Ch. 2 Alone

CH. 2.

The laundry was started, the sick taken care of, and two of the three children were sitting at the table eating dinner. Franny had some toast and was curled up on the sofa in the other room with an apple juice box and in clean pyjamas, her soiled clothes from earlier in the wash. There wasn't much food in the house, so Gareth, Daisy, and Gabe were eating Kraft Dinner with peas and ketchup, a good comfort food following a trying afternoon. Gareth supposed he would have to go grocery shopping on Saturday since there was no way he could go out when he was taking a sick day tomorrow—the last thing he wanted to happen was to get written up for taking a day inappropriately.

Leeann said she was doing the shopping today, but then she said she was going to do the laundry as well, and Gareth already knew that didn't happen. But she did take the cash that was set aside for groceries. He sighed then smiled at Daisy and Gabe. Even if their mother wasn't the best, and let's face it, that might be an understatement, their children were amazing. He was thankful for them every single day, which was the only reason why he put up with their mother.

........................................

"Hey, Abby," Gareth spoke quietly into the phone after the kids were in bed. "I have to take a sick day tomorrow. Could you put out my emergency plans for my classes?" She was the other grade seven teacher at his school. Tall, with coffee coloured skin, Abby had the respect of her students due to her compassion, but her take no nonsense attitude kept them from walking all over her. Really, an ideal upper grade teacher.

He could hear Abby take in a sharp breath, "Sure Gareth. What is it this time?"

"Nothing, really, just a bit under the weather," he supplied, even though he was certain that Abby wasn't buying it.

Nope. 

"Really?" her voice had a disbelieving, sarcastic tone. "Look Gareth, you need to get yourself and your kids away from her. She's totally toxic and takes advantage of you."

"You just don't understand, Abby," Gareth argued weakly. Deep down he knew Abby was right, but it was so hard and Leeann needed him, or at least that's what she said. Sometimes. Besides, there was no way he could afford before and after school care for the kids, if Leeann wasn't around. He needed her, too. Sort of.

"No Gareth, I don't understand. You're the nicest guy I know and she's going to seriously injure you one day. Domestic violence happens to men, too," Abby argued, even though they'd had the same conversation more than once before. 

Could it really be considered domestic violence if they weren't really in a romantic relationship? He supposed it could, but either way, it was completely and utterly embarrassing.

"Look, I appreciate your concern and all, but I have to go and finish the laundry. I promise I'm fine."

"At least take a picture of the bruises. Please Gareth," Abby cajoled, knowing Gareth was definitely not fine.

"Okay," Gareth acquiesced. It wouldn't be the first time he'd done it. His phone actually held several such photos that he kept just in case. Gareth might be a pushover, but he wasn't a total idiot. He labelled that particular roll "class photos" because if there was one thing Leeann hated more than hearing about his students, it was seeing pictures of them.

"Thank you. Now stay safe and don't worry about your classes. I'll make sure your plans are on your desk and your kids are taken care of," Abby said.

"Thanks again, Ab. See you Monday," Gareth hung up quickly, determined to take a few pictures of his swollen jaw before bed and prior to Leeann returning.