36. Jason Again.

I cried. "What happened that night?"

I looked over at him, his eyebrows scrunching his forehead, the empathy swirling in my blurry vision.

"We were adopted out together. I made a pledge to protect you... I promised I wouldn't lose you... But we separated. And then a few weeks before the dance I heard your voice. Your name was Autumn, but I knew it was you. Because I remember seeing those eyes change color..." He chuckled a little. "I watched you for the next few weeks... And Jason. At school he was so quiet. He had so many secrets.. And I overheard him talking about murdering you at the dance... out back in the trees." He looked at me, waiting for a reaction, but I was stunned. It was crazy how much sense it made to me, and over the fact that JOEY was the man I was beliving. "....Yeah I got drunk that night. But I needed to get you out of there and I knew you wouldn't cooperate. I knocked you out. Jason was on the roof for some reason too. He called my name, and he saw me carrying you to my car. I was about to put you in when I turned around to see him with a pistol. Apparently there was a latter... He told me to give you to him. He shot me in the knee. And took you. I dragged myself but lost him. He put you in his car and drove off. I was going to call the cops but I left my phone somewhere at the dance. So I climbed in my car and drove home. Le, I wasn't supposed to be at that party. My stepdad would kill me... I snuck in the back, down to the basement. And I heard a knock on my basement window. And I saw you, limp in front of my little basement window. So I dragged you in. I put you on my couch in a blanket and played a shirt on the arm of the couch. God it was so surreal. I failed. I called 911 and went to the bathroom and when I came out you were gone..." I looked at his eyes as they gained a greenish brown tint, and they became glassy. "You wouldn't speak to me. They had no lead because Jason disappeared, and they didn't take anyone to court because it was a lost case. He didn't show up at school. Neither did you. It was my fault I knocked you out... It was all my fault. Le, Jason is a gang leader. If you are getting texts, it's them."

It all made too much sense. It was all too overwhelming.

...

...

...

...

I opened my eyes, to stare up at the grey ceiling with a familiar smell filling the air. Thomas. The carpet itched against my arm as I turned to see Thomas hidden in a jumble of blankets on the floor by me. I shifted back to my side and looked towards the door.

A coffee cup from the caffe.

I sat up and went over to it to see a little note attached to the bow.

look inside.

I opened it up to see a little scroll and a gift card to the shop.

contact me. I have loads more stories, let's talk over coffee. I know it's hard to trust in this world, but I have no reason to lie. I'm not a good person to rely on, but I do hold lots of information. thank you. ~Joey

His number was written on the bottom of the cup.

What the hell happened last night.