Ch. 30 Business

CH 30

The next few days were hectic. Who would have thought that the aftermath of the incident was almost as upsetting as Daisy's disappearance in the first place?

First thing Monday morning Gareth took Daisy to an appointment at Children's Aid to insure she wasn't suffering from any trauma from the ordeal, then they had to go to the police station for Officer Pauling to finish up his report. He assured Gareth that Leeann had been arrested and charged. Later there was a petition that Andrea had to file to officially get Leeann's custody revoked, which she assured Gareth would be a no brainer given the charges Leeann was facing for neglect, child endangerment and cocaine possession. As well, Andrea was filing a complaint with the court system over the ludicrous decision that put Daisy in danger in the first place. Even if nothing came of it, eventually there might be changes to prevent similar occurrences. All the while, Phillip's business was booming and he had several houses to visit.

Gabe and Franny obviously knew what had happened and were relieved that none of them had to see Leeann anymore, but were still grumpy from having to be dragged around all day. It made Gareth seriously consider going to visit his parents just to have a bit of a breather, but there was no way he was leaving Phillip right now, especially since he seemed so in need of reassurance after their admissions of love for one another the previous evening.

It was tiring and everyone in the household was still recovering from everything--the previous day's upheaval, the sheer volume of paperwork that was completed, and the swinging emotions. Gareth was still going between guilt, anger, and relief over what had happened, and they just needed a few calm days. Rather than tax himself more, Gareth made the executive decision to not cook. Dinner that night was less grand then yesterday's celebratory meal with friends, but they ordered in Chinese and everyone enjoyed at least part of the meal.

After dinner, Gareth took Gabe and Franny to the park, but Phillip and Daisy declined, preferring to stay back to have quiet and read. Daisy was a little put out because she'd left her new book at Leeann's and knew there was no intention of going back to retrieve it. Her mother would probably throw it out, anyway. She simply pulled an old favourite off the shelf, not wanting to think too much, and took up a spot on the sofa. Daisy and Phillip were really like two peas in a pod, and when the younger Lewis children returned with their father, tired out and smiling, Daisy was curled up next to Phillip on the sofa, both engrossed in their novels. Both of them looked exhausted from the whole ordeal and needed time to process everything.

Gareth could tell something was bothering the quiet man, who remained all but silent until bed time. He'd given the children hugs and kisses before bed, but, as strange as it sounds, he was more muted than normal. Phillip drank his tea in silent contemplation, Gareth content to just lounge nearby, know that Phillip would speak when he was ready.

Sure enough, as they spooned under the duvet in the dark, Phillip finally opened up. "I'm so sorry, Gareth. I love you and I'm still amazed that you love me, too. It's not just because of yesterday? Because I brought Daisy home?" His voice was barely a whisper in the unlit room.

Gareth nuzzled Phillip's ear gently, holding Phillip close against his bare chest. "Are you crazy? All I've done is turned your life upside-down, and you're the one that's amazed? You're perfect the way you are and I couldn't help but fall in love with you months ago. I'm just sorry I didn't tell you before."

"I know I'm not perfect," he stated, logically.

"Phillip, I love your imperfections, and you're perfect for me." Gareth lightly kissed his man, the best man, on the shoulder and ran his hand possessively over Phillip's broad chest in affirmation.