Ch. 1 Challenges

Five years later

The drive home was dull and fairly calming after a busy day of indoor recesses, noise, and chaos—no real traffic, no unexpected stops or detours. Gareth shivered, the minivan's heater cranked out warmth slowly and miserly. This didn't particularly bother him. Turning onto his street made him shift uneasily in his seat, however, thinking about what might await him at home.

Everyday he tried to fool himself into thinking that Leeann might be a bit better, happier, something nicer...and everyday he was sadly disappointed. In his worn leather messenger bag on the seat next to him sat the crinkled bundle of papers he needed to grade for the following morning—spelling tests from his grade seven class—and his favourite green marking pen, but there was little chance he'd get to them anytime before ten pm, there was, as always, just too much to do.

His three children, as much as they were fantastic, were a lot of work and their mother wasn't really a fan of any of it. Mothering did not come at all naturally to her. While Gareth was quite content to leave partying and the clubs behind in his early university years, Leeann didn't have that experience, barely having graduated high school. She had already given birth to Daisy, the product of drunken tryst at a random party, when she was eighteen, and took on too much way too young to have much of an early adulthood. As a result, Leeann often went out in the evenings now. Gareth wasn't a fan of it, but to keep the peace, he bit his tongue. 

Besides, arguing with Leeann never went in his favour.

He pulled the older model minivan into the slushy driveway of their rented bungalow and tried to paste a smile on his face, although it was difficult because it was obvious that it wasn't going to be a good night. Daisy, his ten year old step-daughter, was sitting amidst discarded cigarette butts out front waiting for him, pulling on her pigtails, chin resting on her knees, and looking far more disheveled than she had this morning. Her book was resting next to her and her coat was open showing that she'd made a hasty exit. Not good for a February afternoon.

"What's up, sweetie?" Gareth asked, voice full of concern, as he climbed out of the vehicle.

"Franny's sick," Daisy frowned, taking his lunch bag from him, being helpful, as she observed Gareth had a lot of school work to bring in.

"Oh." This was a semi-regular occurrence. His brow furrowed. "What's wrong today?"

"I think Mommy gave her eggs again," Daisy said quietly, almost a whisper, before she opened the front door and slipped inside without a sound. 

It was in Daisy's nature to warn him, but she could never handle the wrath of Leeann. She would be safely hidden in the closet before the shit hit the fan. Although caring and helpful, Daisy was an anxious little girl, and seemingly much like Gareth's disposition even though they weren't blood related. Both of them spent most of their time avoiding Leeann's wrath. Living on eggshells was not a fun experience for either of them.

"I don't care if you're going to puke again," Leeann's shrill voice came bellowing down the hall from the back of the house. "You're going to clean it up. NOW!"

Gareth could hear the great, gasping sobs of his five year old daughter echoing off the bathroom walls. Even if she wasn't ill due to consuming eggs, she was so worked up now that vomiting was inevitable. Leaving his grading by the front door, Gareth pulled himself together and waded into the mess, trying to control his gag reflex due to the sour odour. There was a pile of sick in the hall by the bathroom, and just beyond was Leeann, dragging Franny by her cherubic curls towards it. Franny gripped the doorframe like a vise, terrified of both her mother and touching the throw up on the threadbare carpet.