Ch. 12 Accusations

A/N: Here's the special Friday update! Thank Fhanth for nagging, and hopefully no one will hate me once they've read it.

CH 12

Gareth was completely exhausted and shaken. An after school meeting had gone completely differently than he had expected. Francine, a caseworker from F and CS (the F'ing CS, as it was generally referred to, was in fact, Family and Children's Services), wanted to stop by for a chat, so Gareth was concerned that one of his students might be in a dangerous situation. Often these meetings were due to some sort of horrible thing that one of his students was experiencing, and it always pulled on Gareth's heart something fierce.

Sadly, Gareth was completely mistaken.

"Gareth, I'm afraid I'm here kind of as a heads up. It's not an official visit and I could lose my job if it got around." She put her finger across her lips to emphasize the secrecy. He and Francine went back rather far, meeting in his first year teaching when he'd had a student with suspicious bruises. Any time they'd had to work together on difficult situations he'd meshed well with the jovial but kind woman, so Gareth was obviously worried.

"Why? What's wrong, Francine?"

She seemed to be struggling for the right words, tactful words, and he could see the regret in her eyes that she had to deliver the news. "We've had a report that has to be investigated. All reports do, no matter how trivial or seemingly unfounded."

Gareth tried to swallow the lump in his throat. Her hesitation was making him exceedingly anxious, usually she was very forthcoming. "Yes?"

"Someone has made a report of misconduct between you and your children." Gareth's brows furrowed with shock and confusion, so Francine clarified, "Your own children, not your students. Abuse of a physical nature, unsatisfactory living conditions, and a few other complaints around inappropriate touching."

Gareth could feel his heart plummet and the bile rise in his throat. He was dizzy with sick. This kind of accusation, no matter how false, could destroy his career and ruin his chances at retaining custody of his children. Especially Daisy, since he wasn't biologically her parent. This could destroy his entire life. He'd have nothing.

Francine noted Gareth's stricken face and continued, "You must understand, I think the complaints are completely false. That's why I'm here. I'm concerned for you, as a friend." She reached across and tried to rub Gareth's shoulder comfortingly, her bangle bracelets softly tinkling together in contrast to his shattered soul.

"I don't know what to say." Gareth's knuckles were white as he gripped the desk for support. He swallowed heavily, trying desperately to keep his lunch where it belonged.

"I know complaints are made anonymously but this one was from a very belligerent female who we believe was intoxicated. She made very vulgar comments and accusations." Francine took a breath, then suggested knowingly, "Have you had any relationship troubles recently?" She was somewhat aware that things with Leeann weren't ideal.

"Leeann..." Realization dawned on Gareth's face and pricks of anger flared through him; he explained the entire situation to Francine while trying to hold it together.

"Tomorrow Pete has to come to do an interview with you, then inspect where you're living and meet with your children and landlord, since it's a shared accommodation." Francine laid out the plan of action. "If he finds anything out of the ordinary, a bigger investigation must be undertaken and you will have to be put on leave from your job."

"But Leeann's the one who was abusive. I have proof!" Gareth pulled out his phone and scrolled through the pictures of his bruises, and Gabe's (from the table incident), for Francine to see. "You can ask Abby, she knows. And most of these pictures directly correspond to the sick days I've taken." He ran his hand through his hair, but fought to keep from pulling it out.