Ch. 15 Triage

CH 15

The next morning, Gareth made sure to spend a lot of time with his kids. He missed them, desperately, and as much as the meetings the previous day were partially for them, he still felt guilty for not seeing them before bed. Especially since the previous two nights were so stressful. Sure, he'd checked in on them briefly before tossing and turning in his own large (and sadly mostly vacant) bed, but it wasn't the same as hugging them and hearing about their day. He didn't understand how Leeann couldn't miss them, although he was very glad that she didn't.

Phillip watched the attentions Gareth paid to the children, the touches and hugs, and couldn't help but be buoyed that this fantastic person had enough left to want to give something of himself to Phillip, too. Sure he was a little jealous that he wasn't getting the same treatment as the kids this morning, but he understood it, and Gareth had still put his hand on Phillip's shoulder, giving him a little squeeze every time he walked by.

Franny's permission form was signed, lunches were packed and the family was out the door, until very quickly, Gareth ran back in and gave Phillip a quick kiss. "I'll see you later, okay?"

Phillip's ears were pink from the gesture. "Sure."

Gareth stood back at the door, hand on the knob, ready to leave again. "Have a great day, Phillip, I'll be home early."

"Okay." Phillip was floating, literally floating, from the heady idea that this was home and Gareth was coming back to him. Specifically.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"Well, how'd it go?" Abby probed as soon as she took a seat in the teacher's lounge.

"Really, Abby, I can't thank you enough. Andrea's fantastic, just like you said. She's started on divorce proceedings, custody filing, and I got a restraining order, too."

"I just wish you had done this all sooner, Gareth. Too bad you couldn't charge her with filing a false F and CS report, too!"

"Well, those reports are anonymous, so we can't be sure it was her."

Abby coughed into her hand, "Bullshit."

"I know, but still."

"What does Phillip think of everything?" Abby asked, watching Gareth's response. From the colour in his cheeks, Abby could tell something was going on.

"I'd say he's pleased."

"Why?"

Gareth took in a breath, knowing there was no turning back. "Because Andrea said our relationship won't impede any custody issues."

"Oh, so now you admit there's a relationship, huh? Tell me all about it." Abby looked gleefully at Gareth over the top of her Diet Coke.

"Well, we've only kissed a bit, but he's about the nicest man I've ever met. And he's attractive and the kids love him." Gareth enthused about Phillip for the next few minutes with Abby asking the appropriate questions to continue the conversation, her inner fangirl coming out.

"Can I meet him? I'd love to see the two of you together. You sound completely smitten."

"I don't know, he's really rather shy around people he doesn't know. Honestly, Phillip's not the most social person. Besides, we've really only been any sort of couple for a few days." It's not that Gareth didn't want Abby to meet Phillip, but he also didn't want to push the shy man into something that could be overwhelming.

"Well, maybe before the end of the school year, I think. That gives you another month or so to firm things up," Abby teased.

"I'll think about it." Gareth took another bite of his sandwich, one very much like the one Phillip made him the night before, making him smile at the thought. "Oh, one more thing."