35. Assassins Tale

He was a stern, tall man. He was very handsome and well built, with the posture and aura of a movie's typical bad guy.

Afraid of nothing. I aspired to that.

In minutes we were at my house. And then we locked eyes.

Fear. That same fear. That same fear in Kevin's eyes, Jason's. Now Joey. It's my fault.

"I don't know if it's safe here Le."

"Don't call me that."

"Sorry." He looked back at my face and I could see the tears forming in his eyes. "Okay. Um how about we go to that coffee shop down the street? There are more people there and I just- *ahem*" He looked at the gun in my hand an sighed.

The nonchalant vibe he carried now became nervous wreck.

"I guess." I gripped the gun tight, and in this moment, I'm not sure why I believed him.

The street looked slightly filled with the parked cars, and I was kind of shocked.We walked into the coffee shop and people were still there. Oh wait- they had just come. It was 5 in the morning.

We went to a table and we sat down.

"I just don't know if this is a safe place. I can't let them hear me." He leaned over to me.

A waiter came by. "Nothing yet." He said soft but stern. She looked shocked and walked off.

He pulled out a little sketchbook from his pocket and a pen. He wrote in small letters.

He took a breath and began. I don't know where to start. I feel like this stuff would be easier said, than written. You know how you were adopted. I know that. But the story behind that, you don't. Yeah, your life is about to become one of those typical action stories. But this one runs deeper.

He flipped the paper and I read his handwriting slowly and took in every word.

I went to his side of the booth and sat next to him.

"Exuse me? How do you know this stuff?"

He leaned in closer. His voice gruff against my skin. "Has anyone ever told you your eyes change color?"

I stood, re-collecting all of the times I avoided how abnormal that is.

"Yes."

"Mine do too." He pulled away, and they were brown with a red tint. Passion.

He leaned back in, just as close as before. "That's why we were adopted out. Even if we were the best manipulators, if we could lie, our eyes would always tell the truth. Nobody can be an assassin and get what they need by telling the truth."

I didn't know what to say.

"You also have personality glitches, right? Yeah, we are the runts."

He is the same? IM NOT ALONE?!

I let go and cried. I bawled. I exploded.

The man who I feared the most just became my hope. I looked into his eyes and now they seemed greener.

"I want to comfort you but I can't." He said sternly. "I won't."