34.Number One

Then next few minutes were quiet, the sun had set, and soon enough, Kevin's father would be asking questions.

"Can you walk?" I sighed as I climbed out of bed. I walked over to his side.

He adjusted and pulled himself up with a groan. I was scared but I grabbed his hand and he stood up slowly with a loud groan that pounded in my head.

I quickly came to his aid with support to his every step, every movement I was there. We made our way to my mother's car, and I drive him back home. I walked in with him to check in with his father- I mean, this is a secret you couldn't hide from a parent.

I walked him in and his father was laying on the couch with a beer. He seemed meznerized until the screen door shut, and his head zipped to the right.

"Why is she here? Um no offense...."

"None taken." I sighed.

Kevin lifted his shirt to show the dried blood left on his skin and the bullet hole made.

"What in the holy hell happened?!"

I walked him over to the couch.

"I got shot dad. But we didn't have our phones on us so they kinda took it into their hands." His dad examined it. "They?" "Autumn and her brother." "Fishing wire?" "That's all that they had with them while we were out."

"Who in the fuck shot you and why?"

"I dont know dad we were by the woods down the street, and the gunshot was so quiet..."

I listened the their exchange and finally pitched in. "This happened like two hours ago, I was freaking out and we drove to my house. I should have called 911 when we got home but I wanted to be his little superhero kind of....  He fell asleep and I made him some soup... I'm sorry Mr.Hammond... This was really serious and I messed up."

"Where is the bullet, still in him?"

Me and Kevin looked at each other. "At my house I think...." I felt anxious. How can we hide this now? I though the bullet was in the upstairs bathroom, but thinking about it I wasn't sure.

"This isn't adding up at all Autumn go home, Thank you, goodnight." He died 911 and I listened to his voice fade as I walked outside to my car. The drive home was the scariest two blocks I ever drove. The roads were dark and it suddenly hit me that I felt threatened with my own life. I felt abused and thrown around like a doll, And the safety of having Kevin watch over me was now just dust in the wind. I'm on my own.

I parked the car and ran inside, locked the doors and ran to my brothers room. "Can I sleep here tonight?" he sighed a little yeah, and that had been the creation that  unraveled my now seeming era of sleepless nights.

Only night one.