Ch. 24 Twilight

A/N: Warning, mature content. Also, there are NO vampires, werewolves, or guys who sparkle in this chapter. ;)

CH 24

As much as he missed them while they were gone, it took a few days for Phillip to adjust to the bustle of having the family home again, even though it sounded amazing to say they were home. As part of his attempt to be more for Gareth, because he still didn't fully believe Mel's assertion that Gareth loved him (or at least liked him a great deal) the way he was, Phillip was trying to be there for the children even more. Besides, he really did care greatly for the children, too.

As a result, later in the week Phillip sat with the girls at bedtime while Daisy read Franny a story. Gareth had 'guy time' with Gabe, and Phillip was taking a turn at tucking in the girls. It was a lovely book that Franny had picked out at the library about two sisters who were fighting over their room. Franny giggled at the appropriate spots and Daisy read with emphasis and funny voices to make it that much more silly. All three of them sat back, leaning against the headboard, with Franny in the middle.

Phillip's thoughts drifted off while looking around the room. When staying in the house was just a stop gap for them, perhaps the old lady decor was fine, but he really wanted the Lewises to live here. He wanted them, no needed them, to be here. For good. Maybe it was selfish, but it was the truth and he learned his lesson while they were away. And he wanted the girls to make this room theirs. The only thing in the room that wasn't really dated was that terrible spider plant, which the girls took very good care of, much to his chagrin. It even had a few trailers coming off, looking to propagate.

A small hand found it's way into his, and Phillip looked down to where they were laced together. Franny squeezed lightly. "Phillip, thank you for sitting with us," she said with a yawn. Franny took her hand from Phillip's then gave him a hug. He kissed her on the forehead.

Phillip stood and walked around to the other side of the bed, where Daisy's novel was resting on the night table. As he leaned down to give her a hug, she sighed.

"What's wrong?"

"Nothing, it's light out. I just wish I could read a little later, but I know I can't keep Franny up."

They said their goodnights, but an idea began to blossom in Phillip's mind.

.......................................................

"Are you bothered we sleep in a pink floral room?" Phillip asked Gareth over tea. The two men were lounging together on the sofa with a cooking show playing on the television for background noise. Gareth nestled against Phillip's t-shirt clad chest, lying between the man's legs.

Gareth tilted his head up to look at Phillip's face. "I haven't really thought about it since we first moved in." But then he chuckled lightly. "When we first pulled up, I did think that perhaps an older gentleman lived here, someone recently widowed, maybe."

Phillip mulled over his thoughts for a bit, nibbling on his lips in a way that Gareth thought was most endearing. A few times he opened his mouth to speak before he finally said, "I think we should redecorate the girls' room."

Gareth was unclear as to how Phillip made that jump, but he didn't disagree. "Yeah, I suppose it is a fairly dated, but that's something that can wait for a little while at least. The girls' birthdays are both in September, maybe we could redo the room as a birthday present? At least neither of them mind it being pink."

Phillip thought for a little longer before nodding. "Daisy needs space to do homework, read, and a bookshelf, and Franny needs somewhere for her stuff, too." He chewed on his lip again before adding, "Maybe a bunkbed, separate dressers, paint, and a new carpet."