." I said softly. The car came to a stop. "I hope you find someone, and I hope you meet her when you're ready." I got out of the car and walked over to Lydia's leaving him behind.