2

Trudging to the orphanage that the witches had directed her to, Maria was tired. She was tired of her emotions being pulled back and forth. Tired of losing people, of the lies. She knew that Bonnie was a witch, and that Caroline and that Salvatore boy were vampires, but what exactly was happening in Mystic falls? She suspected Jeremy knew, and knew for sure that Elena did.
"Little Orphanage, how may I help you?" The assistant asked.
"Hi, I'm looking for a girl, she's 13 years old, came here when she was one?"
"I'm sorry, I'm going to have to ask why you're looking for her, if she's here."
"12 years ago, my mother, my sister and my twin and I were in an accident. I was the only one who survived, but then i found out my sister didn't die, and she was brought here?"
"I'm going to need some proof. And even then, unless you're adopting her, I can only plan a few visiting sessions, probably."
"If this really is my baby sister, I'm definitely gaining custody of her. She has birthmark in the shape of a cloud behind her left ear."
"Well, there is one girl who matches that description. Her name is Hanna. She had a necklace that had that written on it."
"Sounds about right. My mother had matching necklaces only with our names written on it for me, Hanna and her."
"I'm going to need a DNA test to be sure, then you'll have to deal with the legalities, which could take a while."
"Of course. I'm glad you're taking necessary precautions to protect her." Maria plucked a hair from her scalp. "Will this do?"
"Um, sure." The assistant said, reluctantly taking the hair. She wasn't expecting it. She wrapped in tissue and left it on her desk. "I'm not sure how long it'll take, but we'll send you a letter."

When Maria got back home that night, she was surprised to see one of the guys from the day before on the couch. She hadn't been home since the day before. "Um, hi. Alfred right? No, Alan?"
"Alaric."
"Oh. Yeah, I wouldn't have guessed that one." Elena walked down.
"Alaric's sort of our guardian."
"You're 18."
"He was Jenna's boyfriend and is a close family friend. The closest thing Jeremy and I have had to a father figure since dad."
"Right, well either way Alaric, I'm glad you've been taking care of them."
"Of course. Technically I'm like Elena's step-dad."
"What?"
"You're not the only one who's adopted now. So am I, Ric's dead wife and uncle John were my biological parents."
"Were?"
"Uncle John also died around the same time as aunt Jenna."
"Another death you've neglected to tell me about. Who else?"
"Bonnie's grams, Vicki Donovan- Matt's sister. The mayor, Mr tanner the history teacher. See you being gone didn't stop the tragedy in this town."
"Elena, stop being so harsh. In fact we should've all left this crazy town when we had the chance. It's not her fault, so leave her alone." Jeremy spoke up. Maria hadn't realised he had snuck into the room.
"It's not her fault but she could've been there for us. Did you know Jeremy dated Vicki before she died? Or that he had another girlfriend who also ended up dead?" Maria looked over at her brother.
"She's right. I should have been there for you. I'm sorry, little bro."
"It's fine. I mean, I called when I needed advice about girls and stuff I needed you for. Besides, you did your best."
"I know, but I should have come back earlier."
"Or not at all." Elena spat.
"Shut up Elena, Maria is welcome anytime." Jeremy stood up for his oldest sister. Truth be told, he was getting annoyed at Elena. "Maria's been there when it matters. There was a reason I didn't tell her about Vicki and Anna dying. She's already suffered so much loss in this town, and I knew she would drop everything to help me out so I didn't tell her. She needed to move on. But I'm not the one who hid Aunt Jenna and Uncle John's deaths from her. You said you told her."
"Well I'm not an expert, but I do know I don't have a psychic link to you Elena which means we cannot talk telepathically, which means you have to get on the phone and call to let me know." Maria said. "Come on Jeremy. I've got stuff I need to tell you."

Jeremy and Maria walked upstairs. Maria quickly grabbed one of her suitcases from her room. "What I'm about to show and tell you can not find it's way to Elena's ears yet. I'm trusting you, little brother, with the other reason I left Mystic Falls."
"Elena will not find out from me. I won't tell anyone, I promise."
"Good." Maria told him. She walked to the window and shut the curtains before opening her suitcase. She showed him her magical objects and stuff.
"You-" He started, but Maria shushed him. She didn't know whether Elena was trying to eavesdrop. She got out some sage for a privacy spell. After a few more minutes of complete silence, she let the sage keep burning.
"I'm a witch."
"How?"
"I'm adopted. I knew ever since I was little, since I grew up with a witch family. I stopped using magic after my parents and Ethan's death." Ethan was Maria's twin brother. "This necklace isn't just some keepsake. It's supposed to dampen my magic so I don't use it accidentally. When mom and dad died, I lost control. Something happened. I couldn't keep my emotions in check. The necklace couldn't hold it in anymore and something bad could have happened. Maybe even to you. That's why I left."
"But you're a witch." Jeremy couldn't believe it.
"Yes brother. Like Bonnie and all."
"You know about Bonnie?" He was shocked.
"Give me credit, little brother, of course I can sense when there's another witch around."
"So why doesn't she know you're one too?"
"She's still pretty new at this stuff. She needs physical contact. I was born with my powers and into a witch family. I knew about it ever since I was born."
"You should know there are vampires around. Some around here are good."
"Wait can I ask you something?" Jeremy nodded. "Where's Klaus?"
"You know him?"
"Only that he killed aunt Jenna. I know I can't kill him, but I still want to mess him up pretty bad."
"No. I don't want you anywhere near him. He'll ruin you. He's one of the original vampires. First ever ones, which means he's practically indestructible. We haven't found a way to kill him yet. We almost had him, last summer."
"So a normal stake to the heart can't kill him?"
"No. Also, add to that he's a werewolf too so he's a hybrid. Both at once."
"Fine. I won't seek him out. There's something else. My little sister didn't die."
"What?"
"Hanna, my baby sister. I thought she died in the plane with my parents and my uncle, but it turns out she was rescued and then brought to an orphanage not far from here."
"Oh my god. That's great! When did you find out?"
"Yesterday. And I went over today."
"Your little sister is alive. That sounds like a victory. We should be at the grill dancing and celebrating."
"Wait." She got out a silver chain necklace with a ring in the middle. "I got you this. It charmed so the only person who can take it off is you. I know you won't always wear it, but if you're ever going to fight vampires or prank them, it should shock them. Their hand or wherever you touch them will be in excruciating pain for a minute before it goes away."
"Awesome. Wish Elena gave me gifts this awesome. When she found out about vampires, she gave me a bracelet filled with vervain." He chuckled. Maria started waving the sage around them more.
"Well, I am and have always been your favourite sister. I also got you some new trainers and I want to give you this watch. It was my dad's, and it was supposed to go to the oldest son. But we're fresh out of boys in the Lorde family, and he wouldn't mind you having it. I wasn't going to come back empty handed!"
"Thanks Mia." Jeremy said, genuinely grateful.