Ch. 14 Restraint

CH 14

Tensions built over the next day. Phillip and Gareth were still sussing each other out, but didn't want their newfound closeness to be apparent to the children. Tea time devolved into kissing and touching due to pent up feelings over the course of the evening, discussion and consuming tea taking a back seat to their newfound hobby.

When they came up for air, the two were snuggled on the couch, Phillip nominally sitting up and Gareth lounging against him, head on his chest, Phillip's arm wound around him. It was a new feeling for them, one they both relished but were still so very careful of. Neither man was particularly experienced, and as much as they wanted to move things...lower, farther, deeper, they still wanted to take time to feel confident in their feelings for one another. A quick trip to bed wouldn't work in their situation, they had to be able to share a house without regrets and not disrupt the stability the children finally felt.

Gareth shifted slightly so he could meet the other's gaze. "Phillip, are you still okay to take the kids for awhile after school tomorrow? I have the meeting with the lawyer."

"Of course. McDonald's again, I think."

"Brave man." Gareth gave Phillip a wry smile.

"Not at all. Your children are lovely."

"Yeah, that's why last time you had them for the evening you passed out on the couch by nine o'clock."

"It was closer to nine-thirty, I think, and besides I'm liking this couch right now," Phillip stated, hugging Gareth just a bit closer.

"Me too," and he leaned up, bringing his lips to Phillip's, stubble tickling his face in a most delicious way.

After a few more minutes of tender caresses and probing tongues, the men broke apart with a frustrated groan knowing they had responsibilities in the morning that would not wait. Both worked side by side in the kitchen to clear away their tea dishes and kissed close and needy again before going their separate ways for another evening alone where they handled their own frustrations.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

The law firm was right downtown in a series of mid-century low-rise brick office buildings that all looked pretty similar. Gareth was lucky enough to maneuver Phillip's large sedan into an on-street parking spot with a working meter right out front of the correct building and a cache of quarters in the cupholder that assured he wouldn't get towed. He was so nervous that getting the coins in the slot was a fine motor skill test that he wasn't sure he would pass, but eventually managed to slip enough change in the metal maw that he was paid in full for two hours. Although this was just an initial meeting to get advice, Gareth was pretty sure the advice would be to retain counsel and fast.

The doors swooshed closed with a finality that encouraged Gareth to move to the bank of elevators quickly, checking to ensure that he was, in fact, in the correct spot. When he reached the fifth floor, Gareth stepped out to find Bill, Abby's fiance, waiting for him.

"Hi Gareth, nice to see you again, although I'm sorry it couldn't be under better circumstances." Bill shook his hand with the firm grip of a professional and led Gareth past the dark wooden reception desk adorned with the golden lettering reading Attorneys at Law, Anderson, Gates and Barnsley, of which Bill was the Anderson in question. Gareth was meeting with Barnsley. "I promise you, Andrea is fantastic at what she does, and Abby is thrilled that we could do something to help. She's been so worried about you over the past few years."

"I can't thank you enough for setting this up for me, lord knows Abby's been a great support."

The two stopped at the door to a meeting room where Bill introduced a fairly nondescript woman in a well tailored suit as one of his partners. "I'd like you to meet Gareth, Andrea. He works with Abby and is in quite a jam with his ex."