2. Re-Living A Constant Nightmare

Autumn's P.O.V

"I was at a party." I shuddered. " I was... with the boy of my dreams. Every time that I was near him, my body would go numb and, and, and I'd start shaking, and have butterflies. Whenever we would be close, I could feel fireworks going off in my heart. I just, I wanted to be next to him..." A tear fell down my cheek. I sighed. "We climbed up on the roof, while everyone was inside, partying. We were so close, and he..." My eyes filled with tears again. "He was going to be my first kiss." I looked down, and powerlessly punched the dirt I sat in.

"But it was you, just now..". Avoiding that topic, I continued. "Before we left I went to the bathroom to freshen up, because I was so nervous being finally alone with him... I knew that being in his car alone would give me the chance to sneak in a kiss but, once I walked out of the bathroom, I saw him. Joey... He was a total jock and a complete prick. I knew he was intoxicated..." I squeezed Kevin's hand at the thought of Joey. "He grabbed my wrist and slammed me against the wall. I woke up in his basement, covered in bruises and scratches..."

I quivered. "I heard him and his friends laughing upstairs." My voice squeaked as I suddenly became a small ball, crying into my knees. "I grabbed a shirt I found on the table and climbed out the window. I ran home. A mile, in the dark. I ran..." Emotions flooded from my mind. "I told my mom, right as I got home. My mom filed a report, but they never pressed charges. They didn't have evidence." I opened my eyes, realizing that I was almost crying in Kevin's lap, cuddled in his arms.

I backed up, sitting about an inch away from him. "It was summer, and by that time, we had moved out, and I never even talked to Jason after that night." Not once.... I thought. I looked up at him. His face blown away. He looked pained. ...I just told Kevin my darkest secret. I stared, noticing tears in his eyes. "That's why you are so cautious?" He said, softly. "I'm so sorry." His voice breaking. "I shouldn't have been so sexual towards you..." He looked away. I smiled through my tears. "I trust you." I whispered, looking up at his big brown eyes. Our eye contact broke the hesitancy I had, his eyes were so genuine as he furrowed his eyebrows in a caring manor. We hugged, tightly. Then it hit me- he wont hurt me. I was scared but... I never wanted to let go.

"I have a story too." He said, hesitantly. We pulled away. He shifted a bit, and took a few seconds as the silence filled into the space between our faces. "It was a cold night.. I was out jogging, getting ready for the upcoming football game... When I heard it. Screaming." His muscles tightened. "I saw a man towering over a young girl." His voice cracked. "He had a gun." He whispered. "I-" I looked at him. I could tell he was holding back his regret as he burrowed his face into my neck. "I heard her scream at me, but I was a damn selfish ass. She was calling for me. She.... saw me. She asked me to help but I was just a pussy." He said, muffled by my sleeve. I didn't have my phone on me, and I ran home, immediately calling the cops but... it was too damn late."

He pulled his head away from my neck and looked at his lap. Tears slid down his cheeks. "They found her body in the creek two doors down from my house." He gulped. "I can't believe that I could have saved someone that night..." He threw his head in his hands. I scooted away, in disbelief of his genuineness, and the way his anger fueled me.

"Kevin..." I whispered. The sun had gone down, and I was ready to go home. I grabbed him, pulling him up into a hug. We stood for about 10 minutes, holding one another, the sound of crickets, and the faint sound of the busy streets and cars below.