Ch. 23 Alone

CH 23

The next few weeks flew by and suddenly, the schools disgorged their contents for two whole months. It was finally summer break, and Gareth was relieved to put the tumultuous school year behind him. It would be so much easier to finally settle everything when he didn't have to worry about the constant grading and parent phone calls nagging at him every evening on top of his family responsibilities and developing relationship with Phillip.

He spent a few extra minutes after his final students had left tidying his room so that the custodians could buff the floors over the break, and loading his van with items and gifts to take home. There were the requisite 'Best Teacher' mugs, some gift cards, and a few boxes of chocolates. Giving Abby a quick hug, he again agreed that the two couples would do something over the summer aside from Phillip's possible court case. With a final once over, he turned out the lights and shut the door to his classroom for the last time of the year.

Once arriving home, Gareth relaxed on the couch with his children who had been excitedly showing off their report cards to Phillip. They quickly turned their attentions to their father. Daisy's grades were, as always, impeccable, Franny's report from kindergarten was glowing, and for once, Gabe was exceedingly happy with how well he'd done.

"Look Daddy, I did good! I improved a whole grade in my reading and writing, and I even got an A minus in science!" He was beaming from ear to ear, waving his official papers.

Since starting the special program to help him deal with his dyslexia, Gabe's competency in school had improved a lot. As much as he faced some teasing about being withdrawn from regular classes to meet with the special education teacher a few times per week, it had obviously helped. It's not like the learning disability was cured or anything, but Gabe had developed coping strategies, or "tricks" as Gabe was fond of saying, that helped him decode the jumble of letters on a page. He would still require more help, but even the little he'd received so far had made a huge difference. This proved what Gareth always believed, Gabe wasn't stupid, in fact he was quite smart, he just needed the right tools to learn effectively. The additional confidence in the classroom made for a better attitude towards learning and Gareth wished Gabe could have started the program earlier--but it was yet another regret that he had from the years he'd spent with Leeann.

"How about for all the great reports and to celebrate summer, we order a pizza and have a movie night?" Phillip suggested, after realizing that Gareth was exhausted from dealing with his own students on the last day, and neither man wanted to cook.

"Really?" Franny gasped, excitedly. "You mean I can stay up late?" She was literally bouncing, her curls jiggling wildly around her head.

Gareth held his hands out in mock surrender. "Well, not too late, but you guys can all sleep in tomorrow. Phillip is the only one who has to be up for work," he said, stifling a yawn.

"Awesome!" Gabe began scrolling through the movie options for rent on the tv screen while Daisy started discussing topping selections with Phillip. Gareth just closed his eyes and leaned his head back against the sofa cushions letting everything go on around him.

......................................................

As the two men cuddled in bed, Gareth lavished Phillip's collarbone with kisses, luxuriating in his partner's taut muscular shoulders. He was sure Phillip was getting more buff than they'd been even a month ago due to all the work he'd been doing, and Gareth wasn't complaining. Instead he nibbled at his boyfriend's shoulder. Phillip groaned regretfully, pulling away. "I have to work in the morning, Gareth."

"I know, I was just enjoying the way you taste." Gareth ran his nose up Phillip's neck to his earlobe, taking a deep breath, then whispering, "and the way you smell, too. Honestly Phillip," he wrapped his lean arms around the other man and snuggled in tight, "I can't believe I met you."