Chapter 23 - Edited Once

Jaxon

After Owen went to sleep, Ariel and I decided to watch an action movie. We fell into a comfortable silence as it began until she broke it. "Um, Jaxon..." She trailed off, and I turned to look at her.

"Yeah?" I said, and she shifted in her seat to face me. Oh boy, she looks serious. She is rarely serious.

"Tell me, what did you mean by a rough past, if that's okay with you," she asked this random question that surprised me. She deserves an explanation because I'm the one who brought it up.

I nodded and started telling her my painful memories from ten years ago. "At that time, I was nine years old, a troublemaker, and I loved to prank my parents a lot. I was an only child, so I was a spoiled brat who got everything he wanted and wished for, until one fateful night in the cold winter," I stopped to sit properly in front of Ariel, so we were facing each other. She is beautiful... Snap out of it, Jaxon!

"What happened?" she whispered, then put her small hand on my thigh, leaving a cozy feeling. Her touch sent sparks through my whole body, and I could not imagine a life without her.

I like her company, and I think... I love her.

I warped my hands around her waist and pulled her into my lap. Her back was on my chest. Why did I do that? Well, she didn't say no, so it's okay.

"Continue," she urged, and I rested my head on the couch.

I took a deep breath and closed my eyes. "It was a normal day, mom, dad, and I sat around the fireplace watching movies and having fun, and I was telling them about my day in school. After a while, mom wanted to make popcorn and waffles, so she went to the kitchen. Dad and I continued watching the movie, but mom was gone for more than fifteen minutes, and then we heard a loud explosion..." I stopped for a second and then opened my eyes because the memories of that night rushed back.

"The fire was all over the place just in seconds. I was so scared and froze in my place. I saw my dad run to me, carry me out of the house like a complete wreck, and throw me into the pool. I knew how to swim, so that was not the problem, but the major problem was that my dad got back to the house to save mom but... b-but he never got out of there... neither did my mom." Ariel gasped, and I ran my hand through her hair.

"After being in the cold water for like half an hour or so, I felt numb. I looked around and saw a crowd around the house, firefighters trying to extinguish the fire. Some strangers got me out of the water and warped me in blankets. I was not sure what was happening at that moment, but I was sure that they were gone. My parents never came out of the house. They didn't find their bodies. All that's left were bones and aches," I explained with sorrow and bitter feelings dominating my thoughts.

I felt sick just recalling the memories, but then I felt a hand on my right cheek. I did not realize that I was crying until Ariel wiped a tear from the side of my face.

She was facing me with her dazzling calming blue eyes. "Please don't cry. I hate seeing you cry. I know it's tough... but I need to ask another question," she said softly, making me lean in her touch.

"Ask anything," I replied, then closed my eyes, enjoying her warmth.

"After that, what did you do? Where did you go?" she asked, and I opened my eyes to face her again.

"Well, after that night, I was taken by an orphanage because I didn't have any relatives. I lived there for seven years, it was like hell to me without my only family, but I managed to live with the idea that they were gone and won't come back. So when I turned 16, I started writing and selling short books and raised enough money to rent an apartment by myself. A year later, I wrote my best-selling novel, which went viral and helped me greatly. I bought myself a house and that car." I stopped for a minute, took a deep breath, then continued.

"Noah, Owen, and Aaron were all along supporting me. They even offered me money, but I refused because taking money from others didn't feel right. It felt like I was taking their efforts, so I depended on myself until this very day," I explained and sighed.

I looked at Ariel; she was crying and had a heart-rending look on her face. "Why are you crying?" I wiped away her tears with my thumbs.

"B-because... you s-suffered frequently, and I was complaining about you kidnapping me. I'm sorry." She sobbed, and my jaw dropped. What the hell is she saying? Is she crazy?

"Ariel! You have every right to complain. My suffering was in the past. Now, you are suffering because of us and our boss. We have no idea why he ordered to kidnap you, though." I pointed out, but she did not stop crying. What should I do? What should I do? Think Jaxon, think.

"I'm sorry, I'm so sorry," she whispered, so I hugged her tightly and breathed in her scent.

"Ariel, you are always laughing and smiling. Tears don't suit your beautiful face. Please smile for me, angel, please!" I begged, then I kissed her forehead.

Seems like it worked.

She wiped her last tears and sighed. "Okay, but since you told me about your past, it's only fair to tell you about mine," she said, and I raised my eyebrows in confusion.

What about her past?

••••••√√√••••••√√√•••••••√√√•••••••√√√••••••

Hey, hey,hey

I hope you liked this chapter :)

Jaxon had it rough :( right?

I hope you vote and comment ♕

Welcome to hell boys is ranking #9 in humor, it's all thanks to you :)