Ch. 8 Learning

Ch. 8

On Tuesday, Phillip had to work. He waited the requisite amount of time for the Lewises to be out of the house before getting out of bed, and he found coffee, cooling toast, and his paper on the table. The kindness of the gesture was not lost on him, even though he was a bit off. It was a drizzly kind of day and somehow the weather matched his mood. Although it was only the fourth day the family was with him, it seemed he actually missed seeing the kids in the morning. Finding everything waiting also made him think that maybe he disappointed the children, and now his house just seemed oddly empty.

There was an errant piece of paper on the counter, and on further inspection it was from Gareth. Phillip couldn't help but examine the broad and clear teacher writing that Gareth used. His letters tidy and even, kind of like the man who put them to paper. It reminded him of his own time in school, but this was a list of important numbers and information with an apologetic note.

It was entirely practical for Gareth to leave health card numbers, emergency contact information and birthdates for the children, as well as Gareth's work and cell phone number. After all, they were sort of under Phillip's care for about forty-five minutes in the morning, and yesterday Phillip had been truly scared for a few seconds before the nature of Franny's accident had been ascertained. While Phillip affixed the paper to the top corner of the refrigerator door, he realized that maybe being up in the mornings to see the kids and the father off wouldn't be such a bad thing. Only a small adjustment to Phillip's schedule would have to be made.

At work, Phillip pruned and watered and fertilized. He was in his element, comfortable. Caring for plants was easy for him, almost second nature, and there were few customers on such a cool, rainy day. He was lucky his job allowed him to get his gardening fix, even in winter, but who knows how much longer it could last. It did set him to thinking; he needed to do something about his work situation. And maybe something for the kids, too?

"Mel?" Phillip approached his manager as she set up a display of plant stands and decorative pots. Always in motion, her spiky hair was out in all directions, held off her face by a polka dotted hair band. Honestly she reminded him of Sonic the Hedgehog, but in a totally non-insulting way.

She turned and smiled broadly, "What's up, Phillip?"

"Two things, actually. Could you give me a reference?"

"Like job reference?" she asked and Phillip nodded. "Of course, no one knows gardens like you. But wouldn't you want one from someone more influential?"

"I already have one from Mrs. Bentman. A second is handy. I believe three is the expected norm."

"If you have Mrs. Bentman's, you're golden, Phillip, but I'll still give you one. Now what was the second thing?" She was looking at a tray of tropical foliage to add to the display but couldn't decide, so Phillip reached over and handed her two exemplary specimens. "Thanks." She plopped them into complementary pots of vibrant colours.

"I need some plants."

"Oh for heaven's sake, you're the garden guru. I'm pretty sure you have lots of plants." Mel shook her head incredulously while chuckling.

Phillip cleared his throat nervously and clarified, "I need some indoor plants suitable for children. Definitely not my area of expertise."

Mel cocked her eyebrow and put her hand on her hip, giving Phillip a little bump. "Interesting...whose kids?"

He was uncomfortable, very uncomfortable. "Just, uh, nevermind." Phillip realized he was being ridiculous. Really, they were only here until the end of the week probably, anyway. He turned away and walked off, leaving a very confused Mel behind.